Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chainsaw recommendation

Looking for some chainsaw recommendations.

I had an old (25 year?) Sears, and an old Poulan. Both were 14" gas,
someone wanted to buy one, so I gave them their choice. They took the
Poulan. I broke the cardinal rule of never loan out tools, loaned my Sears
out, and it came back froze up and had the chain run into dirt. I'm not
about to fix the Sears (if I could), since it's so old. So much for ever
loaning anything out again, it's certainly a great way to break up a
so-called friendship. The person refused to kick in anything to help me get
it going, or help buy a different one. With friends like these, you know
the rest.

The saw will be only for home use. I have a couple/few trees I need to take
down, thinking of a 14 or 16".

Looking through the Sears site, I see some cheap chainsaws. Naturally, my
instincts tell me to stay away from "cheap".
Being on a tight budget, I'm not looking to pay $400. Can I get a decent
saw in the $150? Ok, quit laughing.

Anyone got any recommendations for a budget saw?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

"Tom L." wrote in message
Looking for some chainsaw recommendations.

I had an old (25 year?) Sears, and an old Poulan. Both were 14" gas,
someone wanted to buy one, so I gave them their choice. They took the
Poulan. I broke the cardinal rule of never loan out tools, loaned my Sears
out, and it came back froze up and had the chain run into dirt. I'm not
about to fix the Sears (if I could), since it's so old. So much for ever
loaning anything out again, it's certainly a great way to break up a
so-called friendship. The person refused to kick in anything to help me
get it going, or help buy a different one. With friends like these, you
know the rest.

At least your friend didn't do what I saw in this movie --

A woman was holding a gun to another woman's head and a man goes to save the
victim so he goes to his car and opens the trunk and takes out a chainsaw.
He sneaks up on the woman with the gat and saws off her elbow and you see
the arm fall to the ground with the gat still in her hand. Then she tries to
fight the guy with a chainsaw with half her arm and then realizes that she
is in deep ****. So she starts running and that's when the man saws off her
knee and half her leg falls to the ground and then she starts screaming
while he starts sawing her in half. Before he cut her head in half she
screamed, "I take it all back, Pete Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom L. wrote:
[...]

I have an el cheapo Poulan. Works fine now but oil pump broke after
about 6 hours use. Was fixed under warranty. Not sure I'd buy another
chainsaw advertised "for occasional use."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom L. wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Stihl has a sping sale on now in my area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom L. wrote:
[...]

If you're not going to buy a stihl, then this is probably the next best
bet.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3239_200333239

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom L. wrote:
Looking for some chainsaw recommendations.

(snip)
The saw will be only for home use. I have a couple/few trees I need to take
down, thinking of a 14 or 16".

Looking through the Sears site, I see some cheap chainsaws. Naturally, my
instincts tell me to stay away from "cheap".
Being on a tight budget, I'm not looking to pay $400. Can I get a decent
saw in the $150? Ok, quit laughing.

Anyone got any recommendations for a budget saw?

Thanks

You can most likely rent a decent saw for $50/day.

If you prefer to own one and "around the house" means within extension
cord distance, consider an electric saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's been a long time ago, but I did get a Stihl on trade.
It had some kind of trouble with the off switch, but the
choke kills it, at super low idle.

If you can get a good saw at sping sale prices, that's the
way to go.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
Stihl has a sping sale on now in my area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My two saws. One's a home owner Stihl, the off switch is
undependable. The other is a rebuilt Homelite. When I have
chainsaw jobs, I use the Homelite whenever possible. Mine is
PS-33. Runs dependably, and cuts wood.

As to the guy who brought back the broken saw. I'd seek out
all his friends, and go tell them about the broken saw.

http://www.google.com/products?q=cha...0&pr ice2=200

Google shopping search turned up a wide variety of saws.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tom L." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Paulsen wrote:
Tom L. wrote:
Looking for some chainsaw recommendations.

(snip)
The saw will be only for home use. I have a couple/few trees I need to
take down, thinking of a 14 or 16".

Looking through the Sears site, I see some cheap chainsaws. Naturally,
my instincts tell me to stay away from "cheap".
Being on a tight budget, I'm not looking to pay $400. Can I get a
decent saw in the $150? Ok, quit laughing.

