Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner Fuse Question

When the AC stopped working I pulled the fuses and detemined that one
was bad.

The fuses in there were FLN R 20s: time delay, dual element, 20 amp,
up to 250 volts.

The closest I could find at the store are FRN R 20: time delay, dual
element, 20 amp, 250 volt, heavy duty.

Can I use the FRN in place of the FLN?

-Scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 4:55*pm, SMcK wrote:
When the AC stopped working I pulled the fuses and detemined that one
was bad.

The fuses in there were FLN R 20s: time delay, dual element, 20 amp,
up to 250 volts.

The closest I could find at the store are FRN R 20: time delay, dual
element, 20 amp, 250 volt, heavy duty.

Can I use the FRN in place of the FLN?

-Scott

FYI - the original FLRN was Littlefuse. The FRNR is Bussman. I found
specs on line that say the FLNR is 125/250 volts and the FRNR is
250volts.

-Scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 5:10*pm, SMcK wrote:
On May 17, 4:55*pm, SMcK wrote:

When the AC stopped working I pulled the fuses and detemined that one
was bad.

The fuses in there were FLN R 20s: time delay, dual element, 20 amp,
up to 250 volts.

The closest I could find at the store are FRN R 20: time delay, dual
element, 20 amp, 250 volt, heavy duty.

Can I use the FRN in place of the FLN?

-Scott

FYI - the original FLRN was Littlefuse. *The FRNR is Bussman. *I found
specs on line that say the FLNR is 125/250 volts and the FRNR is
250volts.

-Scott

Make sure you buy two.

When you put the first one in, good chance it will blow right away, if
the fault that caused the original one still exists. Which it
probably does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 5:30*pm, TimR wrote:
On May 17, 5:10*pm, SMcK wrote:

On May 17, 4:55*pm, SMcK wrote:

When the AC stopped working I pulled the fuses and detemined that one
was bad.

The fuses in there were FLN R 20s: time delay, dual element, 20 amp,
up to 250 volts.

The closest I could find at the store are FRN R 20: time delay, dual
element, 20 amp, 250 volt, heavy duty.

Can I use the FRN in place of the FLN?

-Scott

FYI - the original FLRN was Littlefuse. *The FRNR is Bussman. *I found
specs on line that say the FLNR is 125/250 volts and the FRNR is
250volts.

-Scott

Make sure you buy two.

When you put the first one in, good chance it will blow right away, if
the fault that caused the original one still exists. *Which it
probably does.- Hide quoted text -

Actually, I should have said - there were two in there before, only
one of which blew. The replacements came two-to-a-pack, so I do have
two replacements. I still don't know, however, whether it's OK to use
the FRNR as a replacement for the FLNR. Anyone?

-Scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 4:44*pm, SMcK wrote:
On May 17, 5:30*pm, TimR wrote:

On May 17, 5:10*pm, SMcK wrote:

On May 17, 4:55*pm, SMcK wrote:

[...]

Yes, they cross-reference to each other
http://fuseone.com/reference.asp?page=3
See page 3: http://www.airdistributors.com/rapid/571104.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMcK" wrote in message
On May 17, 5:30 pm, TimR wrote:
On May 17, 5:10 pm, SMcK wrote:

On May 17, 4:55 pm, SMcK wrote:

[...]

Yes you can use either kind. There are many kinds of fuses, but many times
you can use other leters if they will fit the holder.

Several years ago where I work the Buss fuse company sent a man out to talk
about fuses. They used to make lots of differant kinds that were really
almost the same. They did that just for bragging rights that they had a
large selection. They passsed out some charts that listed about three or
four new fuses that could replace about 20 of the old types.

Outside of if they physically fit, there are only a few requirements. One
is the amp rating must be the same. The voltage rating must be the same or
higher than the supply voltage. There is also a maximum current
intruurpting rating, but for most home applications that can be overlooked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also should have mentioned there are slow blow or time delay fuses for
starting motors like the air conditioner will have and regular blow time
fuses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote in
:

On May 17, 5:10*pm, SMcK wrote:
On May 17, 4:55*pm, SMcK wrote:

When the AC stopped working I pulled the fuses and detemined that
one was bad.

The fuses in there were FLN R 20s: time delay, dual element, 20
amp, up to 250 volts.

The closest I could find at the store are FRN R 20: time delay,
dual element, 20 amp, 250 volt, heavy duty.

