Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Staining Concrete

My concrete guy is MIA. He poured concrete, and stamped half of it. I need
to clean up the job with a power washer, as he got a little fresh on old.
Nothing major, and I've got a MONDO power washer.

My question is: Is staining about 1000 sf of concrete something a diy
newbie can do? We did our family room, with concrete paint, mixing in gold
highlights, then sealed it. It was work, but no big deal. I also want to
seal it, and still have some sealer left, although I'll check with the
concrete supplier before using THAT on THIS job. I can buy from the local
supplier in five gallon buckets.

We want an acceptable job. He was very good, and could have given us a
multicolored job, and it would probably have looked good, but he can't do
dick if he don't call or show up. Damn. People screaming for jobs, and no
one wants to work. What's up with that?

I suspect we'll have to go buy some big rollers, and maybe a few specialty
items, but I don't see it being that big a deal.

What say ye?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Couldn't tell you about the concrete work, but don't automatically get
mad at the MIA guy. I was once working on a project (remote) with a guy
a couple states away and I couldn't get in touch with him to continue
the project for a couple weeks. I finally got someone else in the area
and promptly found out that the guy I had been working with was dead

**** happens after all...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

he can't do
dick if he don't call or show up. Damn. People screaming for jobs, and no
one wants to work. What's up with that?

Alcoholism. Seems prevalent in the trades, particularly the one-man
operations. These guys had to start their own business because they
couldn't hold a job. Seen it with electricians, plumbers, flooring guys,
painters, ...

Last flooring guy I had asked for an advance after the second day on the
job. Disappeared for three days and when he came back the front end of
his car was caved in. After I gave him the final check, he disappeared
for two weeks, then called me to ask when he could pick up his fans,
which he had borrowed from someone else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 08:59:02 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

My question is: Is staining about 1000 sf of concrete something a diy
newbie can do?

I say yes, but I've not stained concrete on a large area.

I do HAVE wood stain I spilled on the garage floor! Its been several
years now and the color remains :-))

Posted to alt.home.repair

We used this stuff on a 1000 sf house floor, and were/are very pleased
with it:

http://www.kemiko.com/

-- Andy Barss