Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Replacing a section of drywall

RicodJour wrote:
On May 13, 5:44 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
I am removing a section of drywall and replacing it with some rockboard
(durock, hardibacker, etc.)

Can I just cut the existing drywall flush with the existing stud, then add a
second "stud" by attatching it to the existing stud (with fasteners), and
then attaching the rockboard to that new "stud"?

Sure.

Yep, and here is a free hint- attach your scab studs and blocking with
screws, not nails. All that banging with nails tends to make the nails
pop in the undisturbed part of the drywall. If the existing studs are
old doug fir or yellow pine, you may need to drill pilot holes- that
stuff gets surprisingly hard after 20 years in the wall. I did a patch
like that here, and the 16d nails bent as they went from the block into
the old studs. Drilling the joists for wiring smoked the old cheap drill.

--
aem sends...