Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pump noise question

I may be purchasing a Wayne 3/4 hp sump pump from Amazon.com. I am
replacing a 1/2 hp unit. Does anyone have any opinions about Wayne or
how much noise a 3/4 hp unit might make? Does the extra quarter hp
make much of a difference in noise and output?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 7, 8:18*am, AE Todd wrote:
I may be purchasing a Wayne 3/4 hp sump pump from Amazon.com. *I am
replacing a 1/2 hp unit. *Does anyone have any opinions about Wayne or
how much noise a 3/4 hp unit might make? *Does the extra quarter hp
make much of a difference in noise and output?

Most sump pumps run intermittantly, so the larger one may be
subjectively louder, but will shut off sooner. Your call. Wayne and
most of the other residential sump pumps these days seem to be pretty
decent quality. Buy whatever fits your layout best.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 8:18*am, AE Todd wrote:
I may be purchasing a Wayne 3/4 hp sump pump from Amazon.com. *I am
replacing a 1/2 hp unit. *Does anyone have any opinions about Wayne or
how much noise a 3/4 hp unit might make? *Does the extra quarter hp
make much of a difference in noise and output?

Unless your current sump pump has had problems keeping up, it isn't a
real smart idea to go bigger. A larger horsepower pump will cycle on
and off more often causing it to wear out sooner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 7, 8:18 am, AE Todd wrote:
I may be purchasing a Wayne 3/4 hp sump pump from Amazon.com. I am
replacing a 1/2 hp unit. Does anyone have any opinions about Wayne or
how much noise a 3/4 hp unit might make? Does the extra quarter hp
make much of a difference in noise and output?

Unless your current sump pump has had problems keeping up, it isn't a
real smart idea to go bigger. A larger horsepower pump will cycle on
and off more often causing it to wear out sooner.

Not quite following the reasoning why a bigger one will cycle more often...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 6:53*am, "Marshall Tucker" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 7, 8:18 am, AE Todd wrote:

I may be purchasing a Wayne 3/4 hp sump pump from Amazon.com. I am
replacing a 1/2 hp unit. Does anyone have any opinions about Wayne or
how much noise a 3/4 hp unit might make? Does the extra quarter hp
make much of a difference in noise and output?

Unless your current sump pump has had problems keeping up, it isn't a
real smart idea to go bigger. *A larger horsepower pump will cycle on
and off more often causing it to wear out sooner.

Not quite following the reasoning why a bigger one will cycle more often....

It won't. It should cycle just as often but for shorter runs.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 06:18:28 -0700 (PDT), AE Todd
wrote:

I may be purchasing a Wayne 3/4 hp sump pump from Amazon.com. I am
replacing a 1/2 hp unit. Does anyone have any opinions about Wayne
or how much noise a 3/4 hp unit might make? Does the extra quarter
hp make much of a difference in noise and output?

Why dont you get it sized properly according to pipe sizing, gals in
the pool and how much turnover you need in a day?
Bigger isnt always better. You might have more noise, higher electric
bills and a pool that doesnt get crystal clear. Do it right. Its not
that hard.
http://www.poolplaza.com/pool-pump-sizing-2.shtml

Do you usually use sump pump to get crystal clear pool water?

Do you have a good reason to think the O.P. is trying to do that?