Lobster

Default Joist hanger query

I bought some this morning from Travis Perkins, allegedly for 2" wide
joists, which is what I asked for (the receipt says they are 50mm).
However the actual gap into which the joist fits is only 42mm, which
means I'd have to trim 8mm off the joist width for them to fit.

This is my first time using joist hangers (these are timber- masonry)
so forgive the ignorance; but have I been given the wrong size (which I
suspect) or am I supposed to reduce the joists to fit (which sounds
bizarre)?

I'd rather make a fool of myself asking the question here (where the
regulars are rather more forgiving of muppets) than back in TP...

Thanks
David
Pecanfan

I bought some this morning from Travis Perkins, allegedly for 2" wide
joists, which is what I asked for (the receipt says they are 50mm).
However the actual gap into which the joist fits is only 42mm, which
means I'd have to trim 8mm off the joist width for them to fit.

This is my first time using joist hangers (these are timber- masonry)
so forgive the ignorance; but have I been given the wrong size (which I
suspect) or am I supposed to reduce the joists to fit (which sounds
bizarre)?

I'd rather make a fool of myself asking the question here (where the
regulars are rather more forgiving of muppets) than back in TP...

They're the wrong size - you shouldn't have to trim the joists at all. I've
used these ones in the past:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...95710&ts=80393 and 2" fits
fine with 1 or 2 mm to spare.

Andy

Pecanfan

My joists are a genuine 2" wide, and the hangers I got from Wickes
were also 2". The ones you have are for nominal 2" planed timber,
which is of course smaller.

Genuine question - why would you use planed timber for joists??

Andy

mrcheerful

"Pecanfan" wrote in message
My joists are a genuine 2" wide, and the hangers I got from Wickes
were also 2". The ones you have are for nominal 2" planed timber,
which is of course smaller.

Genuine question - why would you use planed timber for joists??

If the joists are exposed in the room below?

Lobster

mrcheerful . wrote:
"Pecanfan" wrote in message

My joists are a genuine 2" wide, and the hangers I got from Wickes
were also 2". The ones you have are for nominal 2" planed timber,
which is of course smaller.

Genuine question - why would you use planed timber for joists??

If the joists are exposed in the room below?

If they were, that implies the grotty galvanised joist hanger would be
exposed too!

But similarly, when would you ever want joists thinner than 2" anyway?

Anyway - thanks for all the replies: I'm now convinced enough that they
are wrongly sized for me to march back into Travis Perkins tomorrow with
head held high!

David

Tony Bryer

In article , Pecanfan wrote:
Genuine question - why would you use planed timber for joists??

They could be designed for the S4S stuff as sold in Wickes.

jim_in_sussex

Lobster wrote in message ...
I bought some this morning from Travis Perkins, allegedly for 2" wide
joists, which is what I asked for (the receipt says they are 50mm).
However the actual gap into which the joist fits is only 42mm, which
means I'd have to trim 8mm off the joist width for them to fit.

Beware there are 2 types of joist hanger, one is made from quite
flimsy galv strip steel, the other from welded plate.

You want the last for *real* joist hanging ie to butt a joist against
a wall instead of inserting it into the wall.

I've never been completely clear as to what the flimsy ones are for -
maybe steadying butt joints between timber perhaps? Anyone any ideas?

Also most nominal 2in rough cut joists are not 50mm as you might
expect, but 47mm.
Tony Bryer

In article ,
Jim_in_sussex wrote:
I've never been completely clear as to what the flimsy ones are for -
maybe steadying butt joints between timber perhaps? Anyone any ideas?

Timber to timber joints.

.

In article ,
jim_in_sussex writes
Lobster wrote in message
I bought some this morning from Travis Perkins, allegedly for 2" wide
joists, which is what I asked for (the receipt says they are 50mm).
However the actual gap into which the joist fits is only 42mm, which
means I'd have to trim 8mm off the joist width for them to fit.

Beware there are 2 types of joist hanger, one is made from quite
flimsy galv strip steel, the other from welded plate.

You want the last for *real* joist hanging ie to butt a joist against
a wall instead of inserting it into the wall.

I've never been completely clear as to what the flimsy ones are for -
maybe steadying butt joints between timber perhaps? Anyone any ideas?

Also most nominal 2in rough cut joists are not 50mm as you might
expect, but 47mm.

Its not a question of there being two types, there are different types
of hangar to suit different applications, if you look at the strongtie
site you will see many different types to suit different applications,
generally the heavier duty ones are for masonry fixing, the lighter duty
for timber fixing and don't forget to notch the end of the joist if you
are fixing plasterboard so that it fits flush.
--
David
Lobster

Lobster wrote:
I bought some this morning from Travis Perkins, allegedly for 2" wide
joists, which is what I asked for (the receipt says they are 50mm).
However the actual gap into which the joist fits is only 42mm, which
means I'd have to trim 8mm off the joist width for them to fit.

This is my first time using joist hangers (these are timber- masonry)
so forgive the ignorance; but have I been given the wrong size (which I
suspect) or am I supposed to reduce the joists to fit (which sounds
bizarre)?

I'd rather make a fool of myself asking the question here (where the
regulars are rather more forgiving of muppets) than back in TP...

Thanks for all the replies - duly went back to TP today with the
offending items "Oh, sorry mate, must have been in the wrong box" and
now have a set of hangers which fit perfectly .

I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants
I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants
I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants
I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants
I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants
I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants
I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants
I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants
[....]
I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants

David

Floor joist sistering question Neil Home Repair 13 February 1st 04 08:59 PM
floor joist RB Home Repair 1 January 23rd 04 06:42 PM
OT. Metal joist hanger deterioration with pressure treated wood clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 1 September 26th 03 07:46 PM
more surprises - rotten joist and no lintel! Niel A. Farrow UK diy 3 August 15th 03 08:36 PM
Replacing damaged joists DjB UK diy 14 July 16th 03 12:42 PM