Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_8_] Mark[_8_] is offline

Default advice needed regarding type of basement/crawlspace to have done with my cottage renovation

Every jurisdiction has it's own interpretation of what is 'living space' and
what you are allowed to do within their code. Call a reputable arborist -
perhaps someone associated with the county extension service or a local
university and have them give you some guidance on how to protect the trees.

My neighbor and I have each added on to our houses under the canopy of a 250
year old oak. We had an arborist advise us on how to put in a foundation
(northern climate where we needed to dig down 50 inches) and we're now 4
years post-construction and the tree is as full this spring as I've seen it
in 35 years!

I would go as deep as they will let you particularly if as you mention you
need to put mechanicals in the area. No sense making it any harder than you
need to! I'd consider a concrete floor as well, at least in the part you
need to use for the equipment and any storage. No sense trying to work on a
gravel floor and put in some sort of footing to support the furnace.

Finally, give yourself good access to the area. Maybe a trap-door the size
of a closet floor if you don't have a way to give yourself a bulkhead door
to the area. My crawlspace only has an old basement window from the
original basement - a pain in the A%( to get thru when I want to get in
there, and I don't have to worry about any mechanicals to access.

"caledongrl" wrote in message
On Jun 7, 2:45 pm, ransley wrote:
On Jun 7, 11:19 am, caledongrl wrote:

On Jun 7, 11:33 am, ransley wrote:

On Jun 7, 9:56 am, caledongrl wrote:

Hi all,
I am looking for some advice on the type of crawl space I should
have
when I renovate my cottage. I am demolishing about 1200 sq. ft (the
living room and kitchen area of the cottage) Currently the building
sits on blocks.. For this renovation I am only allowed to build on
the
existing footprint. So I cannot put in a basement - they consider
that
additional living space. However, I can have a crawlspace. Max.
height
from the floor is 5'9". So if including the joists, the walkable
space
under the cottage would onlly be 4'8" approx. I will be having a
proper foundation put in this time, no more cinder blocks. I am
wondering what do do about the crawlspace area. Insulate the walls?
concrete slab? I can't imagine that keeping it as a dirt floor makes
sense....

Also, what if I only had crawlspace under a portion of the cottage
hold plumbing, furnace etc. and the rest no crawlspace at all? Would
it just be a concrete slab then?? Then I thought I would put in the
radiant floor heating into the concrete.

I live in Ontario, Canada. The soil where the construction is taking
place is very very sandy.
Any advice or ideas would be welcome.
Thanks

Around here south of you in the U.S. where I am. Digging out a
crawlspace to be a basement is done everyday without issues you
mention. I turned my crawl into a basement, legaly without question.
Who states you cant do it, footprint to me does not mean digging down,
its sq. ft. area of structure, not cu.ft.

the township sets the requirements. they are also very concerned about
disturbing the trees during renovation. I am located in the middle of
30 acres, completely treed. It is a bit "big brotherish" in my
opinion. Also, there are two houses on one property, something that
they frown upon, and will only allow you to renovate based on existing
footprint because of that.- Hide quoted text -

Digging down wont affect trees, footprint here has nothing to do with
depth, I will bet you are misunderstanding the codes

It is not my interpretation of the code. It is the townships
interpretation. I just finished emailing a counciler of the township
asking where I can find the information I need.