Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

Default a bit of a wiring problem

Got some mysteries I need cleared up on a surface old pump. The pump is
controlled with Intermatic 220v timer:

1. I have a cable with unknown wiring. It has two red, two blacks, and 1
green. I THOUGHT it was 220v going to my well pump. I THOUGHT the well
pump was operating on 220v. Now not sure.

When measured, I get 110 between one red and one black, and 110 between the
next red and the next black. So far, I don't have any combo making 220vac.
Nor to ground.

2. What I THOUGHT I had was one red/black 220v combo, and the other
red/black going to the motor inside the one cable.

Do I have one red/black combo for the motor?

Is my operating voltage 110 or 220?

My switch terminal a

Black wires: load 1 and load 2
My red wires a line 1 and line 2

Can I just hook black wires to black connectors, and red to red connectors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message ...
[...]

Not much can be determined from your description. The L1 and L2 terminals on
the time clock could be the feed,if it's a 240 volt clock.If the clock motor
runs on 120 volts, it will have a neutral terminal. You should be able to
read the clock motor voltage somewhere on the unit. That should give you an
idea of what voltage you should be looking for

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message ...
[...]

Rule # 1: If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it!

Now then, very carefully test the voltage between the two red wires and tell
us the result.
For the purpose of this test do not involve the black wires.
Be sure to exercise extreme caution or else you will just be making work the
the local newspaper's obituary writer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RBM wrote:
"rb" wrote in message ...
[...]

Agree, this isn't enough to tell much.

If there isn't 240V on any combination then it's fairly apparent the
circuit you've got isn't.

But you've given measurements across Load/Line according to what you've
given, not across the line which one would assume are the two feeds if
it is actually 240V.

Need more info -- where does the feed originate? One would presume
_somewhere_ there's a breaker/panel that would clarify what's going on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

OK. More info:

1. Clock motor is 240v.

2. On the cable coming up to the switch:

Red-red = 0 volts
Black -black = 241 (my bad. Somehow I missed that measurement.

So my basic setup is 241v.

Now, how do I connect the cables?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message ...
OK. More info:

1. Clock motor is 240v.

2. On the cable coming up to the switch:

Red-red = 0 volts
Black -black = 241 (my bad. Somehow I missed that measurement.

So my basic setup is 241v.

Now, how do I connect the cables?

What are you trying to connect them to? You have a 240 volt pump, a time
clock with 240 volt clock motor, and some type of switch. You're description
of the pump is "a surface old pump", and what kind of switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
rb wrote:
OK. More info:

1. Clock motor is 240v.

2. On the cable coming up to the switch:

Red-red = 0 volts
Black -black = 241 (my bad. Somehow I missed that measurement.

So my basic setup is 241v.

Now, how do I connect the cables?

Something is miswired. You should have 240 between a red and a black.
Two reds and 2 blacks is not any cable I have ever seen get rid of it
and get proper cable. You should have red, black, white and green even
if you don't need white/neutral. Improper cabling is dangerous. the next
person will have the same problem. Fix it.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

He has a greenfield cable. (flexible metallic conduit)

wiring problem Neil UK diy 4 March 20th 07 12:42 PM
Wiring Problem Alan Home Repair 3 December 2nd 06 11:17 PM
Help me with a wiring problem please! [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 17th 05 11:55 PM
Wiring problem forester UK diy 11 February 3rd 05 12:41 PM
wiring problem wioth loop in wiring and two way switching chrisc UK diy 2 December 28th 04 08:11 PM