Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sort of OT ...swimming pool clock?

Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water jet
down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with a face
mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a breath of air
(broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that will work under
water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the floor of the pool so I can
time my swims... I have googled this to death but can't find
anything...anybody ever seen or heard of this?...Thanks... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim & lil wrote:
Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water
jet down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with
a face mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a
breath of air (broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that
will work under water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the
floor of the pool so I can time my swims... I have googled this to
death but can't find anything...anybody ever seen or heard of
this?...Thanks... Jim

How about an old fashioned timer switch, like the ones for bathroom fans, and a
light placed where you'd see it from the water. Twist the switch to your desired
time, jump in, and swim till the light goes off. The common ones go up to an
hour, others will work longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim & lil" wrote in message
el...
Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water jet
down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with a face
mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a breath of air
(broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that will work under
water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the floor of the pool so I
can time my swims... I have googled this to death but can't find
anything...anybody ever seen or heard of this?...Thanks... Jim

How long do you usually swim?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim & lil wrote:

Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water
jet down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with
a face mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a
breath of air (broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that
will work under water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the
floor of the pool so I can time my swims... I have googled this to
death but can't find anything...anybody ever seen or heard of
this?...Thanks... Jim

How about a dive watch? Strap it to something heavy enough to stay put on
the bottom of the pool (a rock, a chunk of brass) and then you don't need a
suction cup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
Jim & lil wrote:

Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water
jet down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with
a face mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a
breath of air (broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that
will work under water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the
floor of the pool so I can time my swims... I have googled this to
death but can't find anything...anybody ever seen or heard of
this?...Thanks... Jim

How about a dive watch? Strap it to something heavy enough to stay
put on the bottom of the pool (a rock, a chunk of brass) and then you
don't need a suction cup.

How about just a plain old waterproof watch?

Also an ordinart $3.50 wall clock from Walmart encased in a clear plastic
bag would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim & lil wrote:
Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water jet
down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with a face
mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a breath of air
(broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that will work under
water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the floor of the pool so I can
time my swims... I have googled this to death but can't find
anything...anybody ever seen or heard of this?...Thanks... Jim

Hmm,
Can't use a water proof wrist watch?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim & lil" wrote:

Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water jet
down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with a face
mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a breath of air
(broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that will work under
water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the floor of the pool so I can
time my swims... I have googled this to death but can't find
anything...anybody ever seen or heard of this?...Thanks... Jim

I'd go with the battery operated clock of your choice in a ziplock
bag. It opens up some possibilities- like alarms - that you might
not find on a waterproof clock.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim & lil" wrote in message
el...
Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water jet
down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with a face
mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a breath of air
(broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that will work under
water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the floor of the pool so I
can time my swims... I have googled this to death but can't find
anything...anybody ever seen or heard of this?...Thanks... Jim

Just get one of the big battery powered clocks , put it in a plastic bag
with some weights and sink it. Maybe a string on it so you can pull it back
up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jim & lil" wrote:

Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water jet
down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with a face
mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a breath of air
(broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that will work under
water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the floor of the pool so I can
time my swims... I have googled this to death but can't find
anything...anybody ever seen or heard of this?...Thanks... Jim

A local fellow here invented the "Time Window" which is a miniature
goggle-mounted full-function stopwatch designed for competitive
swimmers. We used to do the assembly of the units for him.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...s/1277556.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

How about a dive watch? Strap it to something heavy enough to stay
put on the bottom of the pool (a rock, a chunk of brass) and then you
don't need a suction cup.

How about just a plain old waterproof watch?

Also an ordinart $3.50 wall clock from Walmart encased in a clear
plastic bag would work.

But not the kind that need to be plugged into an outlet....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Training for Olympics? How about a plain old fashioned water proof watch????
And how did you break your neck?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

How about a dive watch? Strap it to something heavy enough to stay
put on the bottom of the pool (a rock, a chunk of brass) and then
you don't need a suction cup.

How about just a plain old waterproof watch?

Also an ordinart $3.50 wall clock from Walmart encased in a clear
plastic bag would work.

But not the kind that need to be plugged into an outlet....

Why not? I've got an old, two-prong, wall clock that should work...

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

How about a dive watch? Strap it to something heavy enough to stay
put on the bottom of the pool (a rock, a chunk of brass) and then
you don't need a suction cup.

How about just a plain old waterproof watch?

Also an ordinart $3.50 wall clock from Walmart encased in a clear
plastic bag would work.

But not the kind that need to be plugged into an outlet....

Why not? I've got an old, two-prong, wall clock that should work...

