Posted to alt.home.repair

Default staining concrete

Hi everyone:

I'm looking into finishing my basement and am interested in staining
techniques. I have come across a few websites which seem to suggest
this is a fairly straightforward process (notably http://www.dcsurfaces.com/).
Has anyone in the group had first hand experience with this? If so,
can you describe and perhaps share any details you might find useful
to a non-professional? Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 1:00�pm, "SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

Hi everyone:

I'm looking into finishing my basement and am interested in staining
techniques. I have come across a few websites which seem to suggest
this is a fairly straightforward process (notably
http://www.dcsurfaces.com/).
Has anyone in the group had first hand experience with this? If so,
can you describe and perhaps share any details you might find useful
to a non-professional? Thanks!

I've seen crews of Mexicans doing it with old brooms, mops, and rags. �How
hard can it be?

Steve

should be done on new concrete, old worn or dirty will get splotchy
possibly ugly results

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter" wrote in message

Hi everyone:

I'm looking into finishing my basement and am interested in staining
techniques. I have come across a few websites which seem to suggest
this is a fairly straightforward process (notably
http://www.dcsurfaces.com/).
Has anyone in the group had first hand experience with this? If so,
can you describe and perhaps share any details you might find useful
to a non-professional? Thanks!

I've seen crews of Mexicans doing it with old brooms, mops, and rags. ?How
hard can it be?

Steve

should be done on new concrete, old worn or dirty will get splotchy
possibly ugly results

I stained some concrete outside my house. It required a good power washing
before starting because any dirt or moss will effect the stain penetration.
On a smaller slab I did etch with HCL (hydrochloric acid) from a pool store
but on a larger slab I just power washed. Both came out quite evenly and
both slabs are over 40 years old.

I just stained a solid color, none of that fancy faux painting techniques.
I just didn't want a concrete gray slab next to the house and lawn. I used
Red and Green but there were nice shades of brown and tan that were
appealing.. That product also had Black and White stains for accent and
contrast. About $35 a gallon if I recall correctly. The more you use, the
darker and richer the color. The stains are also generally sealers so you
get both in one.

What will cause splotcheyness is either different surface textures or
different porosity. If the floor had been sealed with a penetrating
waterproofer, it might be unadvisable to stain. Does water easily soak in
and darken the concrete or does it bead up.

Stain is just a colorant. If you also want the floor to be shiny and
smooth, then it may also require surface grinding or many layers of wax and
buffing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 May 2008 07:49:16 -0700 (PDT), Peter
wrote:

Hi everyone:

I'm looking into finishing my basement and am interested in staining
techniques. I have come across a few websites which seem to suggest
this is a fairly straightforward process (notably http://www.dcsurfaces.com/).
Has anyone in the group had first hand experience with this? If so,
can you describe and perhaps share any details you might find useful
to a non-professional? Thanks!

I have read about coloring concrete immediately after it is poured. I
would think anything but gray would look strange--do you ever plan to
sell this house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

I used a concrete stain from one of the
big box stores and was very displeased
with the results. I was essentially
paint, although the label did clearly
say stain.
There was really no soaking in and now,
after about 2 winters, most has pealed
off. My question, what is a good
concrete stain?

Staining aggregate concrete dereksibo Home Repair 0 July 1st 06 12:50 AM
Staining Charles Middleton UK diy 4 January 10th 06 01:23 AM
Gel-Staining HELP! bby Home Repair 5 October 27th 05 07:02 AM
acid staining concrete floor FH Home Repair 4 August 3rd 05 03:18 AM
Acid Staining Retaining Wall Concrete Blocks mieskola Home Repair 7 May 17th 05 01:58 PM