Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default slates not lying flat

Could someone please answer the following problem we have?
We are slating the sides of dormer with 12x8 Welsh slates.
As we are nearing the top we are cutting the slates shorter to maintain
the 3 1/2 inch exposure we have on the rest of the slates. This is
causing the top four rows to stick out at the bottom when nailed.

What method prevents this from happening?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "scunner" contains these words:

What method prevents this from happening?

Dummy battens, or pack up with slate offcuts.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"scunner" writes:
Could someone please answer the following problem we have?
We are slating the sides of dormer with 12x8 Welsh slates.
As we are nearing the top we are cutting the slates shorter to maintain
the 3 1/2 inch exposure we have on the rest of the slates. This is
causing the top four rows to stick out at the bottom when nailed.

What method prevents this from happening?

You probably need a slightly thicker batten to compensate.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"scunner" writes:
Could someone please answer the following problem we have?
We are slating the sides of dormer with 12x8 Welsh slates.
As we are nearing the top we are cutting the slates shorter to maintain
the 3 1/2 inch exposure we have on the rest of the slates. This is
causing the top four rows to stick out at the bottom when nailed.

What method prevents this from happening?

You probably need a slightly thicker batten to compensate.

--
Andrew Gabriel

grateful for your information .We are in Scotland and the slates are
nailed on to the sarking as opposed to the battens elsewhere, i have
already spaced the first of the four rows but was unsure if this was
the correct method,and thought i would ask before doing the rest, but
imagined slaters must pack the slates at some stage to get them to lie,
to enable them to be nailed flat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"scunner" wrote in message
ps.com...

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"scunner" writes:
Could someone please answer the following problem we have?
We are slating the sides of dormer with 12x8 Welsh slates.
As we are nearing the top we are cutting the slates shorter to

maintain
the 3 1/2 inch exposure we have on the rest of the slates. This is
causing the top four rows to stick out at the bottom when nailed.

What method prevents this from happening?

The gauge or as you call it (exposure) is to close. The gauge should be 5.
3/4" tail to tail. The nail holes in the slates 8.3/4" from the bottom of
the slate.

The other main factor, did you sort the slates for thickness. Start off at
the bottom with the thick slates then medium and finish with thin at the
top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

keith_765 wrote:
"scunner" wrote in message
ps.com...

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"scunner" writes:
Could someone please answer the following problem we have?
We are slating the sides of dormer with 12x8 Welsh slates.
As we are nearing the top we are cutting the slates shorter to

maintain
the 3 1/2 inch exposure we have on the rest of the slates. This is
causing the top four rows to stick out at the bottom when nailed.

What method prevents this from happening?

The gauge or as you call it (exposure) is to close. The gauge should be 5.
3/4" tail to tail. The nail holes in the slates 8.3/4" from the bottom of
the slate

The other main factor, did you sort the slates for thickness. Start off at
the bottom with the thick slates then medium and finish with thin at the
top.

Thanks keith.Sorry didnt really explain the total story .Slates were
bought as 12x8 but were centre holed(never used in the north of
scotland, and the slates came from cental scotland) with only one hole
obviously,so lost the first couple of inches due to the fact that i
would not have had the proper cover laying them as 8x12 ie4 1/2 would
have left me with less than 3 1/2 inches cover due to the centre
hole,so slates were actually fitted as 8x10 which has a gauge or as i
call it exposure of 3 1/2 inches.Hope this explains better.I did
actually lay them thick ones first and keep the thinner ones for higher
up.I actually removed the top four rows that i had cut and used battens
and they are now lying perfectly.Thanks for your advice,all very
relevant.Cheers.