Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clamp to fit across roof slates???

After sacking my builder for being rubbish and failing a building
inspection; I need to sort a few things to pass building control inspection.

The main thing I need to do is to raise my soil pipe above my rear dormer
(dormer is new) but the idot thought he could get away with leaving the soil
pipe alone, the top is only 1m from the opening window.

I need to turn back the pipe and run up the roof, but how do you fix the
pipe to the roof so it does not move around? I am thinking you dont drill
the roof (asking for leaks) can you get some sort of clamp that will fit
across a roof slate by clamping it, then fix the pipe to that?

If not, what is the normal way to do it?

I have tried googling, but its difficult when you dont know what to search
for!

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim" wrote in message
After sacking my builder for being rubbish and failing a building
inspection; I need to sort a few things to pass building control
inspection.

The main thing I need to do is to raise my soil pipe above my rear dormer
(dormer is new) but the idot thought he could get away with leaving the
soil pipe alone, the top is only 1m from the opening window.

I need to turn back the pipe and run up the roof, but how do you fix the
pipe to the roof so it does not move around? I am thinking you dont drill
the roof (asking for leaks) can you get some sort of clamp that will fit
across a roof slate by clamping it, then fix the pipe to that?

If not, what is the normal way to do it?

I have tried googling, but its difficult when you dont know what to search
for!

TIA

FOund this, maybe I can get it to work?
http://www.dastv.co.uk/Gangway_Tile_..._Clamp_240.php

What do you think?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:

I need to turn back the pipe and run up the roof, but how do you fix
the pipe to the roof so it does not move around? I am thinking you
dont drill the roof (asking for leaks) can you get some sort of clamp
that will fit across a roof slate by clamping it, then fix the pipe to
that?

A slate is only held on by two clout nails and can be broken off by
giving it a tug upward. I would therefore be careful using them to
support other structures that may have significant wind forces on them,
I would try and go for the roof timber work, preferably the trusses but
failing that the counter-battens/battens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:
After sacking my builder for being rubbish and failing a building
inspection; I need to sort a few things to pass building control
inspection.

The main thing I need to do is to raise my soil pipe above my rear
dormer (dormer is new) but the idot thought he could get away with
leaving the soil pipe alone, the top is only 1m from the opening window.

I need to turn back the pipe and run up the roof, but how do you fix the
pipe to the roof so it does not move around? I am thinking you dont
drill the roof (asking for leaks) can you get some sort of clamp that
will fit across a roof slate by clamping it, then fix the pipe to that?

If not, what is the normal way to do it?

I'm not sure that there is a *normal* way to do this... I can't
recollect ever seeing such an arrangement. As someone else has said, you
really don't want to be attaching anything to a slate.

Can't quite visualise the issue... can't it just go vertically upwards
to the appropriate height, like a chimney?

Better yet, couldn't you just fit an AAV to the top of the stack where
it is now? There are a few rules and regs [1] as to when they can be
used, but more often than not you can do so:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/22674/Plumbing/Soil-Vent/Push-Fit-Air-Admittance-Valve-Black

David

[1]AFAIK if your sewage pipe isn't at the end of a run (eg a cul-de-sac)
and provided one of your near neighbours has a conventional completely
open vented stack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:
[...]

The soil pipe has to go vertically up.
You can't fix it to roof tiles

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:22:42 +0000, Tim wrote:

After sacking my builder for being rubbish and failing a building
inspection; I need to sort a few things to pass building control
inspection.

The main thing I need to do is to raise my soil pipe above my rear dormer
(dormer is new) but the idot thought he could get away with leaving the
soil pipe alone, the top is only 1m from the opening window.

I need to turn back the pipe and run up the roof, but how do you fix the
pipe to the roof so it does not move around? I am thinking you dont drill
the roof (asking for leaks) can you get some sort of clamp that will fit
across a roof slate by clamping it, then fix the pipe to that?

If not, what is the normal way to do it?

I have tried googling, but its difficult when you dont know what to search
for!

TIA

==================================
Basics he

http://www.wickes.co.uk/scat/goodidea

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim wrote:
I need to turn back the pipe and run up the roof, but how do you fix the
pipe to the roof so it does not move around? I am thinking you dont drill
the roof (asking for leaks) can you get some sort of clamp that will fit
across a roof slate by clamping it, then fix the pipe to that?

My house used to have this arrangement - the soil vent went across the
roof and up to above the top of the attic dormer. Looked hideous. ;-) It
was cast iron and ran totally unsupported across the tiles, but about 6"
clear of them. I removed it, fitted a 90 degree bend and ran it along the
side of the house where it vents well clear of any windows.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim wrote:
I need to turn back the pipe and run up the roof, but how do you fix the
pipe to the roof so it does not move around? I am thinking you dont drill
the roof (asking for leaks) can you get some sort of clamp that will fit
across a roof slate by clamping it, then fix the pipe to that?

My house used to have this arrangement - the soil vent went across the
roof and up to above the top of the attic dormer. Looked hideous. ;-) It
was cast iron and ran totally unsupported across the tiles, but about 6"
clear of them. I removed it, fitted a 90 degree bend and ran it along the
side of the house where it vents well clear of any windows.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Do you need a vent pipe?

I understand that in some areas it is only essential every few houses. There
are alternative air admittance valves - try and check out if you really need
a vent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jan, 21:22, "Tim" wrote:
After sacking my builder for being rubbish and failing a building
inspection; I need to sort a few things to pass building control inspection.

