Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI wiring problem

I have a partially-dead GFI circuit:

This circuit powers two electrical outlet in the back bedrom and a light
in a bathroom, as well as a wall outlet in that bathroom which has a GFI
receptacle. I needed to move that receptacle, so I uncouple the wiring,
ran it to the new location, then re-connected the receptacle. In the
process two of the wires shorted together briefly, but did not trip the
breaker.
Now all looks good, the GFI LED is lit. The bathroom light switch works.
But the wall sockets in that bedroom no longer have power.

Is there some peculiarity about GFI that would explain that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RB" wrote in message
I have a partially-dead GFI circuit:

This circuit powers two electrical outlet in the back bedrom and a light
in a bathroom, as well as a wall outlet in that bathroom which has a GFI
receptacle. I needed to move that receptacle, so I uncouple the wiring,
ran it to the new location, then re-connected the receptacle. In the
process two of the wires shorted together briefly, but did not trip the
breaker.
Now all looks good, the GFI LED is lit. The bathroom light switch works.
But the wall sockets in that bedroom no longer have power.

Is there some peculiarity about GFI that would explain that?

Not unless there are more than two 2 wire cables involved. Is it possible
that a wire fell out of the screw clamp?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 3:07*pm, RB wrote:
I have a partially-dead GFI circuit:

This circuit powers two electrical outlet in the back bedrom and a light
in a bathroom, as well as a wall outlet in that bathroom which has a GFI
receptacle. I needed to move that receptacle, so I uncouple the wiring,
ran it *to the new location, then re-connected the receptacle. In the
process two of the wires shorted together briefly, but did not trip the
breaker.
* *Now all looks good, the GFI LED is lit. The bathroom light switch works.
But the *wall sockets in that bedroom no longer have power.

Is there some peculiarity about GFI that would explain that?

In the process two of the wires shorted together briefly

Help us understand this situation:

You have an existing circuit with wires that were running through a
wall. You disconnected the wires from the GFCI, pulled them out of the
wall, fished them to the new location and reconnected them to the
GFCI...while they were live?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

No, I left out some things for brevity.

1 - turned CB off
2 - disconnected cable from receptacle
3 - cut the ends of the wires, staggered cuts, insulated.
4 - wrapped with duct tape
5 - fed into new wall space.
6 - turned CB on
7 - dinner break
8 - Drilled hole in new wall.
9 - fished wire out with coathanger
10- grabbed wire with pliers to pull the slack
11 - SPARK! Concerned spouse appears to accept confession.
12 - turned off CB.
13 - Stripped and connected wires. White wite to terminal marked "WHITE"
on receptacle, black to "HOT", ground to ground screw.
14 - Pushed the wired receptacle back into the box and screwed it down.
Ditto faceplate. (currnetly not wall-mounted, construction in progress)
15 - turned CB back on. LED glows, lights work, all is good.
16 - Back to bedroom/office, PCs won't power back up. The two common
non-GFI outlets on the same circuit are dead. One is switched, the other
not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"RB" wrote in message
I have a partially-dead GFI circuit:

This circuit powers two electrical outlet in the back bedrom and a light
in a bathroom, as well as a wall outlet in that bathroom which has a GFI
receptacle. I needed to move that receptacle, so I uncouple the wiring,
ran it to the new location, then re-connected the receptacle. In the
process two of the wires shorted together briefly, but did not trip the
breaker.
Now all looks good, the GFI LED is lit. The bathroom light switch works.
But the wall sockets in that bedroom no longer have power.

Is there some peculiarity about GFI that would explain that?

Not unless there are more than two 2 wire cables involved. Is it possible
that a wire fell out of the screw clamp?

