Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Replacing section of wood

I have a door jamb that is split where the bottom hinge was screwed
into the jamb. My initial thought was to trace an outline of a piece
of replacement wood over the cracked portion, cut it out, and then
slide in the replacement piece.

However, for strength, I'd want to glue it and I'm thinking that
sliding it in would scrape off the glue. Undersizing it would make
the joint weak. There probably isn't room on the backside of the jamb
for a sister board.

There's probably a simple solution...hints?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a door jamb that is split where the bottom hinge was screwed
into the jamb. My initial thought was to trace an outline of a piece
of replacement wood over the cracked portion, cut it out, and then
slide in the replacement piece.

However, for strength, I'd want to glue it and I'm thinking that
sliding it in would scrape off the glue. Undersizing it would make
the joint weak. There probably isn't room on the backside of the jamb
for a sister board.

There's probably a simple solution...hints?

Thanks

Put glue in the split and clamp to close the split. The wood should not
resplit in that location.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Put glue in the split and clamp to close the split. The wood should
not resplit in that location.

sigh Obvious now that you mention it. The split piece already fits.
Guess I had the tunnel vision of it being "bad" and needing removing.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 11:28 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Greg Esres" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a door jamb that is split where the bottom hinge was screwed
into the jamb. My initial thought was to trace an outline of a piece
of replacement wood over the cracked portion, cut it out, and then
slide in the replacement piece.

However, for strength, I'd want to glue it and I'm thinking that
sliding it in would scrape off the glue. Undersizing it would make
the joint weak. There probably isn't room on the backside of the jamb
for a sister board.

There's probably a simple solution...hints?

Thanks

Put glue in the split and clamp to close the split. The wood should not
resplit in that location.

For every problem, there is a simple solution which will not work!
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

See if the clamp (without glue) will close the gap--if not remove
the hinge.

I assumed that I would remove it anyway. The crack goes behind the
hinge.

Work the glue into the crack with a toothpick or blow through a
drinking straw.

And avoid inhaling?

The glued joint will be stronger than the wood itself!

Almost as good as duct tape!

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:28:04 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
roups.com...
I have a door jamb that is split where the bottom hinge was screwed
into the jamb. My initial thought was to trace an outline of a piece
of replacement wood over the cracked portion, cut it out, and then
slide in the replacement piece.

However, for strength, I'd want to glue it and I'm thinking that
sliding it in would scrape off the glue. Undersizing it would make
the joint weak. There probably isn't room on the backside of the jamb
for a sister board.

There's probably a simple solution...hints?

Thanks

Put glue in the split and clamp to close the split. The wood should not
resplit in that location.

Might add... Use yellow woodworking glue. See if the clamp (without
glue) will close the gap--if not remove the hinge. Work the glue into
the crack with a toothpick or blow through a drinking straw. Clamp
for 24 hours. The glued joint will be stronger than the wood itself!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Put glue in the split and clamp to close the split. The wood

should not
resplit in that location.

Make that "glue" some epoxy thickened with micro-balloons to the
consistency of mayo and use light clamping pressure.

Thickened epoxy is very forgiving stuff.

When the wood returns to compost, the epoxy will still be there.

Lew