Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Wheresthebabes

Default Anyone tried an indoor swimming pool?

There was once a hotel in Las Vegas which featured a private indoor
swimming pool next to some of the rooms. The walls were plaster with
a sliding glass door on the entry and for outside access. There was
also a ventilation fan to reduce the humidity, which was probably
helped by the dry desert climate.

I thought such an arrangement was cool, but I've never seen a mid
level suburban house where the owners have set up an indoor pool.
Has anyone else?

Does anyone know of an architect in SoCal who might be up
to that kind of an engineering problem?

Thanks
no useful info

In article ,
Wheresthebabes wrote:

There was once a hotel in Las Vegas which featured a private indoor
swimming pool next to some of the rooms. The walls were plaster with
a sliding glass door on the entry and for outside access. There was
also a ventilation fan to reduce the humidity, which was probably
helped by the dry desert climate.

I thought such an arrangement was cool, but I've never seen a mid
level suburban house where the owners have set up an indoor pool.
Has anyone else?

Does anyone know of an architect in SoCal who might be up
to that kind of an engineering problem?

Thanks

Don't know of an architect, but about 25 or so years I visited a house
in Sonora that had one. They are very neat and they were able to
convince the state that it qualified as solar storage (which it
definately was used for) so it was partially subsidized (and this may
still work).

Very good way to have enormous thermal mass to moderate temperature in
your house.

I'd re-ask this question in alt.solar.thermal.

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 06:22:20 GMT, someone wrote:

I thought such an arrangement was cool, but I've never seen a mid
level suburban house where the owners have set up an indoor pool.
Has anyone else?

Well, the way you ask it - mid level house - only a few times. I saw
one where the next buyer filled in the pool and made the enclosure
into a large garage. I have seen one that I was shown when I was
house hunting, and it was awful and impeding the sale of the house.

Obviously due to the size & cost of the enclosure, these would occur
more frequently in higher end custom houses.

It works best in the climates where it is least needed~ if its warm
and dry out, then merely ventilating the enclosure (or leaving the
massive sliders open) keeps the humidity under control. In cold
climates, if you keep it closed up the humidity and chemical smell can
be awful. But if you ventilate, your heating bill is huge - when you
blow out all that warm moist air, what do you think it is replaced
with????

In the North, many the mid/low priced chain hotel had a small indoor
pool, its not that big a deal or all that novel a concept.

-v.