Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dehumidifiers revisited

OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

....is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

What is actually dead on it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

What is actually dead on it?

I think all the freon leaked out. It sounds loud, runs all the time,
and no water is collecting in the bucket.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 6:03*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? *I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. *Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly..

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

They are made in china, what did you expect, keep trying
buying,eventualy you will get a good one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Apr 16, 6:03 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

They are made in china, what did you expect, keep trying
buying,eventualy you will get a good one.

well, I kind of expected ****, but I was buying in sort of a hurry to
keep the car from mildewing and the tools from rusting. I wouldn't mind
paying a little more to get a quality product, if I knew what to buy and
where to buy it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?
What is actually dead on it?

I think all the freon leaked out. It sounds loud, runs all the time,
and no water is collecting in the bucket.

Warranty?

It's an LG, if what I read online is any indication (trying to do
pre-purchase research on a fridge) it's easier just to write it off.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

....is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

I have a pair of Whirlpool dehumidifiers in my basement, somewhere around
eight or nine years old, and still going strong. No complaints.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?
What is actually dead on it?
I think all the freon leaked out. It sounds loud, runs all the time,
and no water is collecting in the bucket.

Warranty?

It's an LG, if what I read online is any indication (trying to do
pre-purchase research on a fridge) it's easier just to write it off.

Perhaps you should give the manufacturer a chance to make good on the
warranty before you bash them. I've had no issues getting acceptable
warranty repairs on most every but my Chevy truck, and in that case
their warranty fraud just cost them a $50k+ sale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 6:03*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? *I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. *Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly..

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

One year I bought a sears, its was fine. Next year I got another sears
but it was completly different and obviously made by a different co,
it failed in 1 month and Sears gave me a new unit. I think they are
all of unknown quality now made by someone somewhere. Take what you
have back for repair and consider a longer extra warranty next time.
If its within maybe 6 months Sears will just give you a new one. I
just looked at Consumer Reports and no reliability rating is given, Id
say shop name brand and extra warranty-replacement policy. Its obvious
they sell junk and know it, if you see the exact same model sold now,
well you know what you can do with that defective one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I bought a Whirlpool that was still made in the US last year but I think
production has since moved to CHina. Look for one that still has a 5 year
refrigeration unit warranty. That is your only hope for a decent product.

the large Kenmore is particularly bad.

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was Frigidaire
and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?
What is actually dead on it?
I think all the freon leaked out. It sounds loud, runs all the time,
and no water is collecting in the bucket.

Warranty?

It's an LG, if what I read online is any indication (trying to do
pre-purchase research on a fridge) it's easier just to write it off.

I've got two dehumidifiers, a Hampton Bay branded unit, and a Maytag
branded unit. The Maytag is ~6yr old and the HB ~10yr. The HB doesn't
seem to indicate where it was made, the Maytag is "made in PRC" a.k.a.
China. Based on the near identical labeling, it appears both were made
by the same OEM. Both still work fine, one I use occasionally in the
house such as when I've cleaned the carpets, and the other is in my shop
and runs regularly.

You can check warranty info on your LG unit on the lge.com site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 6:03*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? *I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. *Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly..

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

My LG went kaputt too, so did my new LG Blu Ray player, both in the
13th month.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 17, 7:16*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? *I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. *Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

....is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

I have a pair of Whirlpool dehumidifiers in my basement, somewhere around
eight or nine years old, and still going strong. No complaints.

Unfortunately, I tried to follow up on your suggestion, and Whirlpool
apparently doesn't make them anymore - or at least doesn't admit to it
on their web site...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are several good dehumidifiers. They are called air
conditioners.
You open a vent at the far end of the basement, you have an inch
opening
under the basement door, for the air to make it to the air return.

It's amazing how many people have a dehumidifier running right
alongside
the dehumidifier for the whole house.

On Apr 16, 7:03*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? *I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. *Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly..

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I'll *try* but based on product reviews, generally what happens is that
you have to ship the unit to a service center at your expense and then
they deny your claim. I think I spent $170 for each of them, and
they're not light.

I did just pick up another Frigidaire at Lowe's today, and while
appearing identical (and I believe, although not sure, having the same
part number) as the one that I bought and returned last year) it
actually appears to function correctly (shuts off after reaching set
humidity and also when bucket is removed,) and as a bonus it's not
particularly quieter than the LG's but the noise it makes is much more
pleasant - compressor is very quiet, most of the noise is from the air
movement due to the very powerful fan.

Now the humidistat on both LGs were very pessimistic - I had it set at
70% RH to maintain 55% RH as measured by a hygrometer... the Frigidaire,
although it's not settled in, shut off being set at 50% RH while the
hygrometer four feet above it read 60%... how hard is it to make an
accurate humidistat? (I know, I know, consumer-grade stuff. But I
shouldn't have to buy hygrometers just to calibrate an expensive
appliance that has a built in humidistat.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

F/U: now I know why the LG in the garage is "dead." Apparently whatever
happens inside of it to defrost it and/or keep it from operating when it
gets too cold is not working. Also apparently despite the fact that I
turned it off the last time I was in the garage it turned itself back on
again today - we must have had a brief power outage. Anyway I found it
sitting there churning away with the display reading "HI" and when I
unplugged it and moved a box that was sitting on top of it I found ice
on top of the unit.

Guess I got a backup dehumidifier, if it works again when it thaws out.
just have to be careful not to use it in the garage if it's too cold
out. Not very useful... (a lot of the time it gets humid around here
before the weather turns hot; e.g. right now. It's maybe 70 degrees
out, but a good 20 degrees colder in the garage because it's been much
cooler recently - and very humid too as it rained for 4-5 days straight
earlier this week. Right now I have the door and window in the garage
open to help warm it up...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Might still be a warranty issue, or an easy fix depending on the model.
I thought I saw freezeup protection in the feature list on the LGe site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure why anyone would put a dehumidifier in their
garage, as such. A garage can develop some considerable
heat, and the dehumidifier has to try to work against that.
The more the heat, the more humidity the air can hold.
If I were doing it, I'd be putting a window unit in a garage
window space, so that the heat could at least be removed to
the outside. And the more the garage heat, the more the
water that HAS been removed by the "dehumidifier" gets
drawn right back into the ambient hot air in the garage.
Refrigerators in garages often have to labor along a lot
longer, too. They are trying to get rid of their heat by way
of their coils, but the heat around them considerably
slows that process down.
But more effective ventilation may be in order.
And I've got moth balls in my tool boxes in the garage to keep
tools from rusting.
Not here to argue with you about your choices, just reminding
that I would make different ones.

Michael B wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 5:27*pm, Michael B wrote:
[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

This is very true, best thing for any basement is more cold air
returns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 20:55:10 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran constantly.

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one a year?

What is actually dead on it?

I think all the freon leaked out. It sounds loud, runs all the time,
and no water is collecting in the bucket.

nate

Less than a year and not covered under warranty???

OT - Dehumidifiers Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 5 June 28th 08 08:05 PM
dehumidifiers sherry[_2_] Home Repair 19 April 12th 08 07:10 AM
dehumidifiers Art Home Repair 13 June 21st 07 09:18 PM
DeHumidifiers The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 0 October 30th 05 01:42 PM
dehumidifiers Mark Modrall Home Repair 5 July 20th 05 12:25 PM