Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Breaking Big Slates

charlie wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 4/7/2009 12:40 PM Commish spake thus:

I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Get ahold of a tile saw (with water spray or bath and a diamond blade).
Cuts slate like butter; after all, it's just a soft mudstone.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)

i can just see him balancing a 3x4' slab on a tile saw. furthermore, the
widest cut he'll get is about 1' off the side; it can't cut the middle of a
3' span unless it's a hand held tile saw. makita makes one of those iirc.

If he can lift it, I'd take it over to local tombstone company. They may
have a suitable saw.