Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to knock off slab remainder?

The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right. Take a
look:

http://yfrog.com/58things1j
http://yfrog.com/58things2j

You can see a lip that extends beyond the face of the slab. I'm about
to cut off the rotten siding and replace it. But it's clear that one
reason it rotted is because water would hit this lip and bounce back
onto the siding.

What's the best way to remove this lip without damaging the face? You
can see in the 2nd image that it looks like the face has been knocked
away past where it should have been. I want to avoid doing that
myself.

I was thinking a cold chisel and a sledge, but I've never done
anything like this.

thx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 4:11�am, ben wrote:
The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right. �Take a
look:

�http://yfrog.com/58things1j
�http://yfrog.com/58things2j

You can see a lip that extends beyond the face of the slab. �I'm about
to cut off the rotten siding and replace it. �But it's clear that one
reason it rotted is because water would hit this lip and bounce back
onto the siding.

What's the best way to remove this lip without damaging the face? �You
can see in the 2nd image that it looks like the face has been knocked
away past where it should have been. �I want to avoid doing that
myself.

I was thinking a cold chisel and a sledge, but I've never done
anything like this.

thx

Add a treated wood lip at bottom just above slab and forget about it
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 4:11*am, ben wrote:
The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right. *Take a
look:

*http://yfrog.com/58things1j
*http://yfrog.com/58things2j

You can see a lip that extends beyond the face of the slab. *I'm about
to cut off the rotten siding and replace it. *But it's clear that one
reason it rotted is because water would hit this lip and bounce back
onto the siding.

What's the best way to remove this lip without damaging the face? *You
can see in the 2nd image that it looks like the face has been knocked
away past where it should have been. *I want to avoid doing that
myself.

I was thinking a cold chisel and a sledge, but I've never done
anything like this.

thx

Can't you just go over it with flashing,capping or something else?
Posted to alt.home.repair

ben wrote:
The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right. Take a
look:

http://yfrog.com/58things1j
http://yfrog.com/58things2j

You can see a lip that extends beyond the face of the slab. I'm about
to cut off the rotten siding and replace it. But it's clear that one
reason it rotted is because water would hit this lip and bounce back
onto the siding.

What's the best way to remove this lip without damaging the face? You
can see in the 2nd image that it looks like the face has been knocked
away past where it should have been. I want to avoid doing that
myself.

I was thinking a cold chisel and a sledge, but I've never done
anything like this.

You could score it first with a saw. Even a standard circular saw would do it
using a diamond masonry blade or multiple cheap masonry abrasive blades. It
won't be fast. Then use the sledge

How high up does the concrete go? A better bet would be to leave more space
between the ledge/ground and the siding. 6 inches would make a huge differemce.
You could also coat the bottoms of the boards with a penetrating epoxy like
"git-rot" to prevent moisture penetration, or at least a good preservative.

I suspect that cutting the bottoms with a bevel, so they drip from the outside
edge would help keep them from holding and wicking water also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

ben wrote:
The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right. Take a
look:

http://yfrog.com/58things1j
http://yfrog.com/58things2j

You can see a lip that extends beyond the face of the slab. I'm about
to cut off the rotten siding and replace it. But it's clear that one
reason it rotted is because water would hit this lip and bounce back
onto the siding.

What's the best way to remove this lip without damaging the face? You
can see in the 2nd image that it looks like the face has been knocked
away past where it should have been. I want to avoid doing that
myself.

I was thinking a cold chisel and a sledge, but I've never done
anything like this.

thx

A sledge is way too big and tiring to use to hit a chisel, you need about a
2 pound club hammer for the job. Even that will not do a good job as the
concrete looks old, hard and brittle, and could cause it to break in the
wrong area. If you are determined to remove it, rent a chain saw with a
masonry blade adapter. After you remove the siding you will have a little
more room to use it to cut back the concrete or at least make a cut deep
enough that you can snap off the excess cleanly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 4:11*am, ben wrote:
The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right. *Take a
look:

*http://yfrog.com/58things1j
*http://yfrog.com/58things2j

You can see a lip that extends beyond the face of the slab. *I'm about
to cut off the rotten siding and replace it. *But it's clear that one
reason it rotted is because water would hit this lip and bounce back
onto the siding.

