Junior Member

Default Oil Furance Fiasco

Hello,

I had my oil furnace serviced yesterday by my oil comany. During the servicing the nozzle and filter were replaced and the flue was cleaned. After the repairman left I noticed a strong odor of oil in the heated air which was not present before he worked on it and I thought this was just from stirring things up in the furnace and flue and that it would go away soon.

Well, next morning the smell was still very strong so I called and the repairman came back for a look. When he looked he found a large crack in the side of the combustion chamber. The chamber will cost $1500 to replace according to this guy.

This left me feeling as though I'm being taken advantage of. Shouldn't a crack in the combustion chamber been detected during the maintenace? The crack was in a remote location, so I can understand how he would not have seen it directly on his first visit, but he did take CO2, stack temp, and draft measurements and I think this problem should have been caught.

Now I know very little about oil furnaces, so I'm hoping I can get a little advice or opinion on this situation. I still haven't decided if I'm going to replace the combustion chamber. I was thinking I might be able to epoxy the crack. I'd like to know if this is possible so that I can save myself a lot of money. Of course, I need to be sure that the solution is also safe.

Thanks
Greg O

--
Romwar

First off get a second opinion, second, if there is a crack, replace the
heat exchanger, or the whole furnace. Third, do not run the furnace untill
you get it repaired! This is not something you mess around with and try
patch, it can kill you!
Greg

Bubba

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:52:20 +0000, Romwar
wrote:

[...]

Epoxy the crack?? WTF! Holly ****! Now Ive heard everything. You
freakin idiot. Get a second opinion. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT attempt
some stupid home remedy repair on a heat exchanger that may cost your
or your family their lives. Get a qualified HVAC company out that
specializes in oil. In specific, make sure your tech comes out with a
digital combustion analyzer and that he knows how to use it. You might
also not want to look for the cheapest hack you can find.
Bubba
Red Neckerson

Don't repair it!! You are just asking for trouble (or death!)

If it DOES have a crack, get at least 3 QUOTES (from 3 different companies)
and replace the furnace. Unless it is less than 10 years old, I wouldn't
bother just replacing the heat exchanger.....

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Romwar" wrote in message

[...]

How long was the first guy there? When we service oil, it takes over an hour
and leaves the tech smelling like he went for a dip in your storage tank.
if he was there about 30 minutes, he just changed the nozzle and perhaps
went looking it over....and if you paid less than $100..thats what you got.

Now I know very little about oil furnaces, so I'm hoping I can get a
little advice or opinion on this situation. I still haven't decided if
I'm going to replace the combustion chamber. I was thinking I might be
able to epoxy the crack. I'd like to know if this is possible so that
I can save myself a lot of money. Of course, I need to be sure that
the solution is also safe.

Ok..for starters....unless you have a ThermoPride, and the units under 10
years old, get a new unit, but shop around for a bit. Get at least 3 quotes,
and be prepared to pay for them..
Epoxy the crack? Bubba said it best, Holy **** are you that stupid? Heat
exchangers are NOT to be repaired, they are to be thrown away when
cracked...period. Your life may depend on it...if you are sure you wanna
epoxy it, ask yourself this..would you crank your car up in the garage, and
close the door, and take a nap out there?
if not..replace the unit, or exchanger...
oh..its illegal in most states for a tech to leave your unit operational if
its got a crack in the exchanger, so, I dont know why you still have heat.
Here, we can do two things...shut it off, or shut it off and call an
inspector, who then will condem the home until it is repaired.
I would be wondering more about that first company, and WHY they didnt
dis-able the unit.

Thanks

--
Romwar

Chet Hayes

wrote:

[...]

And how old is the furnace? Typically when a crack like this occurs,
it's at the end of the life of the furnace, so you replace the
furnace. You can't patch the heat exchanger, because not only won't
it work, but it can kill you with CO.
m Ransley

Stop pay on the check, get a different tech, you been had by a hack.
OMG EPOXY !!!

Gene

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:13:36 GMT, Bubba
wrote:

Epoxy the crack?? WTF! Holly ****! Now Ive heard everything. You
freakin idiot. Get a second opinion. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT attempt
some stupid home remedy repair on a heat exchanger that may cost your
or your family their lives. Get a qualified HVAC company out that
specializes in oil. In specific, make sure your tech comes out with a
digital combustion analyzer and that he knows how to use it. You might
also not want to look for the cheapest hack you can find.
Bubba

Now now Bubba, he did ask if it was safe. Obviously it isin't

However, I would side with you on the re-inspection but I am curious
as to what this is. By this, I mean if there's a crack, then wouldn't
sealing it stop the outflow of dangerous gases?

Or is there something that we (Of the non-oil and ignorant) don't
understand or see.

Could you elaborate?
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

wrote:

[...]

You mean to elaborate as to why repairs on heat exchangers and burner
compartments is not done, but replacement is?

