Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing a section of drywall

I am removing a section of drywall and replacing it with some rockboard
(durock, hardibacker, etc.)

Can I just cut the existing drywall flush with the existing stud, then add a
second "stud" by attatching it to the existing stud (with fasteners), and
then attaching the rockboard to that new "stud"?

Here's a picture of what I tried to explain:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1923/drywall.jpg

Seems like it would be a lot easier than trying to cut the existing drywall
down the middle of the stud.

Whad'ya think?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I am removing a section of drywall and replacing it with some rockboard
(durock, hardibacker, etc.)

Can I just cut the existing drywall flush with the existing stud, then add
a second "stud" by attatching it to the existing stud (with fasteners),
and then attaching the rockboard to that new "stud"?

Here's a picture of what I tried to explain:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1923/drywall.jpg

Seems like it would be a lot easier than trying to cut the existing
drywall down the middle of the stud.

Whad'ya think?

Jon

YES. But it really doesn't need to be a stud.
A 2x2 or 1x2 securely attached to the stud will serve the purpose just as
well.
It is called a "scab".

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On May 13, 5:44 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
I am removing a section of drywall and replacing it with some rockboard
(durock, hardibacker, etc.)

Can I just cut the existing drywall flush with the existing stud, then add a
second "stud" by attatching it to the existing stud (with fasteners), and
then attaching the rockboard to that new "stud"?

Sure.

Yep, and here is a free hint- attach your scab studs and blocking with
screws, not nails. All that banging with nails tends to make the nails
pop in the undisturbed part of the drywall. If the existing studs are
old doug fir or yellow pine, you may need to drill pilot holes- that
stuff gets surprisingly hard after 20 years in the wall. I did a patch
like that here, and the 16d nails bent as they went from the block into
the old studs. Drilling the joists for wiring smoked the old cheap drill.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
Sure.

Yep, and here is a free hint- attach your scab studs and blocking with
screws, not nails. All that banging with nails tends to make the nails pop
in the undisturbed part of the drywall. If the existing studs are old doug
fir or yellow pine, you may need to drill pilot holes- that stuff gets
surprisingly hard after 20 years in the wall. I did a patch like that
here, and the 16d nails bent as they went from the block into the old
studs. Drilling the joists for wiring smoked the old cheap drill.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice. I'll scab up a place to connect
the rockboard using some of my long drywall screws.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 13, 5:34*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am removing a section of drywall and replacing it with some rockboard
(durock, hardibacker, etc.)

Can I just cut the existing drywall flush with the existing stud, then add
a second "stud" by attatching it to the existing stud (with fasteners),
and then attaching the rockboard to that new "stud"?

Here's a picture of what I tried to explain:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1923/drywall.jpg

Seems like it would be a lot easier than trying to cut the existing
drywall down the middle of the stud.

Whad'ya think?

Jon

YES. *But it really doesn't need to be a stud.
A 2x2 or 1x2 securely attached to the stud will serve the purpose just as
well.
It is called a "scab".

A single screw with construction adhesive should be easiest on the
adjacent drywall.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote:
A single screw with construction adhesive should be easiest on the
adjacent drywall.

Ah, thanks Joe, I'll squirt some liquid nails on it before screwing it on.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a nice way of presenting a drawing. What software program did you
use?

Thanks

--
Walter