Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Chainsaw recommendation

"SteveB" wrote in message

There are no "budget" saws. You get what you pay for. A good chain saw
will last you XX years. When you divide that by the cost, you get the
real mathematical answer.

I bought a Husqvarna 245 for $237 on the Internet. From some people
called Norfolk something in California. Damn good saw.

When it comes to chain saws, there are only two names. Stihl and
Husqvarna. Pick one. Service it like you're supposed to. Learn how to
keep the blades sharp, and if you're lazy, just get several, and Ace will
do them for $4 each.

Main thing is to get the tool, learn how to use it, learn how to NOT use
it, treat it like anything else that will take your arm off, and a
Stihl/Husky will last you longer than five of any regular brands.

MHO, YMMV, but I use mine a lot for property maintenance, and for
woodcutting minimum 5 cords a year.

Buy quality and cry only once. And quality can be had for the same price
as the Borg stores.

Steve

PS: Depending on your use, you might want to just go ahead and get an
18" bar. I have the 16", and wish now that I'd gotten the bigger.

If I read the OP right, his Sears was 25 years old. Do you really think a
Stihl will last 125 years?

I work for a State agency. We quit considering Stihl for our purchases. The
mechanics in each shop, have more important tasks each day, than to fill it
working on Stihls.