Posted to alt.home.repair

Default STP in gas for gas powered golf cart?

Golf cart has decided not to start since I put a full tank of gas in.
Local suggested putting STP in the gas.
Thoughts from those who understand this stuff?

TIA

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd want to check for spark, first.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LouB" wrote in message
Golf cart has decided not to start since I put a full tank
of gas in.
Local suggested putting STP in the gas.
Thoughts from those who understand this stuff?

TIA

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , LouB wrote:
Golf cart has decided not to start since I put a full tank of gas in.
Local suggested putting STP in the gas.
Thoughts from those who understand this stuff?

I'd try a can of Heet first -- sounds like you may have gotten some water with
the gas.

Also, I'd like to clarify that if you put any STP product in your gas, it
should be STP *Gas* Treatment -- the product colloquially known as simply
"STP" is STP *Oil* Treatment, which of course has no business in your fuel
tank. If the person who suggested that actually meant that you should be using
STP Oil Treatment in your fuel, ignore everything he ever tells you about
anything mechanical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 10:16*pm, LouB wrote:
Golf cart has decided not to start since I put a full tank of gas in.
Local suggested putting STP in the gas.
Thoughts from those who understand this stuff?

TIA

Lou

If the engine will not crank STP will not fix it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , JIMMIE wrote:
On May 11, 10:16=A0pm, LouB wrote:
Golf cart has decided not to start since I put a full tank of gas in.
Local suggested putting STP in the gas.
Thoughts from those who understand this stuff?

If the engine will not crank STP will not fix it.

And your point is -- ?

He said it wouldn't start, not that it wouldn't crank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , LouB wrote:
Golf cart has decided not to start since I put a full tank of gas in.
Local suggested putting STP in the gas.
Thoughts from those who understand this stuff?

I'd try a can of Heet first -- sounds like you may have gotten some water with
the gas.

Also, I'd like to clarify that if you put any STP product in your gas, it
should be STP *Gas* Treatment -- the product colloquially known as simply
"STP" is STP *Oil* Treatment, which of course has no business in your fuel
tank. If the person who suggested that actually meant that you should be using
STP Oil Treatment in your fuel, ignore everything he ever tells you about
anything mechanical.

Thanks for the reminder. He did not specify.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On May 11, 10:16 pm, LouB wrote:
Golf cart has decided not to start since I put a full tank of gas in.
Local suggested putting STP in the gas.
Thoughts from those who understand this stuff?

TIA

Lou

If the engine will not crank STP will not fix it.

Jimmie

Hmm. This kind of engine has never "cranked" it always starts
instantly. I am going to check the battery and the plug.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 9:16*pm, LouB wrote:
Golf cart has decided not to start since I put a full tank of gas in.
Local suggested putting STP in the gas.
Thoughts from those who understand this stuff?

TIA

Lou

Was old gas in it, the carb holds enough gas to usualy run the motor
for a few minutes so treating the tank wont get it started if the carb
is full of old bad gas. Dropping the float bowl will remove bad gas.
Either starting fluid should start it then you could run out bad gas,
but see if plug sparks first, maybe its even flooded or the plug is
bad and fouled. Checking a plug can tell you alot about a motors
condition. STP to me means oil treatment. Alcohol to me means Heat, I
buy and use Alcohol by the gallon, its cheaper than gas treatments
like Heat for bad or old gas. But Spark is first, maybe some saftey or
other issue is not getting you any spark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , LouB
wrote:

JIMMIE wrote:
On May 11, 10:16 pm, LouB wrote:
Golf cart has decided not to start since I put a full tank of gas in.
Local suggested putting STP in the gas.
Thoughts from those who understand this stuff?

TIA

Lou

If the engine will not crank STP will not fix it.

Jimmie

Hmm. This kind of engine has never "cranked" it always starts
instantly. I am going to check the battery and the plug.

Lou

Check the battery? Does the starter operate, or not? I'd think you'd
know that already.

Reminds me of three college girls I once saw, pushing their car, trying
to pop-start it. I went out and tried the key, the engine cranked over
just fine. I told them to stop pushing and look elsewhere, but they
would have none of my internal combustion engine theory. They kept
pushing for another half-hour, oblivious to reason.