In The Trenches

Default Sump pump question

I have a heavy duty basement sump pump which is submersed. The basement is
equipped with a toilet. The sump pumps vertically about 6' to send the waste
water to the city's sewer level. I have two 6" pipes going into the sump
vertically. One has a check valve to stop back flow and when the pump turns
on I can hear water moving through it but the other one I'm not sure about.
Any ideas? I thought maybe it was a vent stack but I have not idea why the
sump would need a vent.

Joseph Meehan

In The Trenches wrote:
I have a heavy duty basement sump pump which is submersed. The
basement is equipped with a toilet. The sump pumps vertically about
6' to send the waste water to the city's sewer level. I have two 6"
pipes going into the sump vertically. One has a check valve to stop
back flow and when the pump turns on I can hear water moving through
it but the other one I'm not sure about. Any ideas? I thought maybe
it was a vent stack but I have not idea why the sump would need a
vent.

Radon vent?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Speedy Jim

In The Trenches wrote:

I have a heavy duty basement sump pump which is submersed. The basement is
equipped with a toilet. The sump pumps vertically about 6' to send the waste
water to the city's sewer level. I have two 6" pipes going into the sump
vertically. One has a check valve to stop back flow and when the pump turns
on I can hear water moving through it but the other one I'm not sure about.
Any ideas? I thought maybe it was a vent stack but I have not idea why the
sump would need a vent.

Ah! Not a "sump" pump but rather a sewage pump (I assume).
These pumps are sealed to prevent sewer gas escape.
As the pump removes the water in the tank, air must be
fed in to replace the lost volume. That's the primary
reason for the vent connection.

Jim

Joseph Meehan

In The Trenches wrote:
Ahhh I think you've got it....this pump empties the toilet and the
weeping tile....thanks...

Yes, then Speedy was right.

I was wondering why you noted there was a toilet in the basement for a
question about a sump pump. I should have caught that.