Posted to alt.home.repair

Default filling up a swimming pool

Hi,

I am thiking of buying a house that has a 15 ft deep pool and would
like to fill it up. I am in Northern California and don't see the need
for such a deep and very large pool.

Does anyone know approximately how much this would cost or of any
problems associated with filling up a pool? I would most likely put
grass over it.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kalpana

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I am thiking of buying a house that has a 15 ft deep pool and would
like to fill it up. I am in Northern California and don't see the need
for such a deep and very large pool.

Does anyone know approximately how much this would cost or of any
problems associated with filling up a pool? I would most likely put
grass over it.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kalpana

You want the short answer or the long answer?

You want ridiculous speculation or you want facts?

Let's start with the ridiculous short speculation first .....

Just fill it in.

Now for the facts:

Filling in a swimming pool is not a simple thing. A friend of mine is
president of a HOA, and they want to fill in three. Price per each, done
according to code, $115,000 per pool.

If you ever want to sell the house, you must disclose the pool's existence.
At that time, depending on the lender, they may want you to redo the work
according to code. A cash buyer may not, but you may take a hit on the
price.

Doing it according to code means this: A licensed contractor comes in and
digs up all the stuff. They test the soil. They fill one foot of depth at
a time, and a county test agent does a compaction test on it every foot.

I know because we had a pool removed, and built an add on over the space.
That is what was required.

So, it depends on what you are going to do with the space, what your local
laws are, if you ever intend to sell, and if you do ever sell do you intend
to lie on the disclosure and ask, "Pool, what pool?" Which anyone who knows
how to search public records could find. It is probably permanently in your
county records of the history of the house, and will pop out forever in a
real estate agent's investigation of the house records.

I'd ask around where you live first, and not put too much stock in answers
you get here. This is no small thing regarding your house, and it CAN
surface later to bite you in a very painful place.

HTH.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Filling in a swimming pool is not a simple thing. A friend of mine is
president of a HOA, and they want to fill in three. Price per each, done
according to code, $115,000 per pool.

Hmmmm! Seems rather exorbitant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

Filling in a swimming pool is not a simple thing. A friend of mine is
president of a HOA, and they want to fill in three. Price per each, done
according to code, $115,000 per pool.

You could have two acres of land sculpted with a bulldozer for half of that,
at least in NY. Where was that price quote good for? What city & state?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..

Filling in a swimming pool is not a simple thing. A friend of mine is
president of a HOA, and they want to fill in three. Price per each, done
according to code, $115,000 per pool.

Hmmmm! Seems rather exorbitant.

Sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. But if you want it done according to
the rules and laws of Clark County, Nevada, that is what a contractor wants.
Even the Board of Health gets involved. $115,000 each was the low bid, too,
and that does not include studies or permits.

Even more ridiculous, the HOA first has to have a 100% unanimous agreement,
with signed statements, that there is not ONE homeowner that considers the
removal of the three pools to be a "downgrade" of the property. If one
owner protests, they CAN NOT remove the pools.

The consideration for removal of the pools is because of the aging
population of the owners, advancing pool maintenance costs, replastering,
service, maintaining all the iron fencing that is rusting, and the 30 year
age of the property which means that everything is wearing out or falling
down daily. The monthly HOA dues are reaching critical mass, but it is just
because there is so much to be maintained, and it costs so much.

In the old days, one would just fill a pool in. Welcome to today. The OP
stated they were in California, which has their own special rules governing
everything. The California Environmental Impact Studies will be $100,000 by
itself! Then there will be the relocation costs for the insects and rodents
displaced by the construction project. Easily another $100,000. This could
affect the watering habits of pigeons in the area, thus requiring a special
FEDERAL variance, another $100,000. And if it is proven the removal of the
pool affects any endangered species, the whole house may just have to be
buried...................... ;-)

There is nothing simple any more. Don't you love progress, civilization,
and the advances of humanity?

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

I think we should start up a new company in Clark County, Nevada before this
gold mine goes away. I thought Collier Country, Florida was ridiculous (and
it is, but pales by comparison).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote

I think we should start up a new company in Clark County, Nevada before
this gold mine goes away. I thought Collier Country, Florida was
ridiculous (and it is, but pales by comparison).

IIRC, 7,000 people a month move to Las Vegas presently. The population is
projected to be 4.3 million by 2030.

Lots of people come here every day and start up new companies.

