Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Replacing a section of drywall

On May 13, 5:34*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I am removing a section of drywall and replacing it with some rockboard
(durock, hardibacker, etc.)

Can I just cut the existing drywall flush with the existing stud, then add
a second "stud" by attatching it to the existing stud (with fasteners),
and then attaching the rockboard to that new "stud"?

Here's a picture of what I tried to explain:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1923/drywall.jpg

Seems like it would be a lot easier than trying to cut the existing
drywall down the middle of the stud.

Whad'ya think?

Jon

YES. *But it really doesn't need to be a stud.
A 2x2 or 1x2 securely attached to the stud will serve the purpose just as
well.
It is called a "scab".

A single screw with construction adhesive should be easiest on the
adjacent drywall.

Joe