Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default how to knock off slab remainder?

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
ben wrote:

The slab for my garage looks like it wasn't finished right.

In my book, the slab was poured too large. The siding should extend down
over the edge of the slab.

Uh, NO. They should have formed up and poured a foundation wall, or laid
one up out of block. Wood walls should never sit on a slab outdoors.
Hard to tell from the pics- they may be a short one there, but there
should be 6-8 inches of concrete showing above the dirt outside, and
above the slab inside. Lack of this is likely what destroyed the bottom
of the current siding, from the splashback, and seepage from inside
under the sill plate.

Short of jacking up the garage and adding a wall, or cutting in and
adding one in sections, the best work-around at this point is plastic or
metal flashing below the cut-off siding (whatever can me made to look
'good enough') and lots of paths for water to run out and not get
trapped under sill plate. That garage will always have dampness problems.

--
aem sends...