Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thinking of using airvent/airduct/furance cleaners.

I was wondering if anyone in here has used any of those outfits that
clean your air vent/air duct cleaners who brings a big truck with a
pop up roof?

I've been calling around for estimates and information and from what I
gather there are those who use a hose to send down your hot air vents
and cold air returns to blow with compressed down to your mainlines to
which the vacuum hose would be attached and suck out the dust.

Another type, supposedly more thorough cleaning, is first sending down
a rotating brush down the hot air vents, then use the hose with the
compressed air. I was told that they don't brush the cold air returns
because sometimes there are electrical wires and cables running
through them.

Do these types of duct cleaners really work to reduce your household
dust and would the brush method be that much cleaner? The places I've
called are all registered with the local BBB and have good records.

Thoughts? Thanks for your time and courtesy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

eezeeduzit | 2009-07-17 | 9:42:21 PM wrote:

[...]

I haven't used these services, and I don't recommend them to my
clients, because all the serious reviews say they're not worth
it--they're a solution in search of a problem. There's not much dust in
your ducts to start with, and if it's not coming out on its own, it's
not a problem.

Of course, you might have a special case, so I guess this should be a
qualified recommendation to save your money. But before you make up
your mind, read reviews by people who don't sell the service.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 17, 9:42*pm, eezeeduzit wrote:
[...]

Total waste of money for 99% of the population. Furnaces and AC have
filters which can keep ducting clean for years. For the $$ you will be
overcharged, you can buy dozens of super duper ultra high performance
furnace filters. Duct cleaning is one of those legal but foolish
businesses that are basically a feel good operation. If dust is a
problem in your house, it isn't from dirty ductwork. The dirt or dust
arrives from elsewhere, like fibers from cheap carpets, animal fur,
poor clothes dryer venting, etc. Look around, find the source(s),
correct them, instal good filtration and change filters often. Take
the money you will save and treat your bride to a fabulous weekend at
the nearest posh resort in your area.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
[...]

I believe there is an EPA site that says pretty much the same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

What ever is there has made a stabil coating in the ducts that isnt
going anywhere. I had mine cleaned then It made me sick for weeks,
Maybe previous people had cats that im alergic to and cleaning
loosened everything, I dont know what it was but I would not do it
again. Have a pro clean the furnace and AC coils and check everything,
that will get you an efficent unit that works as designed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

eezeeduzit wrote:
[...]

About the only time duct cleaning is called for is after a (small) fire. The
cleaning will remove (most of) the soot and the smoke smell.

I had a renter (the Consul General of Costa Rica) who kept a vat of boiling
oil on the stove just in case a member of the family wanted a snack - like a
banana. Anyway, it caught fire and smoke filled the house before steps could
be taken.

Duct cleaning did mitigate the resultant odor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

eezeeduzit wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone in here has used any of those outfits that
clean your air vent/air duct cleaners who brings a big truck with a
pop up roof?

I go along with the "don't bother."

If you have floor vents, you may wel find stuff left behind when your place
was orginally constructed. Get that out with your basic "shop vac."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, thanks for all your replies. Certainly made me open my eyes a
bit. However, my neighbor has already booked an appointment with a
local company and they're supposed to come out this Saturday. I plan
on watching what they do and also see if I can witness any of the
supposed dust build up in the ducts get cleaned and vacuumed away.

I'll report back with what I see. Oh, and Bob, would you happen to
have a link to that EPA site handy? Thanks.

Price of a new gas furance [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 16th 07 06:34 PM
Bryant furance inducer problem Knick Home Repair 7 February 2nd 05 03:35 PM
Oil Furance Fiasco Romwar Home Repair 22 November 30th 04 12:17 AM
Furance Reviews / Ratings xxx Home Repair 12 November 29th 04 03:50 AM
chimney liner, gas furance TP Home Repair 3 September 30th 04 11:21 AM