Posted to alt.home.repair

Default advice needed regarding type of basement/crawlspace to have done withmy cottage renovation

Hi all,
I am looking for some advice on the type of crawl space I should have
when I renovate my cottage. I am demolishing about 1200 sq. ft (the
living room and kitchen area of the cottage) Currently the building
sits on blocks.. For this renovation I am only allowed to build on the
existing footprint. So I cannot put in a basement - they consider that
additional living space. However, I can have a crawlspace. Max. height
from the floor is 5'9". So if including the joists, the walkable space
under the cottage would onlly be 4'8" approx. I will be having a
proper foundation put in this time, no more cinder blocks. I am
wondering what do do about the crawlspace area. Insulate the walls?
concrete slab? I can't imagine that keeping it as a dirt floor makes
sense....

Also, what if I only had crawlspace under a portion of the cottage to
hold plumbing, furnace etc. and the rest no crawlspace at all? Would
it just be a concrete slab then?? Then I thought I would put in the
radiant floor heating into the concrete.

I live in Ontario, Canada. The soil where the construction is taking
place is very very sandy.
Any advice or ideas would be welcome.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 9:56*am, caledongrl wrote:
[...]

Around here south of you in the U.S. where I am. Digging out a
crawlspace to be a basement is done everyday without issues you
mention. I turned my crawl into a basement, legaly without question.
Who states you cant do it, footprint to me does not mean digging down,
its sq. ft. area of structure, not cu.ft.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 11:33*am, ransley wrote:
[...]

the township sets the requirements. they are also very concerned about
disturbing the trees during renovation. I am located in the middle of
30 acres, completely treed. It is a bit "big brotherish" in my
opinion. Also, there are two houses on one property, something that
they frown upon, and will only allow you to renovate based on existing
footprint because of that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

caledongrl wrote:
[...]

Have another talk with the code office. Here in the states, at least,
basement is only considered living space if is finished off. Bare
concrete basements are storage or utility space. Not even counted as a
basement unless it is walkable height.

'Footprint' is the dimensions of outside walls, number of floor is
irrelevant.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 11:19*am, caledongrl wrote:
[...]

footprint because of that.- Hide quoted text -

Digging down wont affect trees, footprint here has nothing to do with
depth, I will bet you are misunderstanding the codes

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*As an electrician I spend some time in crawl spaces. I would definitely
put a concrete floor in there. If you plan to use it for storage have
insulation installed below the concrete as well as a moisture barrier. You
could also have hot water radiant heat installed there. If you can, use the
Styrofoam insulated concrete forms for your crawl space walls. Insulate the
floor above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 2:58�pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

floor above.- Hide quoted text -

Or dig it much deeper, then leave dirt floor, with complete walls and
footers to 6 foot plus

Then one day finish digging and pour floor.

Around here you can request a variance, for all sorts of rules.

Do they offer that in canada?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 2:45*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

It is not my interpretation of the code. It is the townships
interpretation. I just finished emailing a counciler of the township
asking where I can find the information I need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 4:17*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

My builder suggested doing that. Just put in as if putting in a full
basement, then next year dig it out. The township would never know....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

I live in Ontario, Canada. The soil where the construction is taking
place is very very sandy.
Any advice or ideas would be welcome.
Thanks

*As an electrician I spend some time in crawl spaces. I would definitely
put a concrete floor in there. If you plan to use it for storage have
insulation installed below the concrete as well as a moisture barrier.
You could also have hot water radiant heat installed there. If you can,
use the Styrofoam insulated concrete forms for your crawl space walls.
Insulate the floor above.

In Ontario, the best ICF. is www.integraspec.com Their HQ is in Kingston.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Every jurisdiction has it's own interpretation of what is 'living space' and
what you are allowed to do within their code. Call a reputable arborist -
perhaps someone associated with the county extension service or a local
university and have them give you some guidance on how to protect the trees.

My neighbor and I have each added on to our houses under the canopy of a 250
year old oak. We had an arborist advise us on how to put in a foundation
(northern climate where we needed to dig down 50 inches) and we're now 4
years post-construction and the tree is as full this spring as I've seen it
in 35 years!

I would go as deep as they will let you particularly if as you mention you
need to put mechanicals in the area. No sense making it any harder than you
need to! I'd consider a concrete floor as well, at least in the part you
need to use for the equipment and any storage. No sense trying to work on a
gravel floor and put in some sort of footing to support the furnace.

Finally, give yourself good access to the area. Maybe a trap-door the size
of a closet floor if you don't have a way to give yourself a bulkhead door
to the area. My crawlspace only has an old basement window from the
original basement - a pain in the A%( to get thru when I want to get in
there, and I don't have to worry about any mechanicals to access.

"caledongrl" wrote in message
On Jun 7, 2:45 pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

You may want to clarify that. Every interpretation of "footprint" that I've
ever dealt with was length and width and had no bearing on depth or height
(although height may still have some restrictions). Why would that care how
deep you went? Basements are usually not considered living space either for
real estate purposes, however, you local laws may differ.

I have read that a city near me (Manhattan Beach CA) has
restrictions on the size of houses and the size of basements. They
claim it is to reduce visible bulk. I think the real reason is
house envy. The people writing the laws do not want other people to
have bigger houses than they have.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

You may want to clarify that. Every interpretation of "footprint" that I've
ever dealt with was length and width and had no bearing on depth or height
(although height may still have some restrictions). Why would that care how
deep you went? Basements are usually not considered living space either for
real estate purposes, however, you local laws may differ.

I have read that a city near me (Manhattan Beach CA) has
restrictions on the size of houses and the size of basements. They
claim it is to reduce visible bulk. I think the real reason is
house envy. The people writing the laws do not want other people to
have bigger houses than they have.
--

Another example of the creeping socialism that has
taken over California government. The West used to

TDD

Heating Cottage Crawlspace - Pipes Freezing [email protected] Home Repair 17 November 1st 17 03:44 AM
Old Granite cottage renovation Robin Soper UK diy 16 March 4th 04 10:38 PM
Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest of basement Steven Home Repair 14 September 24th 03 06:09 PM
Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest of basement Doug Swetland Home Ownership 1 September 24th 03 06:09 PM
Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest of basement james w lazenby Home Ownership 1 September 23rd 03 04:04 PM