Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Breaking Big Slates

I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commish" wrote in message
I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Thanks.

slate isn't that hard. you could score the with a 4" diamond blade in a side
grinder, place a 1" dowel on the ground, and drop the score on the dowel.
clean up the broken edge with the side the blade.

you could cut all the way through the slate with the blade. it will just
take you a bit longer.

wear breathing protection (not a dust mask, but a real air mask rated for
small particulates)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2009 12:40 PM Commish spake thus:

I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Get ahold of a tile saw (with water spray or bath and a diamond blade).
Cuts slate like butter; after all, it's just a soft mudstone.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 4/7/2009 12:40 PM Commish spake thus:

I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Get ahold of a tile saw (with water spray or bath and a diamond blade).
Cuts slate like butter; after all, it's just a soft mudstone.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)

i can just see him balancing a 3x4' slab on a tile saw. furthermore, the
widest cut he'll get is about 1' off the side; it can't cut the middle of a
3' span unless it's a hand held tile saw. makita makes one of those iirc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2009 2:11 PM charlie spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

On 4/7/2009 12:40 PM Commish spake thus:

I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Get ahold of a tile saw (with water spray or bath and a diamond blade).
Cuts slate like butter; after all, it's just a soft mudstone.

i can just see him balancing a 3x4' slab on a tile saw. furthermore, the
widest cut he'll get is about 1' off the side; it can't cut the middle of a
3' span unless it's a hand held tile saw. makita makes one of those iirc.

I was thinking of one of the cheapo saws, not the better ones with the
sliding table, which would indeed be hard to use with a big slab like
that. The small ones have a stationary table and nothing on either side
of the blade to obstruct the cut, so you can cut down the middle of a
big piece.

All in all, maybe easier to just score and break as others have suggested.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commish" wrote in message
I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Thanks.

Mexican or teenager, chisel, sledge hammer, go

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marshall Tucker wrote:
"Commish" wrote in message
I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Thanks.

Mexican or teenager, chisel, sledge hammer, go

That's fceukd it. Having grown up in N Wales and worked with "finished"
blocks of slate as a youngster, I know it's fragile stuff. If the OP wants
four nice blocks of slate as a result of his endeavours then this must be
addressed using a flat bed saw. You might get away with a disc cutter
provided that the slate was soundly mounted to do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:
[...]

If he can lift it, I'd take it over to local tombstone company. They may
have a suitable saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in
:

[...]

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie...the slab stays on the ground. You hold the
tile saw upside down by the table and use it like a circular saw :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Commish wrote:
I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Thanks.

I'd try a cheap HF angle grinder with a mess of masonry blades. If it
doesn't work, you're only out about $30.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Commish wrote:
I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Thanks.

I'd try a cheap HF angle grinder with a mess of masonry blades. If it
doesn't work, you're only out about $30.

Well, and an eye and a couple of fingers, maybe. The blade *could* fly
apart and sever the jugular, but that's unlikely. Would make an amusing
youtube video, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2009 6:46 PM Red Green spake thus:

"charlie" wrote in
:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Get ahold of a tile saw (with water spray or bath and a diamond
blade). Cuts slate like butter; after all, it's just a soft mudstone.

i can just see him balancing a 3x4' slab on a tile saw. furthermore,
the widest cut he'll get is about 1' off the side; it can't cut the
middle of a 3' span unless it's a hand held tile saw. makita makes one
of those iirc.

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie...the slab stays on the ground. You hold the
tile saw upside down by the table and use it like a circular saw :-)

Sure; just be sure to wear a raincoat and waders.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Apr 7, 12:40 pm, Commish wrote:
I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Thanks.

If used for roofing, an edge needn't be too square. Use a pointed rock
hammer or hammer and chisel, and knock divots about every 2 inches
along your desired cut line. Knock 'em pretty deep, about 1/2 inch,
and it'll break off fairly cleanly. Clean up the resultant edge by
hangin the slab over a ridgid surface and knapping away. If a square
edge is desired, use a big wet saw or a diamond bladed cut-off saw. Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Red Green" wrote in message
"charlie" wrote in
:

[...]

wait, if the blade sits in a water bath, how do you keep it wet when you
turn the saw upside down? Garden hose?

(if you were kidding, so am I. If not, well, I still am).

jc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:40:00 -0700 (PDT), Commish
wrote:

I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Thanks.

Howdy,

I'll suggest an approach different from the others you have
seen.

(I am in the Northeast US and have learned that bluestone of
quality is now quite difficult to obtain. It used to be
readily available, and quite cheap. That's no longer true.)

So, this may be way off target, but...

Unless you already know with certainty, I would suggest that
you check on the value of the pieces you have.

They may have significant value precisely because they are
so large.

If so, describe what you have to a stone worker, and you
may be able to trade the pieces you have for new ones, cut
to measure.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"charlie" wrote in
:

[...]

:-)

wait, if the blade sits in a water bath, how do you keep it wet when
you turn the saw upside down? Garden hose?

Exactly! Or do it during a thunderstorm.

(if you were kidding, so am I. If not, well, I still am).

jc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 2:40*pm, Commish wrote:
I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Thanks.

If I were to try it, and I havnt, I would score a 1/4" line with a
grinder, position a 2x4 or 1" Piece of wood under the score line on
grass, lift the slab and drop, and hope for a clean break. then do the
small pieces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I like the suggestions here - I think I'll have my brother come over.
He and I can hold the tile saw upside down by its legs. My wife can
hold the hose to keep the saw blade wet.

Thanks for both the serious and humorous suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 9:21*am, Commish wrote:
I like the suggestions here - I think I'll have my brother come over.
He and I can hold the tile saw upside down by its legs. My wife can
hold the hose to keep the saw blade wet.

Thanks for both the serious and humorous suggestions.

And dont wear shoes, then the electricity wont hurt you as it grounds.

16 x 16 slates at HD $3 ng_reader Home Repair 4 July 21st 08 03:30 AM
old or new slates? George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 8 June 11th 08 11:58 AM
Tar on slates. Rick UK diy 9 June 21st 07 12:49 AM
slates not lying flat scunner UK diy 5 August 5th 06 08:22 PM
Salvaged roofing slates Goedjn Home Repair 18 December 23rd 05 04:45 PM