Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool pump noise

The Jacuzzi pool pump (1 h.p. about 5 years old) makes a
different noise this season:
1. Runs faster (22 to 24 p.s.i. indicated, formerly 15 p.s.i.; but
the pressure gauge is faulty, e.g. shows 8 p.s.i. when no pressure.)
I first thought this was due to new pipe connectors in an improved layout.
2. High-pitched metallic whine which is new. The pump made a
perceptible noise in earlier seasons, that I cannot now remember
exactly, but something like the house's (shallow) well-water pump
It now sounds like a cheap clockwork toy overspeeding.

Does this suggest any likely cause or remedy? Rotor bearings?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
The Jacuzzi pool pump (1 h.p. about 5 years old) makes a
different noise this season:
1. Runs faster (22 to 24 p.s.i. indicated, formerly 15 p.s.i.; but
the pressure gauge is faulty, e.g. shows 8 p.s.i. when no pressure.)
I first thought this was due to new pipe connectors in an improved
layout.
2. High-pitched metallic whine which is new. The pump made a
perceptible noise in earlier seasons, that I cannot now remember
exactly, but something like the house's (shallow) well-water pump
It now sounds like a cheap clockwork toy overspeeding.

Does this suggest any likely cause or remedy? Rotor bearings?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

There's pretty much only one thing that moves. Unless something is jammed in
the impeller and scraping against the housing, it would be bearings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 10:20:05 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

The Jacuzzi pool pump (1 h.p. about 5 years old) makes a
different noise this season:
1. Runs faster (22 to 24 p.s.i. indicated, formerly 15 p.s.i.; but
the pressure gauge is faulty, e.g. shows 8 p.s.i. when no pressure.)
I first thought this was due to new pipe connectors in an improved layout.

The noise may be aeration or cavitation. Check the inlet plumping.
Did the new inlet become more restrictive than the former? Use
Vaseline on O-rings and make sure every pipe joint is sealed
perfectly.

2. High-pitched metallic whine which is new. The pump made a
perceptible noise in earlier seasons, that I cannot now remember
exactly, but something like the house's (shallow) well-water pump
It now sounds like a cheap clockwork toy overspeeding.

Does this suggest any likely cause or remedy? Rotor bearings?

Does it still pump volume? Is it leaking around the shaft seal?

The motor coupling may be bad or loose. The mount may be loose.
The bearing could be bad but doubtful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The Jacuzzi pool pump (1 h.p. about 5 years old) makes a
different noise this season:
1. Runs faster (22 to 24 p.s.i. indicated, formerly 15 p.s.i.; but
the pressure gauge is faulty, e.g. shows 8 p.s.i. when no pressure.)
I first thought this was due to new pipe connectors in an improved layout.
2. High-pitched metallic whine which is new. The pump made a
perceptible noise in earlier seasons, that I cannot now remember
exactly, but something like the house's (shallow) well-water pump
It now sounds like a cheap clockwork toy overspeeding.

Does this suggest any likely cause or remedy? Rotor bearings?

Does it sound like this motor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1mWy939AAc

Sump pump noise question AE Todd Home Repair 6 April 13th 09 11:10 PM
pool pump [email protected] Home Repair 144 December 10th 05 02:01 AM
shower pump noise frank spencer UK diy 3 June 10th 05 12:58 PM
Kitchenaid Dishwasher pump noise Matthew Home Repair 1 January 19th 04 11:50 AM