Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default GFI wiring problem

In article , wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:07 pm, RB wrote:
I have a partially-dead GFI circuit:

This circuit powers two electrical outlet in the back bedrom and a light
in a bathroom, as well as a wall outlet in that bathroom which has a GFI
receptacle. I needed to move that receptacle, so I uncouple the wiring,
ran it to the new location, then re-connected the receptacle. In the
process two of the wires shorted together briefly, but did not trip the
breaker.
Now all looks good, the GFI LED is lit. The bathroom light switch works.
But the wall sockets in that bedroom no longer have power.

Is there some peculiarity about GFI that would explain that?

In the process two of the wires shorted together briefly

Help us understand this situation:

You have an existing circuit with wires that were running through a
wall. You disconnected the wires from the GFCI, pulled them out of the
wall, fished them to the new location and reconnected them to the
GFCI...while they were live?

No, I left out some things for brevity.

1 - turned CB off
2 - disconnected cable from receptacle
3 - cut the ends of the wires, staggered cuts, insulated.
4 - wrapped with duct tape
5 - fed into new wall space.
6 - turned CB on

Now you have live, uncapped wires inside the wall. Not very smart.

7 - dinner break
8 - Drilled hole in new wall.

With a live wire behind it. Not very smart.

9 - fished wire out with coathanger

Fished *live* wire out with coathanger. Not very smart.

10- grabbed wire with pliers to pull the slack

Grabbed *live* wire with pliers. Not very smart.

Perhaps you should leave future electrical work to someone with the sense to
do it safely.