Andrew

Default Recessed lighting hanger bars

I'm installing recessed lighting fixtures in the ceiling of my second
floor (below the third floor--hence no insulation) in an old
Philadelphia house. The problem I've run into is that the hanger bars
for the fixtures collapse to 14 inches, but the beams are only 12
inches apart. This is essentially "new construction" because I've
removed all of the old plaster ceiling and will be replacing it with
sheet rock. I can see a few possible solutions. One is that I create
new beams by installing 2x4s between the beams at 14-16 inches apart
and then hanging the fixtures as I would if I were working with modern
beams on 16 inch centers. Another option would be to modify the
hanger bars with a hacksaw to make them collapse to 12 inches. Or, I
could look out for some specialty fixtures that would fit. Finally, I
could take the Home Depot attendant's advice and "just let 'em sit on
top of the sheetrock" (which I'm extremely disinclined to do for a
number of reasons). I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks,

Andrew
HA HA Budys Here

Usually those telescoping bars have notches to snap them off shorter. Look at
them closely.

Daniel L. Belton

Andrew wrote:
[...]

The best option would be to place the 2x4's between the joists and mount
the fixtures to them. I wouldn't let the fixtures just sit on top of
the sheetrock like the HD guy said...

AJScott

In article ,
"Daniel L. Belton" wrote:

The best option would be to place the 2x4's between the joists and mount
the fixtures to them. I wouldn't let the fixtures just sit on top of
the sheetrock like the HD guy said...

Uh, but it seems to me that putting 2x4 between the joists doesn't
remedy the fact that this guy is trying to shoehorn 16" wide hangars
into a 12" wide space.

Unless maybe you're talking about screwing 2x4s along the length of the
joists and attaching the hangars length-wise. But that would be kinda
silly, seeing as how the cans fit pretty nicely that way without 2x4s.
But if someone was intent on hanging something inside those joists and
mounting the cans sideways, you'd get by far less expensively by hanging
1-bys -- but then, the cans wouldn't fit.

AJS