Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Pool pump noise

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 10:20:05 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

The Jacuzzi pool pump (1 h.p. about 5 years old) makes a
different noise this season:
1. Runs faster (22 to 24 p.s.i. indicated, formerly 15 p.s.i.; but
the pressure gauge is faulty, e.g. shows 8 p.s.i. when no pressure.)
I first thought this was due to new pipe connectors in an improved layout.

The noise may be aeration or cavitation. Check the inlet plumping.
Did the new inlet become more restrictive than the former? Use
Vaseline on O-rings and make sure every pipe joint is sealed
perfectly.

2. High-pitched metallic whine which is new. The pump made a
perceptible noise in earlier seasons, that I cannot now remember
exactly, but something like the house's (shallow) well-water pump
It now sounds like a cheap clockwork toy overspeeding.

Does this suggest any likely cause or remedy? Rotor bearings?

Does it still pump volume? Is it leaking around the shaft seal?

The motor coupling may be bad or loose. The mount may be loose.
The bearing could be bad but doubtful.