Gene

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:21:35 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I would say that's my question. Thank you
Bubba

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:02:38 GMT, Gene wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:21:35 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Well Gene, you are making it into to the marks of utter wisdomless.
I wont be held liable for trying to patch/weld/muck-up a heat
exchanger. It will most likely take me longer to repair one (which I
wont and dont do) than to install a new heat exchanger. The original
poster was wanting to epoxy a crack in a heat exchanger. Have you ever
seen a Williamson heat exchanger? Very thick metal. Then it gets a
flame beat on it. You would epoxy that? Not I. Now the poster could
have even been talking about the refractory in the oil furnace. I dont
know. Either way, I dont repair those either. They get replaced too if
they are available.
A cracked heat exchanger means you either get a new heat exchanger or
a new furnace. NO OTHER CHOICES!
Bubba
Gene

wrote:

[...]

You know Bubba, if you'd have a pill or two, before you post. You
might actually come across as a decent person, instead of the
analretentive you appear to be.

I asked for a seemingly simple explaination, it's sad someone who
seems to be *possibly* qualified to do such a repair, has no
conception of explaining it.

Sadly, I expect to later find out, you have procreated. Mankind
shall forever be condemed.

Bubba

wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:02:38 GMT, Gene wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:21:35 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Boo Hoo. Didnt get the answer on a silver platter the way you wanted
it. Gee.Now you're just a bitchy homemoaner. Like Ive never seen that
before.
Cry me a river. If you cant take letters tossed at you on a screen Id
hate to see what you do in person if someone yells at you.
Patch a damn heat exchanger indeed. If you only knew how dangerous
that can be. You'd understand my tone iafter you see it a few hundred
times.
Bubba.
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

wrote:

[...]

Bubba is right...even if you dont like the reply.
To someone that has seen heat exchangers that someone has tried to repair,
and the later problems, and the fact that anyone with a licnece to do this
work has a responsibility not to kill anyone, its a silly question.
Here is the deal..
the unit is cracked. You go to repair it....it cracked in a weak spot..for
whatever reason..overfiring, lack of airflow....whatever...you weld it say..
the weld is not as strong as the original material...it will either fail
again there, or in another place that is stressed, or about to crack.
In order to find out, you take it out and MagnaFlux it, X-Ray it and chances
are, you are gonna find 100 smaller cracks that have not shown themselves
yet, but will soon.
The weld is made, the customer is left with a feeling of security, and hes
not safe at all. he will fail to check it later and will possibly wake up
dead.
The cost to remove the old exchanger, MagnaFlux it, X-Ray it, and put it
back in after the repairs exceeds the price of a new unit, so why even
bother?
Plus, the customer is safe, and the contractor can sleep at night, not
worried if the repair he just did will kill the family of 4 or not.
I had pics on my site one time of an oil unit that someone had tried to
repair. When it failed the same month, the people didnt realize it until the
white curtians in teh home turned black overnight.
Needless to say, that Wiliamson oil burner got pulled and a new unit got put
in.
I like ThermoPride if you can afford it. they are made right down the road
here in Denton, and while they are not cheap, they are the Caddy of the oil
burners.
If a customer cant afford a ThermoPride, they get a York..and the ONLY
difference I see is the heat exchangers..the ThermoPride is copper coated,
while the York is not.
Both have a lifetime warranty on the exchangers, and both heat the home..

Gene

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:06:27 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I never said that. I don't see where someone is asking a question
and admits to not knowing why something is done a certian way, is open
to insults by someone who mental capacity seems to be below the norm

Your reply to my question is that which is useful and exapnds my
understanding of what is involved and why it's done *This way and no
other* and the reasons why.

When I was quite young, we used to have oil, but after a couple of
decades, we found that electric was a better (Safer/cheaper) option
and have gone that route.

However, this was a curious thing to me as some of the houses in
this area, do have oil/gas heat and I am trying to understand the + or
- of each so that when I do buy, I look at each option for their
points and knowing the drawbacks if any.

To someone that has seen heat exchangers that someone has tried to repair,
and the later problems, and the fact that anyone with a licnece to do this
work has a responsibility not to kill anyone, its a silly question.

It is not silly if one does not understand. I guess you ask stupid
questions also?

[...]

OK, now I understand the reasons. Wouldn't have been better to have
explained it without all the insults from you and the mentally
challenged Bubba? Is there something that says "I must insult this
person?"

I don't doubt you have friends, but they probably know you and by
now have learned to live with you and *ahem* your family.

As for "Bubba" (sigh) we're stuck with those types for a long time.
Bubba

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:54:59 GMT, Gene wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:06:27 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

You're still a whiner and your skin is as thin as paper. I also know
that you didnt only ask about the heat exchanger out of curiousity but
because you are a cheap ass. Somewhere out there you have a friend or
even your own that you were going to somehow try and get a heat
exchanger repaired. Either that or you were trying to gather info so
that you could complain to a company that was trying to replace a heat
exchanger instead of what you thought would be a cheaper repair. Your
question was bull**** and you know it.
My crystal ball says so.
Bubba
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Gene" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:06:27 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

No one said anything about your mental capacity...

[...]

I guess you like putting words in peoples mouths...
Silly-Stupid...there is a difference, and I never said stupid.

