Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner Fuse Question

On May 17, 7:15*pm, Red Green wrote:
TimR wrote :

On May 17, 5:10*pm, SMcK wrote:
On May 17, 4:55*pm, SMcK wrote:

When the AC stopped working I pulled the fuses and detemined that
one was bad.

The fuses in there were FLN R 20s: time delay, dual element, 20
amp, up to 250 volts.

The closest I could find at the store are FRN R 20: time delay,
dual element, 20 amp, 250 volt, heavy duty.

Can I use the FRN in place of the FLN?

-Scott

FYI - the original FLRN was Littlefuse. *The FRNR is Bussman. *I foun

specs on line that say the FLNR is 125/250 volts and the FRNR is
250volts.

-Scott

Make sure you buy two.

When you put the first one in, good chance it will blow right away, if
the fault that caused the original one still exists. *Which it
probably does.

How about putting the old one that didn't blow in the slot of the one
that did blow and put a new one in it's place. At least if it blows
again you'll still have two new ones. Once the root cause is fixed put
the two new ones in and use the old good one for a spare.

Just a thought.- Hide quoted text -

I have blown two fuses for my central air conditionaing compressor in
40 years, I just replaced the fuse and things ran fine for another 20
years when the other of the pair blew. Fuses do get stressed somewhat
if they are being used somewhere close to their fusing point and will
eventually give out if there is even a slight surge from whatever
cause. So the OP should not necessarily assume there is a fault
unless the new fuse also blows when it is in the same position of the
pair as the fuse that originally blew.