Anyone got any recommendations for a budget saw?

Thanks

You can most likely rent a decent saw for $50/day.

If you prefer to own one and "around the house" means within extension
cord distance, consider an electric saw.

Hi,
Electric? What can you do with it? pruning? If you like to get frustrated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 9:36 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Electric? What can you do with it? pruning? If you like to get frustrated.

I don't own one, but I borrowed one from my parents once and was
surprised how well it worked. Unfortunately, I don't remember the
brand.

It was not in the same league as a good gas saw, but would be fine for
taking down a few medium sized branches (even 6-8 inches?) now and
then. If I were taking down a whole tree or maintaining a dozen large
trees, I'd want a gas saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom L." wrote in message
Being on a tight budget, I'm not looking to pay $400. Can I get a decent
saw in the $150? Ok, quit laughing.

Anyone got any recommendations for a budget saw?

I had a $129 saw. I tossed it in the woods one day and bought a Stihl.
Maybe you can find my cheapo in the woods and get it to run more that 10
seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 20, 4:32*pm, "Tom L." wrote:
[...]

Rental stores around here favor Echo. The ones I've seen all seem to
be good performers, and the rental stock has a fair number of
obviously early models. Any saw making it through multiple seasons of
rental use must have pretty decent creds.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom L." wrote:

Being on a tight budget, I'm not looking to pay $400. Can I get a decent
saw in the $150? Ok, quit laughing.

Given that you aren't one of Monty Pyton's luberjacks, you don't need a
commercial lumberjack's saw, do you? Even if you plan to cut a cord or two a
season, a saw that only lasts a couple of season's isn't going to be a bad deal
financially.

A few years ago, I bought a decent McCulloch from Amazon. Great price, came with
a nice case. The only problem was that it was a limited edition model and not
easy to find the right replacement bar/chain. Possible - but not at the local
big box.

This one looks a little more common though:

http://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-16-I...2876624&sr=8-4
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Tom L." wrote in message
Being on a tight budget, I'm not looking to pay $400. Can I get a decent
saw in the $150? Ok, quit laughing.

Anyone got any recommendations for a budget saw?

I had a $129 saw. I tossed it in the woods one day and bought a Stihl.
Maybe you can find my cheapo in the woods and get it to run more that 10
seconds.
I have an Echo CS 360T 16 inch saw I bought a couple of years ago for about
250 bucks...Work the hell out of it..Love it...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RMD RMD is offline

On Wed, 20 May 2009 17:32:17 -0400, "Tom L." wrote:

[...]

I have both petrol and electric chainsaws.

I mostly use my electric chainsaw. It is quiet to use and cuts as well
as the fuel saws. Always starts straight away for very occasional use
too.

My brother bought an el-cheapo electric chain saw. It cut down three
largish trees and at the end wasn't even blunt and looked as good as
new. The tree cuttings filled 2 front yards and a back yard, so it was
a biggish job.

Ross

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom L." wrote in message
[...]

There are no "budget" saws. You get what you pay for. A good chain saw
will last you XX years. When you divide that by the cost, you get the real
mathematical answer.

I bought a Husqvarna 245 for $237 on the Internet. From some people called
Norfolk something in California. Damn good saw.

When it comes to chain saws, there are only two names. Stihl and Husqvarna.
Pick one. Service it like you're supposed to. Learn how to keep the blades
sharp, and if you're lazy, just get several, and Ace will do them for $4
each.

Main thing is to get the tool, learn how to use it, learn how to NOT use it,
treat it like anything else that will take your arm off, and a Stihl/Husky
will last you longer than five of any regular brands.

MHO, YMMV, but I use mine a lot for property maintenance, and for
woodcutting minimum 5 cords a year.

Buy quality and cry only once. And quality can be had for the same price as
the Borg stores.

Steve

PS: Depending on your use, you might want to just go ahead and get an 18"
bar. I have the 16", and wish now that I'd gotten the bigger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
"Tom L." wrote:

Being on a tight budget, I'm not looking to pay $400. Can I get a decent
saw in the $150? Ok, quit laughing.

