Alistair

Default Fitting recessed lighting

I am fitting some recessed lighting under some cupboards this weekend
and I am looking to find the best way/tool for cutting out the holes.
I am not certain what the diameter of the holes is, but it looks like
they are bigger that my largest hole saw.

I have considered buting the Chellenge Xtreme spiral saw from Argos
for the job, but would appreciate your suggestions.

Cheers!
Grouch

Alistair wrote:
|| I am fitting some recessed lighting under some cupboards this weekend
|| and I am looking to find the best way/tool for cutting out the holes.
|| I am not certain what the diameter of the holes is, but it looks like
|| they are bigger that my largest hole saw.
|| I have considered buting the Chellenge Xtreme spiral saw from Argos
|| for the job, but would appreciate your suggestions.
|| Cheers

These are better.

http://tinyurl.com/35gz8
--
Grouch

G&M

"Alistair" wrote in message
om...
I am fitting some recessed lighting under some cupboards this weekend
and I am looking to find the best way/tool for cutting out the holes.
I am not certain what the diameter of the holes is, but it looks like
they are bigger that my largest hole saw.

I have considered buting the Chellenge Xtreme spiral saw from Argos
for the job, but would appreciate your suggestions.

Screwfix do a really cheap thing which cuts up to about 100mm. If you're
really lucky they might even deliver it the next day to the right house but
I doubt it.

chris French

In message , Grouch
writes
Alistair wrote:
|| I am fitting some recessed lighting under some cupboards this weekend
|| and I am looking to find the best way/tool for cutting out the holes.
|| I am not certain what the diameter of the holes is, but it looks like
|| they are bigger that my largest hole saw.
|| I have considered buting the Chellenge Xtreme spiral saw from Argos
|| for the job, but would appreciate your suggestions.
|| Cheers

These are better.

http://tinyurl.com/35gz8

Quite likely though that the diameter of the hole is greater than the
size of the largest cutter there.

Having arsed around with a spiral saw cutting such holes before, I don't
bother any more, unless it was say just one hole.. when I last needed to
do it and didn't have a right size hole saw in my cheapy multi-set, I
bought a separate arbor and hole saw of the right size. More expensive
yes, but not a great expense, (holesaw and arbor were less than a tenner
I think) but it just makes the job a piece of ****.

I got mine from the local B&Q Warehouse. alternatively, they were
selling a 'Downlighter installers kit' basically a set of holesaws and
an arbor, but for holes larger than the usual DIY set - going up to
something like 100mm or so.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Alex

Why not use under cabinet lights that do not need recessing,will save a lot
of work

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=48&cId=101333

chris French

In message , Alex
writes
Why not use under cabinet lights that do not need recessing,will save a lot
of work

Maybe they want a sleeker finish or whatever.

I put those lights into the overhanging 'cornice/pelmet' in some new
wardrobes. Using the right hole saw it was a quick job to fit them
recessed.

In fact given that I didn't need to drill access hole for the cables,
nor screw the fittings in as the hole size was just right, it was
probably just as quick (not that surface mounting was an option)

--
Chris French, Leeds
Alistair

That is precisely where I am installing them! Thanks for the advice
everyone. I have opted for flush fitting so will hunt for the right
hole saw. At least I have saved money by not buying the spiral saw

Alistair