Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default old or new slates?

old or new slates?

Following advice from this group
I'm looking at getting a professional roofer to felt and reslate my roof.

There's a posh side which is visible from the road,
and hidden bits which aren't.

My first thought was to use the old slates on the posh side,
and new ones on the hidden bits of roof.

But if the old slates are from different bits of the roof,
some from north facing, some from south facing,
won't they be weathered different,
and thus the posh side would have a splotchy chequerboard look.

So would I be better getting them to put new slates on the posh side,
so all the slates look the same,
and will weather together?

--

[george]

~ [g] ~
~ george at dicenews dot com ~

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think roofers use a random pattern like brickies (drawing from
several batches and mixing together to avoid any noticeable step
changes).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
old or new slates?

Why not buy more matching 'old' slates from a salvage yard? End of problem.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:03:12 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
old or new slates?

Why not buy more matching 'old' slates from a salvage yard? End of problem.

David

Sell the old ones to a recycler and get back cleaned ones?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:39:48 +0100, George \(dicegeorge\) wrote:

My first thought was to use the old slates on the posh side, and new
ones on the hidden bits of roof.

This is what we had done. New replacements for the ones that didn't
survive being lifted went on the back. About 80% reuse of old slates.

But if the old slates are from different bits of the roof, some from
north facing, some from south facing, won't they be weathered different,
and thus the posh side would have a splotchy chequerboard look.

Not as splotchy as a mix of new and old. If you are not going to get 50%
reuse of old slates it suggests that they are in pretty poor nick and it
maybe better to buy new(*) for the entire roof.

They will be weathered differently but being the same slate in the same
location they will be pretty similar and very quickly become anyway. Far
more so than new/old.

(*) "New" as in fresh out of the welsh mountains or "new" as in reclaimed.
Reclaimed can be a bit iffy though, depending on how old and where they
came from. 50years old and from an heavy industrial area they might not
be in very good condition (acid attack), conversely 100 years old but
from a rural area away from industry they could be fine.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
old or new slates?

Following advice from this group
I'm looking at getting a professional roofer to felt and reslate my roof.

There's a posh side which is visible from the road,
and hidden bits which aren't.

My first thought was to use the old slates on the posh side,
and new ones on the hidden bits of roof.

But if the old slates are from different bits of the roof,
some from north facing, some from south facing,
won't they be weathered different,
and thus the posh side would have a splotchy chequerboard look.

So would I be better getting them to put new slates on the posh side,
so all the slates look the same,
and will weather together?

The 'posh' side?

How much time do you spend looking at your roof? And how much time do you -
or anyone - spend time looking at others' roofs?

Does it really matter??

A roof is to keep out weather, if it does that it's a good roof no matter
what it looks like.

Except that I don't like pantiles and everyone round here who has new roofs
chooses pantiles. We wouldn't. We'd re-use the old rosemarys and fill in
with new or old ones.

Mary

--

[george]

~ [g] ~
~ george at dicenews dot com ~

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think when it comes to selling the house
the first impression is important -
which is roses, roof, etcetera

It's a once in a lifetime job
so i want it to look good -
not splotchy..

there's a house near here with white pointing in half the bricks
and it looks awful (to me)

]

~ [g] ~
~ george at dicenews dot com ~

~
The 'posh' side?

How much time do you spend looking at your roof? And how much time do
you - or anyone - spend time looking at others' roofs?

Does it really matter??

A roof is to keep out weather, if it does that it's a good roof no matter
what it looks like.

Except that I don't like pantiles and everyone round here who has new
roofs chooses pantiles. We wouldn't. We'd re-use the old rosemarys and
fill in with new or old ones.

Mary

--

[george]

~ [g] ~
~ george at dicenews dot com ~

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
I think when it comes to selling the house
the first impression is important -
which is roses, roof, etcetera

It's a once in a lifetime job
so i want it to look good -
not splotchy..

there's a house near here with white pointing in half the bricks
and it looks awful (to me)

I'd agree about the pointing (although some people like it) but who knows
what's going to be important to a buyer?

It might be a pragmatist like me :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
old or new slates?

Following advice from this group
I'm looking at getting a professional roofer to felt and reslate my roof.

There's a posh side which is visible from the road,
and hidden bits which aren't.

My first thought was to use the old slates on the posh side,
and new ones on the hidden bits of roof.

But if the old slates are from different bits of the roof,
some from north facing, some from south facing,
won't they be weathered different,
and thus the posh side would have a splotchy chequerboard look.

It won't last hiugh. Slates all wether down to the same in the end, and
fairly quickly.

And some people like the chequerboard effect.

So would I be better getting them to put new slates on the posh side,
so all the slates look the same,
and will weather together?

Roof Slates - Victorian - (not really DIY) John UK diy 7 May 16th 08 07:50 AM
Clamp to fit across roof slates??? Tim[_3_] UK diy 16 February 1st 08 08:18 PM
Tar on slates. Rick UK diy 9 June 21st 07 12:49 AM
slates not lying flat scunner UK diy 5 August 5th 06 08:22 PM
Salvaged roofing slates Goedjn Home Repair 18 December 23rd 05 04:45 PM