TP

Default chimney liner, gas furance

What a rip off. 10$ a foot. An aluminum expandable 4” dia, pipe
for a liner. Now (NYS) required to line the chimney when you
replace the (90%+) furnace with a direct (PVC) vent. Because
the chimney will not have both furnace and hot water tank using
the flue, the moisture content could deteriorate the flue. :-(
Well during the summer months the furnace isn’t using the flue
either, and the flue has been fine for over 50 years. Probably
longer than that accordion aluminum pipe will last…
toller

As of last fall, you were not required to use a liner. RG&E said one was
not necessary when I put my HighE furnace in because it was already tiled
and ran up through the center of the house.

Anyhow, you miss the reason for a liner. In the summer the humidity from
the water heater just goes up the chimney. In the winter it can chill and
condense before it get out. Being acidic, it can attack the chimney.

And if I recall correctly, the liner was supposed to be SS. One company
said they alway use liners, one said they never use liners, and the other 2
did inspections and measurements and said I didn't need one.

I was happy with my installation, if you want a recommendation; though I
still wonder if I should have used a liner.

HvacTech2

Hi TP, hope you are having a nice day

On 29-Sep-04 At About 21:11:08, TP wrote to All
Subject: chimney liner, gas furance

T From: TP

T :-( Well during the
T summer months the furnace isn’t using the flue either, and the flue
T has been fine for over 50 years. Probably longer than that accordion
T aluminum pipe will last…

Yes, but during the summer months it isn't cold outside which means there
isn't much of a chance for condensation.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... How do you know it's summer in Seattle? The rain's warmer.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

HvacTech2 wrote:

Yes, but during the summer months it isn't cold outside which means there
isn't much of a chance for condensation.

Dew tell.

Nick

Does an exiting chimney require a flue liner? Hamish Marson UK diy 17 November 24th 05 10:42 AM
Chimney liner confusion Brian Andrews Home Repair 8 August 26th 04 06:47 PM
Chimney liner advice Mike A UK diy 3 April 4th 04 08:35 AM
[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM
Smelly chimney liner? NickW UK diy 2 November 25th 03 03:21 PM