Can I use the FRN in place of the FLN?

-Scott

FYI - the original FLRN was Littlefuse. *The FRNR is Bussman. *I foun

specs on line that say the FLNR is 125/250 volts and the FRNR is
250volts.

-Scott

Make sure you buy two.

When you put the first one in, good chance it will blow right away, if
the fault that caused the original one still exists. Which it
probably does.

How about putting the old one that didn't blow in the slot of the one
that did blow and put a new one in it's place. At least if it blows
again you'll still have two new ones. Once the root cause is fixed put
the two new ones in and use the old good one for a spare.

Just a thought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 7:15*pm, Red Green wrote:
TimR wrote :

On May 17, 5:10*pm, SMcK wrote:
On May 17, 4:55*pm, SMcK wrote:

[...]

Just a thought.- Hide quoted text -

I have blown two fuses for my central air conditionaing compressor in
40 years, I just replaced the fuse and things ran fine for another 20
years when the other of the pair blew. Fuses do get stressed somewhat
if they are being used somewhere close to their fusing point and will
eventually give out if there is even a slight surge from whatever
cause. So the OP should not necessarily assume there is a fault
unless the new fuse also blows when it is in the same position of the
pair as the fuse that originally blew.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have blown two fuses for my central air conditionaing compressor in
40 years, *I just replaced the fuse and things ran fine for another 20
years when the other of the pair blew. *Fuses do get stressed somewhat
if they are being used somewhere close to their fusing point and will
eventually give out if there is even a slight surge from whatever
cause. * So the OP should not necessarily assume there is a fault
unless the new fuse also blows when it is in the same position of the
pair as the fuse that originally blew.- Hide quoted text -

FWIW - I've had the same fuses inthere for the 11 years I've been in
this house. For the one that blew, perhaps it was just its time.

-Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in
:

On May 17, 7:15*pm, Red Green wrote:
TimR wrote
innews:e1609a49-7a14-45dc-82d0-150ef22095

:

On May 17, 5:10*pm, SMcK wrote:
On May 17, 4:55*pm, SMcK wrote:

[...]

That's why I said IF it blows.

At least if it blows

unless the new fuse also blows when it is in the same position of the
pair as the fuse that originally blew.

Which was the whole point of my reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 8:10*pm, SMcK wrote:
I have blown two fuses for my central air conditionaing compressor in
40 years, *I just replaced the fuse and things ran fine for another 20
years when the other of the pair blew. *Fuses do get stressed somewhat
if they are being used somewhere close to their fusing point and will
eventually give out if there is even a slight surge from whatever
cause. * So the OP should not necessarily assume there is a fault
unless the new fuse also blows when it is in the same position of the
pair as the fuse that originally blew.- Hide quoted text -

FWIW - I've had the same fuses inthere for the 11 years I've been in
this house. *For the one that blew, perhaps it was just its time.

-Scott

Same here. Fuse blew on first startup in spring on a new
installation. Other one blew a few yeas later again on first spring
start up. Haven't had one blow since in over 10 years.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMcK wrote:
I have blown two fuses for my central air conditionaing compressor in
40 years, I just replaced the fuse and things ran fine for another 20
years when the other of the pair blew. Fuses do get stressed somewhat
if they are being used somewhere close to their fusing point and will
eventually give out if there is even a slight surge from whatever
cause. So the OP should not necessarily assume there is a fault
unless the new fuse also blows when it is in the same position of the
pair as the fuse that originally blew.- Hide quoted text -

FWIW - I've had the same fuses inthere for the 11 years I've been in
this house. For the one that blew, perhaps it was just its time.

-Scott

Have you had any thunderstorms or power surges?
I usually install an anti-short cycle time delay
module on customer's AC units if they have a fuse
blowing issue when everything seems to be running
well. The time delay keeps the compressor from
trying to start again too soon after a power
interruption. I'll set the timer for 4 or 5 minutes.
The timers are simple to install and not very
expensive.

http://tinyurl.com/3h4xbe

TDD

Air Conditioner Question Graeme Willox Home Repair 7 February 5th 06 03:26 PM
Fuse box question rile Home Repair 8 December 21st 05 08:58 PM
Another air conditioner question Jim-Poncin Home Repair 6 August 10th 05 08:38 PM
Air conditioner question Jim-Poncin Home Repair 7 August 10th 05 04:37 PM
Air conditioner question. mike Home Repair 12 July 20th 05 10:49 PM