Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tar on slates.

We have 600+ roof slates, with patches of tar on them. We can get most
off with a scraper, but have some stubbon bits. Any ideas how I can
get 400 of them clean?

I am happy to loose some on the way.

I have tried heating the tar, by the time it comes off, the slate is
popping, and bits are firing at me.

Thanks
Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick" wrote in message
oups.com...

We have 600+ roof slates, with patches of tar on them. We can get

most
off with a scraper, but have some stubbon bits. Any ideas how I can
get 400 of them clean?

I am happy to loose some on the way.

I have tried heating the tar, by the time it comes off, the slate is
popping, and bits are firing at me.

Thanks
Rick

Can you not turn them over and use the clean face ?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:52:31 -0700, Rick wrote:

We have 600+ roof slates, with patches of tar on them. We can get most off
with a scraper, but have some stubbon bits. Any ideas how I can get 400 of
them clean?

I am happy to loose some on the way.

I have tried heating the tar, by the time it comes off, the slate is
popping, and bits are firing at me.

Thanks
Rick

===================================
Petrol or paraffin used as a solvent should work. Try a few slates to see
how well it works before committing yourself to buying a 45 gallon drum of
paraffin.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jun, 18:01, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

oups.com...

We have 600+ roof slates, with patches of tar on them. We can get

most
off with a scraper, but have some stubbon bits. Any ideas how I can
get 400 of them clean?

I am happy to loose some on the way.

I have tried heating the tar, by the time it comes off, the slate is
popping, and bits are firing at me.

Thanks
Rick

Can you not turn them over and use the clean face ?

AWEM

The edges are tapred so I can't use the opposite face

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:52:31 -0700, Rick wrote:

We have 600+ roof slates, with patches of tar on them. We can get most off
with a scraper, but have some stubbon bits. Any ideas how I can get 400 of
them clean?

I am happy to loose some on the way.

I have tried heating the tar, by the time it comes off, the slate is
popping, and bits are firing at me.

Thanks
Rick

===================================
Petrol or paraffin used as a solvent should work. Try a few slates to see
how well it works before committing yourself to buying a 45 gallon drum of
paraffin.

Cic.

Industrial cleaning plant? dry cleaners?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dry cleaners?

That's a plan, my local has a '3 for the price of 2' offer on just now.

Julian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mj Mj is offline

"Rick" wrote in message
oups.com...

We have 600+ roof slates, with patches of tar on them. We can get most
off with a scraper, but have some stubbon bits. Any ideas how I can
get 400 of them clean?

I am happy to loose some on the way.

I have tried heating the tar, by the time it comes off, the slate is
popping, and bits are firing at me.

Thanks
Rick

Steam cleaner?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mj" wrote in message
"Rick" wrote in message
oups.com...

We have 600+ roof slates, with patches of tar on them. We can get most
off with a scraper, but have some stubbon bits. Any ideas how I can
get 400 of them clean?

I am happy to loose some on the way.

I have tried heating the tar, by the time it comes off, the slate is
popping, and bits are firing at me.

Thanks
Rick

Soak in paraffin until you can brush off then rinse wash in washing up
liquid and water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 20 Jun, 18:01, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

oups.com...

We have 600+ roof slates, with patches of tar on them. We can

get
most
off with a scraper, but have some stubbon bits. Any ideas how I

can
get 400 of them clean?

I am happy to loose some on the way.

I have tried heating the tar, by the time it comes off, the

slate is
popping, and bits are firing at me.

Thanks
Rick

Can you not turn them over and use the clean face ?

AWEM

The edges are tapred so I can't use the opposite face

GUNK as used to clean sticky oil off car engines emulsifies oils and
grease - a good long soaking may do the job

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick wrote:
We have 600+ roof slates, with patches of tar on them. We can get most
off with a scraper, but have some stubbon bits. Any ideas how I can
get 400 of them clean?

Very good solvent based tar removers are available, Screwfix do one, but
their site is down so I can't paste a link.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

slates not lying flat scunner UK diy 5 August 5th 06 08:22 PM
stainless steel clips for slates [email protected] UK diy 4 August 3rd 06 09:41 PM
Salvaged roofing slates Goedjn Home Repair 18 December 23rd 05 04:45 PM
Best place to sell old Welsh Slates Remove UK diy 7 March 23rd 05 09:05 AM
any roofers about ? strip and relay vs.new duracem slates R Taylor UK diy 3 October 15th 04 05:14 PM