What's the best way to remove this lip without damaging the face? *You
can see in the 2nd image that it looks like the face has been knocked
away past where it should have been. *I want to avoid doing that
myself.

I was thinking a cold chisel and a sledge, but I've never done
anything like this.

That's a lot of work for little benefit. Unless you find the concrete
aesthetically objectionable, just deal with the problem when you do
the residing.

First do your tearoff, verify that the sill plate is in good condition
- if not replace with treated wood, caulk/seal sill to concrete,
install aluminum kickout flashing on the studs, {option: install PVC
water table trim over the kick out flashing}*, install pressure
treated T-1-11.

* http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e..._table/pvc.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
ben wrote:

The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right.

In my book, the slab was poured too large. The siding should extend down
over the edge of the slab.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ben wrote:
The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right. Take a
look:

http://yfrog.com/58things1j
http://yfrog.com/58things2j

You can see a lip that extends beyond the face of the slab. I'm about
to cut off the rotten siding and replace it. But it's clear that one
reason it rotted is because water would hit this lip and bounce back
onto the siding.

What's the best way to remove this lip without damaging the face? You
can see in the 2nd image that it looks like the face has been knocked
away past where it should have been. I want to avoid doing that
myself.

I was thinking a cold chisel and a sledge, but I've never done
anything like this.

Replace the siding with Hardi-board siding. Caulk the gap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
ben wrote:

The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right.

In my book, the slab was poured too large. The siding should extend down
over the edge of the slab.

Uh, NO. They should have formed up and poured a foundation wall, or laid
one up out of block. Wood walls should never sit on a slab outdoors.
Hard to tell from the pics- they may be a short one there, but there
should be 6-8 inches of concrete showing above the dirt outside, and
above the slab inside. Lack of this is likely what destroyed the bottom
of the current siding, from the splashback, and seepage from inside
under the sill plate.

Short of jacking up the garage and adding a wall, or cutting in and
adding one in sections, the best work-around at this point is plastic or
metal flashing below the cut-off siding (whatever can me made to look
'good enough') and lots of paths for water to run out and not get
trapped under sill plate. That garage will always have dampness problems.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 3:11*am, ben wrote:
The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right. *Take a
look:

*http://yfrog.com/58things1j
*http://yfrog.com/58things2j

You can see a lip that extends beyond the face of the slab. *I'm about
to cut off the rotten siding and replace it. *But it's clear that one
reason it rotted is because water would hit this lip and bounce back
onto the siding.

What's the best way to remove this lip without damaging the face? *You
can see in the 2nd image that it looks like the face has been knocked
away past where it should have been. *I want to avoid doing that
myself.

I was thinking a cold chisel and a sledge, but I've never done
anything like this.

thx

Can you put on the new siding so that it overhangs the lip? Keep it
high enuf to avoid contact with standing water, etc, the ground does
not look to be sloped away from the slab very much. Builing up the
walls should be a much easier and faster way then trying to cut the
lip back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 01:11:27 -0700 (PDT), ben
wrote:

The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right. Take a
look:

http://yfrog.com/58things1j
http://yfrog.com/58things2j

You can see a lip that extends beyond the face of the slab. I'm about
to cut off the rotten siding and replace it. But it's clear that one
reason it rotted is because water would hit this lip and bounce back
onto the siding.

What's the best way to remove this lip without damaging the face? You
can see in the 2nd image that it looks like the face has been knocked
away past where it should have been. I want to avoid doing that
myself.

I was thinking a cold chisel and a sledge, but I've never done
anything like this.

thx

My first thought was yours--a cold chisel and mallot. A saw/blade
combination made specifically for concrete will work too, but this
will produce a messy cloud of dust. Just remove what is absolutely
necessary to improve drainage.

cracked concrete slab has patch in it-slab only 2-3 inches thick hands on Home Repair 19 September 7th 08 07:55 PM
Restripping oak door slab vs. buying a new slab Mikepier Home Repair 18 May 4th 08 07:07 PM
Knock, knock Robatoy Woodworking 31 May 1st 07 01:14 PM
knock down knock down ginger dave @ stejonda UK diy 35 February 17th 05 02:21 PM
Can I knock this down? Stephen Gower UK diy 5 November 19th 04 12:11 PM