Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default dehumidifiers revisited

Nate Nagel wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
OK...

does anyone make a decent dehumidifier anymore? I bought two
LG's last
year, one for the basement and one for the garage, the one in the
garage
is already dead. Only other brand that I saw on the shelf was
Frigidaire and I actually returned one of those because it ran
constantly.

...is there anything out there, or am I stuck with replacing one
a year?
What is actually dead on it?
I think all the freon leaked out. It sounds loud, runs all the time,
and no water is collecting in the bucket.
Warranty?
It's an LG, if what I read online is any indication (trying to do
pre-purchase research on a fridge) it's easier just to write it off.

Perhaps you should give the manufacturer a chance to make good on the
warranty before you bash them. I've had no issues getting acceptable
warranty repairs on most every but my Chevy truck, and in that case
their warranty fraud just cost them a $50k+ sale.

I'll *try* but based on product reviews, generally what happens is that
you have to ship the unit to a service center at your expense and then
they deny your claim. I think I spent $170 for each of them, and
they're not light.

I did just pick up another Frigidaire at Lowe's today, and while
appearing identical (and I believe, although not sure, having the same
part number) as the one that I bought and returned last year) it
actually appears to function correctly (shuts off after reaching set
humidity and also when bucket is removed,) and as a bonus it's not
particularly quieter than the LG's but the noise it makes is much more
pleasant - compressor is very quiet, most of the noise is from the air
movement due to the very powerful fan.

Now the humidistat on both LGs were very pessimistic - I had it set at
70% RH to maintain 55% RH as measured by a hygrometer... the Frigidaire,
although it's not settled in, shut off being set at 50% RH while the
hygrometer four feet above it read 60%... how hard is it to make an
accurate humidistat? (I know, I know, consumer-grade stuff. But I
shouldn't have to buy hygrometers just to calibrate an expensive
appliance that has a built in humidistat.)

nate

F/U: now I know why the LG in the garage is "dead." Apparently whatever
happens inside of it to defrost it and/or keep it from operating when it
gets too cold is not working. Also apparently despite the fact that I
turned it off the last time I was in the garage it turned itself back on
again today - we must have had a brief power outage. Anyway I found it
sitting there churning away with the display reading "HI" and when I
unplugged it and moved a box that was sitting on top of it I found ice
on top of the unit.

Guess I got a backup dehumidifier, if it works again when it thaws out.
just have to be careful not to use it in the garage if it's too cold
out. Not very useful... (a lot of the time it gets humid around here
before the weather turns hot; e.g. right now. It's maybe 70 degrees
out, but a good 20 degrees colder in the garage because it's been much
cooler recently - and very humid too as it rained for 4-5 days straight
earlier this week. Right now I have the door and window in the garage
open to help warm it up...)

Might still be a warranty issue, or an easy fix depending on the model.
I thought I saw freezeup protection in the feature list on the LGe site.