Anything is possible, but I think it was secure when I packed it into
the box.
and now that i think of it, I did not verify power to the plug, just
that the LED was lit
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RB" wrote in message
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

Your description is only of one cable. Unless you have other cables involved
that weren't reconnected, this outlet relocation has nothing to do with the
other outlets not working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 4:42*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"RB" wrote in message

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

As RBM hinted at, unless the wires to the outlets in the bedroom were
attached to either the Load side of the GFCI receptacle (thus
protected by the GFCI) or to the same Line screws as the input of the
GFCI (therefore not protected) then just moving the GFCI should not
have impacted the bedroom outlets in any way.

Either there is something else that you left out (for brevity) or
something else was disturbed that you didn't notice or this is just a
weird coincidence and unrelated to the relocation of the GFCI.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

Now you have live, uncapped wires inside the wall. Not very smart.

7 - dinner break
8 - Drilled hole in new wall.

With a live wire behind it. Not very smart.

9 - fished wire out with coathanger

Fished *live* wire out with coathanger. Not very smart.

10- grabbed wire with pliers to pull the slack

Grabbed *live* wire with pliers. Not very smart.

Perhaps you should leave future electrical work to someone with the sense to
do it safely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 2:32*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

IMO the problem is not GFI related but dead short / tripped the
breaker related.

It depends on how the existing installation is wired up......

A dead short will send a whole lot of current through your circuit.
If you have any questionable (high resistance) connections along this
run they will have been zapped pretty hard.

My ex-boss, now retired, did something similar but not quite as
unsafe.....he wound up re-setting the breaker having mistakenly wired
in a dead short.
When we tried to re-set the breaker, it blew instantly.
He re-set it again & it held but everything downstream of his mistake
as dead.

I went over to his house on Sat afternoon & tried to diagnose the
problem.......we even eventually found the problem. A back stab
receptacle that was installed YEARS ago ..one of the hot wires was
loose, corroded & burned. Did a pigtail installation & replaced
receptacle with a back wire one.

everything fixed

in your case, my guess is a bad connection (wire nut, back stab, ??)

do oyu get any volatge reading? in my ex-bosses case we were getting
~2V......I'm guessing that the bad connection had such high resistance
nearly all of the 120v was dropped across it

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI wiring problem (and resetting breaker)

One of my customers. Went to use the central AC. The furnace
didn't blow cold air. The breaker to the furnace was
tripped. She reset it. Many, many times, until the breaker
stayed on.

Original problem: Motor windings shorted, in the blower
motor. Secondary problem: Repeated power surges vaporized
the contacts of a relay on the circuit board.

Result: Many phone calls to find the right brand and type of
motor and board. Far more expensive repair.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"fftt" wrote in message

My ex-boss, now retired, did something similar but not quite
as
unsafe.....he wound up re-setting the breaker having
mistakenly wired
in a dead short.
When we tried to re-set the breaker, it blew instantly.
He re-set it again & it held but everything downstream of
his mistake
as dead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

That makes sense. I need to pull the outlets and the switch and take a
look at the connections.

I did check the GFI with my plug-in polarity tester, and it showed two
green lights as it's supposed to, so I did wire it back correctly.

thanks for the input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 4:42 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"RB" wrote in message

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

That's the complete list. I'm pretty much at the Weird Coincidence theory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

If you only have one cable (black , white, ground) connected to the GFCI
outlet, and it is wired and works properly, there is no connection problem
from that point back. The things that are not working must have a
connection problem at some other junction, not directly associated with this
GFCI. I would check the connections in the bathroom switch box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
RB wrote:

That's the complete list. I'm pretty much at the Weird Coincidence theory.

I'm not there yet. You did some wiring. You shorted the hot and the
neutral. Now you have problems. I'm guessing they're related, and that
you just haven't found the relation, yet.

A few years ago, a private pilot and his wife are out for a little plane
ride. She is not a pilot and knows nothing about her environment. She
gets a little cold, and reaches out to close the fresh air vent. The
plane immediately loses power, and the pilot executes an off-field
landing. The plane is damaged but the couple is unhurt. The fresh air
vent control turns out to be the throttle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 10:47*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*RB wrote:
That's the complete list. *I'm pretty much at the Weird Coincidence theory.