Given that you aren't one of Monty Pyton's luberjacks, you don't need a
commercial lumberjack's saw, do you? Even if you plan to cut a cord or two
season, a saw that only lasts a couple of season's isn't going to be a bad
deal
financially.

A few years ago, I bought a decent McCulloch from Amazon. Great price,
came with
a nice case. The only problem was that it was a limited edition model and
not
easy to find the right replacement bar/chain. Possible - but not at the
local
big box.

This one looks a little more common though:

http://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-16-I...2876624&sr=8-4

Horse****. Or just plain ****. Buy a real saw, a Stihl or Husky. No
problems finding parts for them. So common, some are sold at the local 7-11
stores. You'll always be able to get a Stihl/Husky fixed. Always.

Limited edition? Were they so bad they only produced a limited run?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 4:32*pm, "Tom L." wrote:
[...]

If I remember right...Sears were mostly Poulans.
I would buy Jonsered, Huskvarna, or Stihl (in that order)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 4:32*pm, "Tom L." wrote:
[...]

My local Lawn machine shop that repairs and sells Sthil and all major
commercial brands says Echos motors are the best. Echos warranty and
motor hours rating is the best I believe. Sthil used to be better but
Echo redesigned their motor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

If I read the OP right, his Sears was 25 years old. Do you really think a
Stihl will last 125 years?

I work for a State agency. We quit considering Stihl for our purchases. The
mechanics in each shop, have more important tasks each day, than to fill it
working on Stihls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-16-I...ant-MCC1635A/d...

Horse****. *Or just plain ****. *Buy a real saw, a Stihl or Husky. *No
problems finding parts for them. *So common, some are sold at the local 7-11
stores. *You'll always be able to get a Stihl/Husky fixed. *Always.

Limited edition? *Were they so bad they only produced a limited run?

Steve- Hide quoted text -

And since when does each brand have its own type of chain. Any small
engine shop can make up a chain to fit any saw in about 1 minute flat.

"Limited Edition"!!! That got my day off to a fine start with a good
belly laugh.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On May 20, 4:32 pm, "Tom L." wrote:
[...]

May be so but one of our church member owns a small engine shop
who used to sell Echo. I asked why when he quit selling them. His
answer, they keep changing things and stocking ever chagning parts is a
hassle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 9:23*am, "Kurt" wrote:
If I read the OP right, his Sears was 25 years old. Do you really think a
Stihl will last 125 years?

A budget saw of 25 years ago is 5 times the budget saw of today, if
that. Frankly I doubt you'd get 5 years out of a Homelite, Poulan, or
Mcculloch built today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RMD wrote:
[...]

I'll second that. After I bought this place 4 years ago, I knew I'd need
something for the occasional broken branch and such, but couldn't
mentally justify a 'real' chainsaw for 2/3 acre and a couple dozen
trees. Tripped across a McCullough electric for 15 bucks at a garage
sale, from an older guy who moved into a condo. Didn't have high
expectations, but figured for 15 bucks, what the hell. Had several
decent size branches down after a recent windstorm, up to about 6-8"
diameter. Much to my surprise, the little electric worked great to chop
them up into burn-pile sized pieces. I never measured the bar on it-
probably 16" or so. I probably would not try to fell a large tree with
it, but at this stage in life, I'd hire a big job out anyway. But for
the little jobs, it meets my needs just fine.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I had a 25 year old Poulan, 14". It finally wore out. One thing I
liked about it was that it was very well balanced and could be held
with one hand. The only similar saw I was able to find was an Echo,
everything else was heavier and unwieldy by comparison. One thing I
discovered is that the newer saws now have a much narrower chain (and
bar). This Echo cuts well be if the chain gets the slightest bit
loose there is a good chance of it coming off the bar if it gets
squished at all while I'm cutting with it.

Electric chainsaw recommendation GDStutts Woodturning 23 April 24th 08 04:54 AM
Big Chainsaw GD Metalworking 0 January 3rd 06 02:16 PM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 17 November 9th 05 01:21 AM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 November 6th 05 11:39 PM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 November 6th 05 12:39 PM