R Taylor

Default any roofers about ? strip and relay vs.new duracem slates

question for any roofers:

roughly how much is a strip & relay compared to replacement with duracem ?

straightforward three bed terrace, 1 valley, 2 chimneys (flashing & soakers)

anyone have an idea how much ?

tia

RT

Christian McArdle

trad welsh slate and having read through this groups archive I've learned
that I ought to stick with them and if I go for a strip and relay I'll end

up with
about 80% of them as reusable slates.

Do you know how you can tell?

When I get my loft conversion, I'll have a dormer extension on the rear,
which will free up a considerable number of slates to relay the front. I
would only need about 50% of the slates to be good, then.

The problem is that they all look pretty shagged to me. However, maybe what
I see as being unacceptable might be considered normal by a roofer.

The whole lot needs relaying anyway, as I need to get breathable membrane
and an unventilated fully insulated between and under rafters system in.

If they do need replacing, I'm afraid it is artificial slate, as the houses
either side have this, so I can't really justify new Welsh slate as it would
stand out somewhat.

I really don't have the skills to do the leadwork.

I had to flash my conservatory and found working with lead to be really
quite easy yet strangely satisfying. It is a fascinating material to work
with. I got some steel shears, which went through it like butter. OK, I
didn't do any stepped flashings or anything, but knowing what I do now, I
wouldn't be scared to do this. I just wish I'd remembered to put the
patination oil on all the flashings, without forgetting one...

Christian.