Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Chainsaw recommendation

On May 20, 4:32*pm, "Tom L." wrote:
Looking for some chainsaw recommendations.

I had an old (25 year?) Sears, and an old Poulan. Both were 14" gas,
someone wanted to buy one, so I gave them their choice. They took the
Poulan. I broke the cardinal rule of never loan out tools, loaned my Sears
out, and it came back froze up and had the chain run into dirt. I'm not
about to fix the Sears (if I could), since it's so old. So much for ever
loaning anything out again, it's certainly a great way to break up a
so-called friendship. The person refused to kick in anything to help me get
it going, or help buy a different one. With friends like these, you know
the rest.

The saw will be only for home use. I have a couple/few trees I need to take
down, thinking of a 14 or 16".

Looking through the Sears site, I see some cheap chainsaws. Naturally, my
instincts tell me to stay away from "cheap".
Being on a tight budget, I'm not looking to pay $400. Can I get a decent
saw in the $150? Ok, quit laughing.

Anyone got any recommendations for a budget saw?

Thanks

Rental stores around here favor Echo. The ones I've seen all seem to
be good performers, and the rental stock has a fair number of
obviously early models. Any saw making it through multiple seasons of
rental use must have pretty decent creds.

Joe