Default Combining 2 golf cart motors

This is for a 2Front 1Rear 1,500 lb hybrid trike. The engine is on one
side of the driving wheel
(rear). I want 45 mph and 20 miles on batteries.

For weight balance and for space, I cannot use the 2 motors shaft to
shaft.

How 'bout this idea on how to connect 2 Golf Cart motors?

Connect 2 motors side to side using 2 sprockets and a chain.
motor(::::::::::::::::motor

On the motor nearest the sprocket that needs to be driven, mount
another
sprocket and connect the output using that second sprocket and a chain.

(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::wheel

Has anyone on this list done it this way?

I am looking for 2 hunking motors with driveshafts. Anyone?

BoyntonStu

I have not done that , but it should work. However if I were doing it,
I would use a overriding clutch so that one motor can drive the wheel
without the other motor turning. Should give you a little more miles
per charge if you can cruise on one motor and use two for aceleration.
It does mean that you only have one for dynamic braking.

Dan

Dan,

You are the man if you can tell me where to find an overruninning
clutch with 100 lbft and 2,500 rpm capability at a reasonable price.

What have you done?

BoyntonStu

Jerry Martes

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dan,

You are the man if you can tell me where to find an overruninning
clutch with 100 lbft and 2,500 rpm capability at a reasonable price.

What have you done?

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu

Would both motors be producing 100 ft lbs of torque?

The drive in a diesel truck starter would probably handle 20, maybe 30 ft
lbs. (low cost prototype parts)

Look at "TDK Motorsports web site" in the Internet. They have info on 60
ft lb overrunning clutches in their article.

Jerry

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dan,

You are the man if you can tell me where to find an overruninning
clutch with 100 lbft and 2,500 rpm capability at a reasonable price.

Though not designed for 2500rpm, the sort of clutches used on "dead pto"
tractors are rated for that kind of torque. AND, because you're not really
dealing with the full rpm, but only the differential speed of the two
motors, they just might work!

And aNOTHER thing! They're cheap. My last one for my old 8N was only $40,
or so.

LLoyd

Thanks guys. I checked the PTO clutches out and they might be OK.
The TDK guys use one on a dyno at over 10,000 rpm, but it is not
continuous.

Here's my application and my requirement:

I will have a jackshaft that drives the 18" rear wheel of a 1981
Kawasaki 550 GPZ motorcycle.

Driving the jackshaft is the 65 hp engine and/or a pair of Golf Cart
motors or another hunking dc motor.

The Kawasaki is rated at about 40 pound feet.

If the engine is off the gear case is unlubricated it will heat up and
it will burn the gears.

If the engine is driving, why spin the motor(s)?

I'd like to freewheel or at least engage/disengage both powerplants.
Any dog clutch ideas?

If the rear wheel is spinning at 1,000 rpm and if the sprocket driving
ratio is 1:3, the jackshaft will spin at 3,000 rpm.

Always open to new ideas.

Boyntontu

BTW What's inside a PTO overrunning clutch? Sprags, or?

BoyntonStu

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote in message
oups.com...
BTW What's inside a PTO overrunning clutch? Sprags, or?

BoyntonStu

They click when they overrun, so it's probably spring-tensioned dogs.
Although I've never challenged it, that probably also means they slam into
engagement.

LLoyd

carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP

| If the engine is driving, why spin the motor(s)?
|
| I'd like to freewheel or at least engage/disengage both powerplants.
| Any dog clutch ideas?
|
| If the rear wheel is spinning at 1,000 rpm and if the sprocket driving
| ratio is 1:3, the jackshaft will spin at 3,000 rpm.
|
| Always open to new ideas.
|
| Boyntontu

Pardon me while I butt in here, but this sounds like a hybrid. If you
have the electronics savvy, or can find it, you could let the motors
freewheel while you use them to provide power to the rest of the vehicle and
the bulk of the braking power. Is the flywheel effect something you want or
don't want? If instant acceleration is important to you, then perhaps you
need the sprag, but if it doesn't matter, let them spin. When coming to a
stop, use them for dynamic braking, which if the batteries have enough
charge, you can dissipate the bulk of the power with a big set of resistors,
controlled with some heavy semiconductors.
Maybe you could even find a wrecked hybrid automobile and salvage a
bunch of it, but then you start all over again.

Spinning the motors is not a problem. It is the engine and its
transmission that needs to be idle either by an overrrunning clutch or
with an engage/disengage mechanical clutch.

Do you have any ideas?

BoyntonStu

carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Spinning the motors is not a problem. It is the engine and its
| transmission that needs to be idle either by an overrrunning clutch or
| with an engage/disengage mechanical clutch.
|
| Do you have any ideas?
|

| BoyntonStu

Have you looked at www.surpluscenter.com at their clutches? They have a few
of all kinds there, and since you know your torque and RPM spec's, you ought
to be able to see if any of them will work.

Have you considered taking a basket clutch from a motorcycle and trying to
adapt it to fit your needs? The speeds and HP it can handle are pretty
decent. For top dollar, you can also use basket clutches from race cars, or
even a standard automotive clutch.