Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Thinking of using airvent/airduct/furance cleaners.

On Jul 17, 9:42*pm, eezeeduzit wrote:
I was wondering if anyone in here has used any of those outfits that
clean your air vent/air duct cleaners who brings a big truck with a
pop up roof?

I've been calling around for estimates and information and from what I
gather there are those who use a hose to send down your hot air vents
and cold air returns to blow with compressed down to your mainlines to
which the vacuum hose would be attached and suck out the dust.

Another type, supposedly more thorough cleaning, is first sending down
a rotating brush down the hot air vents, then use the hose with the
compressed air. *I was told that they don't brush the cold air returns
because sometimes there are electrical wires and cables running
through them.

Do these types of duct cleaners really work to reduce your household
dust and would the brush method be that much cleaner? *The places I've
called are all registered with the local BBB and have good records.

Thoughts? *Thanks for your time and courtesy.

Total waste of money for 99% of the population. Furnaces and AC have
filters which can keep ducting clean for years. For the $$ you will be
overcharged, you can buy dozens of super duper ultra high performance
furnace filters. Duct cleaning is one of those legal but foolish
businesses that are basically a feel good operation. If dust is a
problem in your house, it isn't from dirty ductwork. The dirt or dust
arrives from elsewhere, like fibers from cheap carpets, animal fur,
poor clothes dryer venting, etc. Look around, find the source(s),
correct them, instal good filtration and change filters often. Take
the money you will save and treat your bride to a fabulous weekend at
the nearest posh resort in your area.

Joe