I'm thinking we need to run this past the Legal Dept. pretty soon, I see
lawsuits on the horizon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim & lil" wrote in message
el...
Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water jet
down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with a face
mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a breath of air
(broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that will work under
water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the floor of the pool so I
can time my swims... I have googled this to death but can't find
anything...anybody ever seen or heard of this?...Thanks... Jim

Again, I'm a bit late with any comments but.............................

Have you ever thought about contacting the supplier or installer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

How about a dive watch? Strap it to something heavy enough to stay
put on the bottom of the pool (a rock, a chunk of brass) and then you
don't need a suction cup.

How about just a plain old waterproof watch?

Also an ordinart $3.50 wall clock from Walmart encased in a clear
plastic bag would work.

But not the kind that need to be plugged into an outlet....

No problem there ...

http://tinyurl.com/lmrwth

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

How about a dive watch? Strap it to something heavy enough to
stay put on the bottom of the pool (a rock, a chunk of brass) and
then you don't need a suction cup.

How about just a plain old waterproof watch?

Also an ordinart $3.50 wall clock from Walmart encased in a clear
plastic bag would work.

But not the kind that need to be plugged into an outlet....

No problem there ...

http://tinyurl.com/lmrwth

No problem yet ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

How about a dive watch? Strap it to something heavy enough to stay
put on the bottom of the pool (a rock, a chunk of brass) and then you
don't need a suction cup.
How about just a plain old waterproof watch?

Also an ordinart $3.50 wall clock from Walmart encased in a clear
plastic bag would work.

But not the kind that need to be plugged into an outlet....

No problem there ...

http://tinyurl.com/lmrwth

Any way to add a timer to the pump? When the water current stops, time
to get out.

An underwater light that goes off or comes on at the end of a timer
cycle would probably work as well. Or unless pool is in full sunlight
all the time, perhaps a waterproof strobe light above the splash zone,
which could be completely separate from the existing pool setup. Looking
at a dive watch would break the swimming rhythm, and a clock on the
bottom would have to be awful big to be easily readable.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

How about a dive watch? Strap it to something heavy enough to stay
put on the bottom of the pool (a rock, a chunk of brass) and then you
don't need a suction cup.

How about just a plain old waterproof watch?

Also an ordinart $3.50 wall clock from Walmart encased in a clear
plastic bag would work.

But not the kind that need to be plugged into an outlet....

No problem there ...

http://tinyurl.com/lmrwth

yeah, no alcohol-affected decision-making there....

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Any way to add a timer to the pump? When the water current stops, time
to get out.

An underwater light that goes off or comes on at the end of a timer
cycle would probably work as well. Or unless pool is in full sunlight
all the time, perhaps a waterproof strobe light above the splash zone,
which could be completely separate from the existing pool setup. Looking
at a dive watch would break the swimming rhythm, and a clock on the
bottom would have to be awful big to be easily readable.

If all he is trying to do is telling himself when to get out (not
interested in lap times, etc), then all he really would need to do is
set an alarm clock for however long he wanted to swim and then get out
when it went off. Battery operated or even a cell phone.

--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton's Third Law meaning that, for every action
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Any way to add a timer to the pump? When the water current stops, time
to get out.

An underwater light that goes off or comes on at the end of a timer
cycle would probably work as well. Or unless pool is in full sunlight
all the time, perhaps a waterproof strobe light above the splash zone,
which could be completely separate from the existing pool setup. Looking
at a dive watch would break the swimming rhythm, and a clock on the
bottom would have to be awful big to be easily readable.

If all he is trying to do is telling himself when to get out (not
interested in lap times, etc), then all he really would need to do is
set an alarm clock for however long he wanted to swim and then get out
when it went off. Battery operated or even a cell phone.

Not so sure that will work due to noise of the water, both the pumping
and his splashing as he swims.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Not to mention, how do you do timed laps in a wave pool? You are not
actually moving relative to the edges of the pool, as I understand it.
Duration of the session is about the only thing you can time.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
aemeijers wrote:

Not to mention, how do you do timed laps in a wave pool? You are not
actually moving relative to the edges of the pool, as I understand it.
Duration of the session is about the only thing you can time.

--
aem sends...

Good point. I sometimes miss the subtleties a three or four

The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton's Third Law meaning that, for every action
there is an equally disproportionate overreaction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

If all he is trying to do is telling himself when to get out (not
interested in lap times, etc), then all he really would need to do is
set an alarm clock for however long he wanted to swim and then get out
when it went off. Battery operated or even a cell phone.

