Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump Pump question

Sorry about that, I did not make myself clear, I meant the discharge
side not the suction side. What I tried to say was a check valve on
the discharge pipe but at the base of the pump.

The new Flotec pump I just purchased states, install check valve to
prevent flow backwards through pump after pump shuts off. But it does
not say or diagram exactly where.

It also says, Flotec valve part #xxx is equipped with an air bleed
hole to prevent air locks. If using a valve without air bleed hole,
drill 1/8" hole in discharge pipe just above pump body but below the
check valve.

From that I would assume they mean low in the pit, as it would
otherwise send a stream of water out of the pipe onto the floor when
pumping if the check valve were above the pit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sudy Nim" writes:

Sorry about that, I did not make myself clear, I meant the discharge
side not the suction side. What I tried to say was a check valve on
the discharge pipe but at the base of the pump.

The new Flotec pump I just purchased states, install check valve to
prevent flow backwards through pump after pump shuts off. But it does
not say or diagram exactly where.

Anywhere up out of the water. Most I've seen tend to be above the
floor by about 2-3 feet for practical reasons of allowing you to bring
the sump cover lid up without disassembling the pipes.

It also says, Flotec valve part #xxx is equipped with an air bleed
hole to prevent air locks. If using a valve without air bleed hole,
drill 1/8" hole in discharge pipe just above pump body but below the
check valve.

From that I would assume they mean low in the pit, as it would
otherwise send a stream of water out of the pipe onto the floor when
pumping if the check valve were above the pit?

Correct. Bonus points if you drill the hole at a slight downward
angle.

Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

All this rhetoric about the check valve placement. JUST SCREW THEM INTO THE
PUMP. There's no reason to have them out of the water. I've got one check
valve that's been through 5 pumps in the last 23 years. Still works fine.

--
Steve Barker

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"Sudy Nim" writes:

Sorry about that, I did not make myself clear, I meant the discharge
side not the suction side. What I tried to say was a check valve on
the discharge pipe but at the base of the pump.

The new Flotec pump I just purchased states, install check valve to
prevent flow backwards through pump after pump shuts off. But it does
not say or diagram exactly where.

Anywhere up out of the water. Most I've seen tend to be above the
floor by about 2-3 feet for practical reasons of allowing you to bring
the sump cover lid up without disassembling the pipes.

It also says, Flotec valve part #xxx is equipped with an air bleed
hole to prevent air locks. If using a valve without air bleed hole,
drill 1/8" hole in discharge pipe just above pump body but below the
check valve.

From that I would assume they mean low in the pit, as it would