Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default filling up a swimming pool

Hi,

I am thiking of buying a house that has a 15 ft deep pool and would
like to fill it up. I am in Northern California and don't see the need
for such a deep and very large pool.

Does anyone know approximately how much this would cost or of any
problems associated with filling up a pool? I would most likely put
grass over it.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kalpana

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
oups.com...

I am thiking of buying a house that has a 15 ft deep pool and would
like to fill it up. I am in Northern California and don't see the need
for such a deep and very large pool.

Does anyone know approximately how much this would cost or of any
problems associated with filling up a pool? I would most likely put
grass over it.

Your practical problem would be access, i.e. how
easily dump trucks can reach the pool, empty their
loads and depart. Whenever foundations are being
excavated, contractors want cheap places where
fill can be dumped and prefer free places. You have
a right to specify only clean fill (consult city hall
about this) but you have to be there to inspect
each load for yourself -- if there is room for trucks
to reach the pool site and dump their loads.
(This is based on a neighbour's experience
landscaping his bush lot. He accepted about 20
truckloads a day for a month or so, and rejected
a few as contaminated by rusty metal etc. The dump
site was about 20 km. from the excavation site.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Per the other commenter, if you really don't want the pool AND you
can't get trucks back there, you'd have to skip on the house.

You would definitely wanna get the details about the pool straightened
out beforehand - are there any permits required, environmental concerns
(who knows), how much to fill it in.

Were it me I would either not buy the house or just leave it covered in
case I got transferred for work.