I'm not there yet. You did some wiring. You shorted the hot and the
neutral. Now you have problems. I'm guessing they're related, and that
you just haven't found the relation, yet.

A few years ago, a private pilot and his wife are out for a little plane
ride. She is not a pilot and knows nothing about her environment. She
gets a little cold, and reaches out to close the fresh air vent. The
plane immediately loses power, and the pilot executes an off-field
landing. The plane is damaged but the couple is unhurt. The fresh air
vent control turns out to be the throttle.

Are they still married?
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

Is there a florescent lamp in the GFCI circuit? How long is the GFCI run?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickMerrill wrote:
RBM wrote:
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

There is no flourescent lamp in the fun.
There may be a CF bulb in one of the fixtures, but it is not affected -
lights work.

The circuit in question has the following on it:

An unswitched outlet that powers computer gear and desk accessories
A switched outlet that powers two PCs and peripherals.
(both these outlets are dead)

Two recessed can lights, switched, in the adjacent bathroom
The GFCI outlet.
(The above two work fine)

I am not smart enough to visualize how all these interconnect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 12:50*pm, RB wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:
RBM wrote:
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

Let us know the fix when you get it all worked out.
cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

*RB wrote:
That's the complete list. *I'm pretty much at the Weird Coincidence
theory.

I'm not there yet. You did some wiring. You shorted the hot and the
neutral. Now you have problems. I'm guessing they're related, and that
you just haven't found the relation, yet.

A few years ago, a private pilot and his wife are out for a little plane
ride. She is not a pilot and knows nothing about her environment. She
gets a little cold, and reaches out to close the fresh air vent. The
plane immediately loses power, and the pilot executes an off-field
landing. The plane is damaged but the couple is unhurt. The fresh air
vent control turns out to be the throttle.

Are they still married?

Nah. He's now a widower. She fell out of the plane, mysteriously, on the
first ride after they got the plane repaired ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

fftt wrote:
On Jun 11, 12:50 pm, RB wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:
RBM wrote:
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

I'd love to do that.
But last night the circuits all started working normally again.
Looks like an intermittent connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 9:11*am, RB wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Jun 11, 12:50 pm, RB wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:
RBM wrote:
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

Looks like an intermittent connection.- Hide quoted text -

Now it is even more important to trace the wires and find the problem.

Loose connections can mean arcing, heat and other problems that can
lead to fires.

If this were my house I'd shut that circuit down *immediately* and
begin troubleshooting. If you are unsure of how to go about that, call
an electrician. This is not a situation that should be left as is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 12, 9:11 am, RB wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Jun 11, 12:50 pm, RB wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:
RBM wrote:
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

I agree, but immediately isn't going to happen until this weekend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RB" wrote in message
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 12, 9:11 am, RB wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Jun 11, 12:50 pm, RB wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:
RBM wrote:
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]
??)
[...]

This is possibly a good opportunity to find where the intermittent "open
circuit" is. With things plugged into the formerly dead outlets, and turned
on, bang with your hand on every outlet and switch in the vicinity of those
that had been dead. There is a very good possibility that when you bang on
the switch or outlet box where the connection is loose, it will cause the
things that are plugged in, to flicker, then you just need to open that box
and tighten all the connections

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"RB" wrote in message
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 12, 9:11 am, RB wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Jun 11, 12:50 pm, RB wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:
RBM wrote:
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

A very good suggestion, thank you.
I'll probably not do that with the PCs plugged in though

Posted to alt.home.repair

RB wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:
RBM wrote:
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

Not to worry. Have you checked the polarity? If polarity is correct you
just have a bad GFI.

Replace it with a GFCI or an arc-fault detection unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RickMerrill wrote:
RB wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:
RBM wrote:
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
[...]

Well that's interesting. Did not occur to me.
Polarity at the GFCI was correct, but I never checked the other two
outlets after they started working.
I think I'll just replace that GFCI before I mount it permanently