Stephen Gower

Default Can I knock this down?

This time last year, we had a combi-boiler fitted, which made
redundant the hot water cylinder. The previous owner had
decommissioned the hot-air heating system some time before. What
was the hot-air cupboard sticks out into the main bedroom, and the
cylinder cupboard is too deep and sticks out into the hall. I'd
like to knock down part of each of those cupboards to make them a
bit more like alcoves in the rooms.

The walls throughout the flat are concrete blocks, 10cm thick. The
section I want to remove from the bedroom is 35cm long - the rest
of the cupboard was formed from asbestos-backed plywood and has
already been removed. The section to remove from the hallway is
more complicated - it's a wall about 60cm long, and a doorway which
completes the cupboard (the section above the door is also block).

We're on the ground floor, there's only one other flat above us and
that has the same floorplan as us currently. Our ceiling/their
floor is concrete.

I'm assuming these small sections of wall are not load bearing, but
is this right? All the DIY guides I have seen talk about floor
joists above, but of course there aren't any! How do I check in
this situation? I've knocked out a sample hole about the size of a
housebrick, which shows the metalwork in the reinforced concrete
above, but what might I be looking for? Some photos of the
cupboard and hole are online at
http://www.wolfson.ox.ac.uk/~sjg/wall/

Finally, to do a neat job, I think I need to cut a vertical line
through the blocks before I knock them out of the wall. Does this
make sense, should I be hiring something to do this (if so, what)
or should I just drill lots with my SDS drill?

Many thanks as ever to all who contribute to this excellent group,
and sorry I'm so longwinded in my questions!
--
Selah
Paul King

Stephen Gower wrote:

snip details
You don't really need to ask do you? You need to do your homework and
decide upon the results of that. How on earth you can expect to get
qualified results from an NG without someone advocating "go on then - knock
it down" beggars belief! If you are unsure as to how to proceed, either
entrust a qualified structural engineer (and pay) or "just knock it down" -
and run (perhaps). Personally, I'd look *VERY* carefully at where the
relevant weight distributions were (both upstairs and down). The ceiling is
probably sufficiently loadbearing (providing that this is not the only
loadbearing support), but in the end - its your call.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stephen Gower wrote:
I'm assuming these small sections of wall are not load bearing, but
is this right?

Sounds like it was built like this, so I'd assume nothing. Get pro advice
- a structural engineer.

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Stephen Gower

Paul King wrote:
Personally, I'd look *VERY* carefully at where the
relevant weight distributions were (both upstairs and down). The ceiling is
probably sufficiently loadbearing (providing that this is not the only
loadbearing support),

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it on board.

but in the end - its your call.

I quite agree, but it doesn't hurt to take advice from as many
people as possible, and weigh it all up based on who they are and
under what circumstances they've given the advice. I perhaps
should have said, but assumed it was obvious, that this isn't the
only place I'm asking, but it might help backup the advice I get
from other sources.
--
Selah
Stephen Gower

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Sounds like it was built like this, so I'd assume nothing. Get pro advice
- a structural engineer.

Thanks for that - it looks like the same advice (in one way or the
other) from all directions. Having never done this before, and to
make sure I don't get ripped off, what sort of ball-park figure
should I expect to pay for this advice?
--
Selah

Al Reynolds

"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Sounds like it was built like this, so I'd assume nothing. Get pro advice
- a structural engineer.

Thanks for that - it looks like the same advice (in one way or the
other) from all directions. Having never done this before, and to
make sure I don't get ripped off, what sort of ball-park figure
should I expect to pay for this advice?

Depends on whether you want it written down or not.

I had a beam that I wanted to remove that I was fairly sure
wasn't loadbearing, but I wanted a professional opinion. I
had been given a recommendation for a structural engineer,
so I gave them a ring and asked them how much to come
and give a decision on whether the beam could be removed.
He said he could either answer my question verbally with no
paperwork for £30 or he could do a full written report
backed by insurance etc. for £150. I went for the verbal
report, because all I really wanted was a second opinion
from a professional.

In my case there were no building regs implications because
the beam was essentially "decorative" - you might find in
your case that the wall can be taken down, but with certain
structural implications, in which case building regs may come
into play. In this case I would go for the written report as
you would probably need it later.

HTH,
Al