I have an effective timer I use on our exercise machine (the one that is set
up, as opposed to the one that is up in the garage attic)--when it feels
like I'm going to throw up my heart, I stop. Oddly enough even though it
feels like a half hour, the built-in timer on the machine usually lies and
says it was just a few minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sort of OT ...swimming pool clock? Thank you

"Jim & lil" wrote in message
el...
Hello,
I have a Hydropool which is a swimming pool that shoots a water jet
down the center and you can swim against the current. I swim with a face
mask and snorkel as I find it too hard to turn my head for a breath of air
(broken neck a year ago) so am looking for a clock that will work under
water. I want to be able to suction cup it to the floor of the pool so I
can time my swims... I have googled this to death but can't find
anything...anybody ever seen or heard of this?...Thanks... Jim

A Big thanks to all that replied with constructive help... I managed to
find one in S Korea on Ebay that can be held underwater and has suction cups
to hold it down...it's not much money so am gonna take my chances.. To those
that sugested a dive watch, I have tried that and when I look at it, it
breaks my rythm and find myself pushed to the back of the pool...and those
that suggested lighting, my workout was to involve 10 minutes of straight
crawl, then ten minutes breast stroke, five minutes of side stroke etc and
would break it up daily so a light wouldn't work...

Again thanks for all the reponses... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 2:12*pm, "Jim & lil" wrote:
"Jim & lil" wrote in messagenews:lYedncBya4YB0rzXnZ2dnUVZ_qWdnZ2d@poste d.sasktel...

[...]

Yeah, but we wanna know how you broke your neck. Fess up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Mike" wrote in message
On Jun 1, 2:12 pm, "Jim & lil" wrote:
[...]

Okay ...Guess i owe everybody for all the responses... I was carrying my
luggage down a flight of stairs to check out of a motel room one morning
last fall. I was wearing a pair of flip flops and I missed the first stair
and went over the top of my luggage head first.. I cracked my head pretty
good at the bottom of the staircase. I went back to my room and mopped the
blood off my forehead and then drove 4 hrs to get home. By the time I got
home I had a real goose egg on my head and my neck would make this grinding
sound when I turned it......I went in for xrays ...I know...I am very lucky
to be verticle and thank the big guy every day for that...so there ya have
it!... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 1, 4:27*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

On Jun 1, 2:12 pm, "Jim & lil" wrote:

[...]

it!... Jim- Hide quoted text -

um... all I can say is OW OW OW OW OW OW OW

seriously my neck started to hurt just reading that. Yeah, a
"grinding sound" in your neck is a Bad Thing(tm)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message

On Jun 1, 2:12 pm, "Jim & lil" wrote:

[...]

Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

.I am very lucky
to be verticle and thank the big guy every day for that

How come the big guy didn't keep you from falling in the first place?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

.I am very lucky
to be verticle and thank the big guy every day for that

How come the big guy didn't keep you from falling in the first place?

Because he wanted to teach me a lesson in carrying too many suitcases while
wearing flip flops...so I thank him for teaching me that lesson...Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

.I am very lucky
to be verticle and thank the big guy every day for that

How come the big guy didn't keep you from falling in the first place?

Because he wanted to teach me a lesson in carrying too many suitcases while
wearing flip flops...so I thank him for teaching me that lesson...Jim

I see. And the people who fall down the stairs and *do* become
paraplegic? I guess he wanted to teach them the lesson that walking is
overrated?

Just once I'd like to meet a believer who can construct a logical,
non-circular argument to substantiate his view of god's workings.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Sort of OT ..theological thread hijack

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

.I am very lucky
to be verticle and thank the big guy every day for that

How come the big guy didn't keep you from falling in the first place?

Because he wanted to teach me a lesson in carrying too many suitcases
while
wearing flip flops...so I thank him for teaching me that lesson...Jim

I see. And the people who fall down the stairs and *do* become
paraplegic? I guess he wanted to teach them the lesson that walking is
overrated?

Just once I'd like to meet a believer who can construct a logical,
non-circular argument to substantiate his view of god's workings.

It'd also be nice to meet a non who didn't take every op to crap in other
people's cheerios just because they believe in something different.

That's intolerence.

You're entitled to your opinion. For your sake, I hope you're right. For
mine, I'll believe I am.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

[...]

BRAVO!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Joe" wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion. For your sake, I hope you're right. For
mine, I'll believe I am.

I have always lived by the words of Laura Nyro "I''ll swear they ain't
no heaven, but I'll prey there ain't no hell."

--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton's Third Law meaning that, for every action
there is an equally disproportionate overreaction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*I'm NOT talking about their beliefs in god, only their beliefs in how
god intervenes in their lives. (For example, if god wanted to teach you
not to carry too many suitcases down a flight of stairs while wearing
flip-flops, why couldn't he have written you a letter with toothpaste on
the mirror instead of tripping you?)

Usually when one falls down some steps, the first words are "Thank God
I didn't break my neck".
It could always be worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline