Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Air Conditioner Fuse Question

"SMcK" wrote in message
On May 17, 5:30 pm, TimR wrote:
On May 17, 5:10 pm, SMcK wrote:

On May 17, 4:55 pm, SMcK wrote:

When the AC stopped working I pulled the fuses and detemined that one
was bad.

The fuses in there were FLN R 20s: time delay, dual element, 20 amp,
up to 250 volts.

The closest I could find at the store are FRN R 20: time delay, dual
element, 20 amp, 250 volt, heavy duty.

Can I use the FRN in place of the FLN?

-Scott

FYI - the original FLRN was Littlefuse. The FRNR is Bussman. I found
specs on line that say the FLNR is 125/250 volts and the FRNR is
250volts.

-Scott

Make sure you buy two.

When you put the first one in, good chance it will blow right away, if
the fault that caused the original one still exists. Which it
probably does.- Hide quoted text -

Actually, I should have said - there were two in there before, only
one of which blew. The replacements came two-to-a-pack, so I do have
two replacements. I still don't know, however, whether it's OK to use
the FRNR as a replacement for the FLNR. Anyone?

-Scott

Yes you can use either kind. There are many kinds of fuses, but many times
you can use other leters if they will fit the holder.

Several years ago where I work the Buss fuse company sent a man out to talk
about fuses. They used to make lots of differant kinds that were really
almost the same. They did that just for bragging rights that they had a
large selection. They passsed out some charts that listed about three or
four new fuses that could replace about 20 of the old types.

Outside of if they physically fit, there are only a few requirements. One
is the amp rating must be the same. The voltage rating must be the same or
higher than the supply voltage. There is also a maximum current
intruurpting rating, but for most home applications that can be overlooked.