Default Replacing Wood Windows

I would like some advice about replacing wood windows.

a) Is this a relatively easy DIY job? Seems so, but are their gotcha's
b) Vinyl or Wood? I think I like the idea of vinly, but are their
advantages of wood (cost, etc).
c) Can anyone recommend where I can purchase replacement windows in the West
Los Angeles Area..unless there are online sites that work out better.
d) Any good online resources for these questions?

Thanks In Advance

Joseph Meehan

g wrote:
I would like some advice about replacing wood windows.

a) Is this a relatively easy DIY job? Seems so, but are their gotcha's

Depends on the DIYer and the job.

b) Vinyl or Wood? I think I like the idea of vinly, but are their
advantages of wood (cost, etc).

High quality vinyl is good, but cheap vinyl is worthless. Remember that
wood has proven to be a good window material for centuries. However it is
quality not materials that make the biggest difference. I would want wood.
I have vinyl clad wood right now and I am happy with them as that
combination seems to give me the best of both.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

As Mr. Meehan says, the DIY question has to be answered by the
particular way the windows are installed and your ability.

A lot of McMansions in the South East are using vinyl.
I still prefer wood with all the painting and glazing compound
maintenance.

If you do use wood windows, insist that all surfaces including the
groofe where the glass sits are fully painted. If it is not, and the
glazing compound hardens, water will get in there and the windows will
rot.

TB

JerseyMike

"g" wrote in message ...
I would like some advice about replacing wood windows.

a) Is this a relatively easy DIY job? Seems so, but are their gotcha's
b) Vinyl or Wood? I think I like the idea of vinly, but are their
advantages of wood (cost, etc).
c) Can anyone recommend where I can purchase replacement windows in the

West
Los Angeles Area..unless there are online sites that work out better.
d) Any good online resources for these questions?

Thanks In Advance

i don't know of a company that makes a wood *replacement* window similar to
the vinyl style that once you remove the stops inside, the vinyl windows go
into the old openings and are screwed into place. if you want all new
windows, i'd go Anderson all the way, they have the best products on the
market, IMO.

PAUL100

i don't know of a company that makes a wood *replacement* window similar to
the vinyl style that once you remove the stops inside, the vinyl windows go
into the old openings and are screwed into place. if you want all new
windows, i'd go Anderson all the way, they have the best products on the
market, IMO.

Pella and Weathershield both make a replacement style wood window. Marvin
makes a type of replacement window that uses jamb liners and sashes.