[...]

What family might that be? Around these parts, the only ones that would have
been even slightly offended by that would have been a lying two faced prick.
We say what we mean, and mean what we say. If point blank does not get it,
then sorry.

As for "Bubba" (sigh) we're stuck with those types for a long time.

You dont have to go deal with this crap all day long, and then actually
offer your time and advice for free later so I wont even bother trying to
explain it all.

Gary R. Lloyd

wrote:

[...]

Among the most common mistakes made by new apprentices in the industry
is attempting to repair parts instead of replacing them. It almost
always ends up costing more and is sometimes dangerous. In this case
it is potentially deadly. A patched up heat exchanger cannot be
trusted, and you are gambling with your life.

An experienced service tech will replace parts, rather than try to
repair them. Yes, I know that parts changers have a bad rep, but that
is because they change the wrong parts. Their failure is not in
replacement, but in troubleshooting. A skilled service tech learns as
much as he can about the machine, troubleshoots correctly (buys my
books), and replaces the right part. A skilled DIYer does the same.

Overall, DIYers are good for business. In an effort to save a few
dollars, they generally screw the machine up to the point where it
costs ten times as much to fix it.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS
HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software
https://www.merchantamerica.com/tmethod/

Harry K

wrote:

[...]

Well not really. Gene didn't say he didn't like the answer, he said
he didn't -get- an answer and he didn't. The question was why you
don't repair them. I know about oil furnaces and I don't see a good
explanation of -why- you don't repair them even tho I know why. Your
answer is much better.

Harry K

Junior Member

Update:

A friend of mine who's experienced with oil furnaces advised me to buy a new furnace unless the unit is less than 10yrs old, in which case I should replace the combustion chamber. He doesn't work in Connecticut, so other than advice over the phone he can't help me any further. I've decided to replace the unit, which is a Heil NUOD084EF01. I'm not sure exactly how old it is, but it looks more than ten years old to me. So I called a distributor and he told me the replacement model for this unit is NOMF105 and he sells them for about $1300. I'm having trouble getting prices from any of the others I've called though. They just give me the "we can't tell you the price unless you are a contractor" bull****. Nice little monopoly if you ask me.

So, I was wondering what I should expect to purchase one and have it installed? It's an easy access location and as far as I know the ductwork will match up to this newer model so the install should not be very complicated. I'd appreciate any advice on what this may cost. I am in the central Connecticut area and its getting cold here and everyone's busy. This could not have happened at a worse time.

Thanks to everyone who contributed advice so far, a lot of good information here.
Bubba

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:33:17 +0000, Romwar
wrote:

[...]

Calling a distributor and getting it installed is two different
things. Before you buy that "great deal" of a furnace you may wish to
call a few companies and see if they are willing to install a furnace
for labor only that you already purchased. Be prepared. Most wont do
it. If they do, you will usually find some non busy out of work hack
to do it. Once it is installed you will most likely get no warranty
out of the installing guy. You see, by purchasing it yourself, you
have just cut out some of the profit to the installing company. Less
profit means you will get less of something. In this case, it will be
less warranty. Weight your decisions before you hand out the cash on
what you think might be a good deal.
And just for good measure because Im feeling so generous, you might
want to make sure that the installing guy HAS and knows how to use
some digital combustion efficiency tools. If he tells you he is going
to "eyeball" it, "RUN FOREST, RUN!"
Bubba
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Romwar" wrote in message

Update:

A friend of mine who's experienced with oil furnaces advised me to buy
a new furnace unless the unit is less than 10yrs old, in which case I
should replace the combustion chamber. He doesn't work in Connecticut,
so other than advice over the phone he can't help me any further. I've
decided to replace the unit, which is a Heil NUOD084EF01. I'm not sure
exactly how old it is, but it looks more than ten years old to me. So I
called a distributor and he told me the replacement model for this unit
is NOMF105 and he sells them for about $1300. I'm having trouble
getting prices from any of the others I've called though. They just
give me the "we can't tell you the price unless you are a contractor"
bull****. Nice little monopoly if you ask me.

Bull****? Nope..the law , is the law.
Most states require for a reason that fuel burning appliances such as a
furnace be installed by a licenced and insured contractor.
After you buy the furnace, are you going to spend the $1900 on the
combustion tester for the unit?
How about the $250 for the cheap fuel pressure tester?
You know about combustion air, nozzle sizing, spray patterns, and such
right? You know that the nozzle IN the unit, might not be the nozzle YOU
need for your application...might be why you have a damaged unit now.

So, I was wondering what I should expect to purchase one and have it
installed? It's an easy access location and as far as I know the
ductwork will match up to this newer model so the install should not be
very complicated. I'd appreciate any advice on what this may cost. I
am in the central Connecticut area and its getting cold here and
everyone's busy. This could not have happened at a worse time.

It depends. I have done some smaller units for under $1000 for people that
cant afford more.
I have put in a few larger units for over $5,000..depends. What you see as
easy might be a ductwork modification nightmare.And for the record, it is a
rare day indeed when the old duct matches the new unit.