Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thank you, amateur gutter hanger, wherever you are

Spent some time cleaning out my raingutters today. I have to shout out a
very special "thank you" to the halfwit who installed them before I bought
the house. For sloping them incorrectly so they hold water. For using
spikes and ferrules. For mounting them way below the drip edge. For
creating downspout holes by perforating with a 1/4" drill until it could be
punched out with a hammer, leaving a scad of sharp little metal hooks
sticking into the hole. For attaching the spout adapters using gobs of
caulk and too-long screws.

The only thing I don't hate about it is that it isn't rusting. Yet.
--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Spent some time cleaning out my raingutters today. I have to shout out a
very special "thank you" to the halfwit who installed them before I bought
the house. For sloping them incorrectly so they hold water. For using
spikes and ferrules. For mounting them way below the drip edge. For
creating downspout holes by perforating with a 1/4" drill until it could
be
punched out with a hammer, leaving a scad of sharp little metal hooks
sticking into the hole. For attaching the spout adapters using gobs of
caulk and too-long screws.

The only thing I don't hate about it is that it isn't rusting. Yet.

Do you live so far from civilization that you were unable to do better
research and find someone better? Or what?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message
Spent some time cleaning out my raingutters today. I have to shout out a
very special "thank you" to the halfwit who installed them before I bought
the house. For sloping them incorrectly so they hold water. For using
spikes and ferrules. For mounting them way below the drip edge. For
creating downspout holes by perforating with a 1/4" drill until it could
be
punched out with a hammer, leaving a scad of sharp little metal hooks
sticking into the hole. For attaching the spout adapters using gobs of
caulk and too-long screws.

The only thing I don't hate about it is that it isn't rusting. Yet.

Do you live so far from civilization that you were unable to do better
research and find someone better? Or what?

What part of "installed before I bought the house" did you find confusing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
Spent some time cleaning out my raingutters today. I have to shout out a
very special "thank you" to the halfwit who installed them before I
bought
the house. For sloping them incorrectly so they hold water. For using
spikes and ferrules. For mounting them way below the drip edge. For
creating downspout holes by perforating with a 1/4" drill until it could
be
punched out with a hammer, leaving a scad of sharp little metal hooks
sticking into the hole. For attaching the spout adapters using gobs of
caulk and too-long screws.

The only thing I don't hate about it is that it isn't rusting. Yet.

Do you live so far from civilization that you were unable to do better
research and find someone better? Or what?

Or what. You have SERIOUS reading comprehension problems. He wrote, "before
I bought the house". You even quoted it in your reply. The OP had NOTHING to
do with the installation of the gutters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I missed that. So shoot me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

In your case, Joe, probably not a good invitation to make to this group.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 10, 9:45*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

snip

Yeah, I missed that. So shoot me.

BANG! Sorry, couldn't resist. It was a blank, anyway.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in message
On May 10, 9:45 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
snip
Yeah, I missed that. So shoot me.

BANG! Sorry, couldn't resist. It was a blank, anyway.

Then why's there a hole in JoeSpareBedroom's head?

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

What is the best type of hanger to use?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 May 2009 20:53:49 -0400, in alt.home.repair, "David B."
wrote:

What is the best type of hanger to use?

When I did it for a living (so many years ago) we used hidden hangers,
little bracket jobbies that go inside the gutter, hook under the front lip
and over the back edge, then screwed into the fascia board. Very secure,
very clean-looking from the outside. Or we'd rivet straps to the hangers
(and rivet the hangers to the gutter) and run the straps into the roof if
the fascia wasn't suitable.

Here's one that looks about right (no connection, just saying):
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...t_2028_1422095

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
your email, but remove this line before sending, otherwise my filters
will delete your email with all due prejudice. Thanks!

Quilt hanger Jim Hall[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 14 December 7th 07 02:50 AM
I need a hanger. Jay Pique Woodworking 15 October 8th 05 01:26 PM
Joist hanger query Lobster UK diy 13 February 16th 05 11:45 PM
Where to buy sliding door hanger bracket ? D P Home Repair 5 October 1st 04 12:51 PM
Recessed lighting hanger bars Andrew Home Repair 5 February 4th 04 04:09 AM