Some of them even speak English.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

get an architect who can handle all the laws permits and contractors
related to what is elsewhere sometimes a do it yourself with a
bulldozer and a dumptruck project. you probably have zoning, drainage,
neighborhood restrictions. need right of ways from neighbors, may
require california earthquake building code demands. what ever you do
do not just drain it, the water in some pools is required to support
the earth against collapse. as a pool owner this is a saddening project
to consider. too bad, it sounds like a nice diving pool and is quite a
valuable asset. before you go any farther think entertaining, breeze,
neighbors, view, stars, fish, ducks, lighting, reflection pool,
floating reflective mirrored globes. if only the pool depth scares
you it can be made shallower.

wrote:
Hi,

I am thiking of buying a house that has a 15 ft deep pool and would
like to fill it up. I am in Northern California and don't see the need
for such a deep and very large pool.

Does anyone know approximately how much this would cost or of any
problems associated with filling up a pool? I would most likely put
grass over it.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kalpana

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Charles Schuler" wrote

I think we should start up a new company in Clark County, Nevada before
this gold mine goes away. I thought Collier Country, Florida was
ridiculous (and it is, but pales by comparison).

IIRC, 7,000 people a month move to Las Vegas presently. The population is
projected to be 4.3 million by 2030.

Lots of people come here every day and start up new companies.

Some of them even speak English.

Same here. Nature abhors a vacuum:
http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...+a+vacuum.html

It's the ones who speak English who make the really big bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I am thiking of buying a house that has a 15 ft deep pool and would
like to fill it up. I am in Northern California and don't see the need
for such a deep and very large pool.

Does anyone know approximately how much this would cost or of any
problems associated with filling up a pool? I would most likely put
grass over it.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kalpana

Would make a nice wine seller, Bomb shelter or storage room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sacramento Dave wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I am thiking of buying a house that has a 15 ft deep pool and would
like to fill it up. I am in Northern California and don't see the
need for such a deep and very large pool.

Does anyone know approximately how much this would cost or of any
problems associated with filling up a pool? I would most likely put
grass over it.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kalpana

Would make a nice wine seller, Bomb shelter or storage room.

Cost me 3.5K including top soil and resodding.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

Even more ridiculous, the HOA first has to have a 100% unanimous
agreement, with signed statements, that there is not ONE homeowner that
considers the removal of the three pools to be a "downgrade" of the
property. If one owner protests, they CAN NOT remove the pools.

There is nothing simple any more. Don't you love progress, civilization,
and the advances of humanity?

Thank you for reminding me why I'd never live where there is an HOA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for reminding me why I'd never live where there is an HOA.

Amen to that. But, I'll admit that I am in that situation (for the second
time) and will simply offer that life is a series of uncomfortable
compromises. Happiness is finding the set of compromises that are the least
onerous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:
Thank you for reminding me why I'd never live where there is an HOA.

Amen to that. But, I'll admit that I am in that situation (for the second
time) and will simply offer that life is a series of uncomfortable
compromises. Happiness is finding the set of compromises that are the least
onerous.

I will admit I didnt think of permits and such . Where I live you can
still do a lot of stuff without a lot of red tape.

The only thing I could find locally is a 2' dig requirement . That is
NOTHING is allowed within two feet of the ground level unless it shows
above grade. So if you have post in the ground you cant just cut it
off and bury it , youhave to dig it out.

Your local town planning office is an obvious place to start .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:36:38 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

What is the size of the pools including deck area?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ashton Crusher" wrote

What is the size of the pools including deck area?

I would estimate them to be 10,000 square feet or so.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B spake thus:

[...]

In the old days, one would just fill a pool in. Welcome to today. The OP
stated they were in California, which has their own special rules governing
everything. The California Environmental Impact Studies will be $100,000 by
itself! Then there will be the relocation costs for the insects and rodents
displaced by the construction project. Easily another $100,000. This could
affect the watering habits of pigeons in the area, thus requiring a special
FEDERAL variance, another $100,000. And if it is proven the removal of the
pool affects any endangered species, the whole house may just have to be
buried...................... ;-)

I think you're making this stuff up as you go along.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Steve B spake thus:

[...]

In the old days, one would just fill a pool in. Welcome to today. The
OP stated they were in California, which has their own special rules
governing everything. The California Environmental Impact Studies will
be $100,000 by itself! Then there will be the relocation costs for the
insects and rodents displaced by the construction project. Easily
another $100,000. This could affect the watering habits of pigeons in
the area, thus requiring a special FEDERAL variance, another $100,000.
And if it is proven the removal of the pool affects any endangered
species, the whole house may just have to be buried......................
;-)

I think you're making this stuff up as you go along.

You don't think ................. ;-)

The previous I made up, but the part about the contractor wanting $115,000
each to fill three swimming pools at some nearby condos according to local
code is a true story.

Steve