The main thing I need to do is to raise my soil pipe above my rear dormer
(dormer is new) but the idot thought he could get away with leaving the soil
pipe alone, the top is only 1m from the opening window.

I need to turn back the pipe and run up the roof, but how do you fix the
pipe to the roof so it does not move around? I am thinking you dont drill
the roof (asking for leaks) can you get some sort of clamp that will fit
across a roof slate by clamping it, then fix the pipe to that?

If not, what is the normal way to do it?

I have tried googling, but its difficult when you dont know what to search
for!

TIA

AFAIK, the vent doesn't have to be 4" pipe, it could be a thinner
drainpipe. It is only a vent at all. A thinner pipe would be easier to
handle.
Someone may correct me on this.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 1:42*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
On 29 Jan, 21:22, "Tim" wrote:

[...]

Simon.- Hide quoted text -

Not sure if that is 'legal' but that's exactly what we did in our
first house (built 1960). The plumbing drain was 4 inch from about 2
feet above the floor down through and across basement to outside. This
was before the days of plastic pipe, the drain to outside was leaded
joint cast iron!
From there I used a piece of approx 1.5 inch up through the roof as a
vent. Sold house years ago but from outside and talking with the now
fourth owners looks like it's still working OK!
Our current house does have the plastic four inch vent all the way to
the roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
My house used to have this arrangement - the soil vent went across the
roof and up to above the top of the attic dormer. Looked hideous. ;-)
It was cast iron and ran totally unsupported across the tiles, but
about 6" clear of them. I removed it, fitted a 90 degree bend and ran
it along the side of the house where it vents well clear of any
windows.

Do you need a vent pipe?

I dunno - aren't they standard on every soil stack? All the houses round
here have them.

I understand that in some areas it is only essential every few houses.
There are alternative air admittance valves - try and check out if you
really need a vent.

Ah - right. Probably a new fangled invention. ;-)

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
My house used to have this arrangement - the soil vent went across the
roof and up to above the top of the attic dormer. Looked hideous. ;-)
It was cast iron and ran totally unsupported across the tiles, but
about 6" clear of them. I removed it, fitted a 90 degree bend and ran
it along the side of the house where it vents well clear of any
windows.

Do you need a vent pipe?

I dunno - aren't they standard on every soil stack? All the houses round
here have them.

I understand that in some areas it is only essential every few houses.
There are alternative air admittance valves - try and check out if you
really need a vent.

Ah - right. Probably a new fangled invention. ;-)

I thought of the air valve too, but not allowed by building regs (checked
myself) only allowed indoors.

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from sm_jamieson contains these words:

AFAIK, the vent doesn't have to be 4" pipe, it could be a thinner
drainpipe. It is only a vent at all. A thinner pipe would be easier to
handle.
Someone may correct me on this.

Unless the regs have changed recently there is still a minimum size
which is/was approximately 2.5". I used such a pipe within the rafters
in a loft conversion a few years back. Reverted to 4" to exit the roof.

Unfortunately it works as a built-in dehumidifier in cold weather.
Rather begs the question whether the original 4" pipe did the same when
it went straight out through the roof. Being boxed in condensation on
the pipe wouldn't have been noticed.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim" wrote in message

"Tim" wrote in message
After sacking my builder for being rubbish and failing a building
inspection; I need to sort a few things to pass building control
inspection.

The main thing I need to do is to raise my soil pipe above my rear dormer
(dormer is new) but the idot thought he could get away with leaving the
soil pipe alone, the top is only 1m from the opening window.

I need to turn back the pipe and run up the roof, but how do you fix the
pipe to the roof so it does not move around? I am thinking you dont drill
the roof (asking for leaks) can you get some sort of clamp that will fit
across a roof slate by clamping it, then fix the pipe to that?

If not, what is the normal way to do it?

I have tried googling, but its difficult when you dont know what to
search for!

TIA

The normal way to get over this problem is to divert the soil pipe in the
attic under the roof covering further up the roof slope and support the pipe
with clips. At the required height the pipe must go through the roof
vertical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message

from sm_jamieson contains these words:

AFAIK, the vent doesn't have to be 4" pipe, it could be a thinner
drainpipe. It is only a vent at all. A thinner pipe would be easier to
handle.
Someone may correct me on this.

Unless the regs have changed recently there is still a minimum size
which is/was approximately 2.5". I used such a pipe within the rafters
in a loft conversion a few years back. Reverted to 4" to exit the roof.

Unfortunately it works as a built-in dehumidifier in cold weather.
Rather begs the question whether the original 4" pipe did the same when
it went straight out through the roof. Being boxed in condensation on
the pipe wouldn't have been noticed.

--
Roger Chapman

From the Government "Planning Portal":

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...314018395.html

Soil and Vent Pipe

This pipe is used to vent the smells and gases that form within the sewer
system and help to transfer the waste vertically to the nearest inspection
chamber. The fewer bends within the soil and vent pipe between the highest
entry level of a wastepipe to the inspection chamber the better it will
work, generally no more than 4 bends. Above this level the pipe can
terminate and vent externally wherever is convenient. However if it is
within 3.0m of an openable window then it should terminate at least 0.9m
above that window.

Air Admittance Valve (AAV)

Sometimes it is difficult to install to arrange a soil pipe so that it can
vent to outside air. If this is the case, then a system with an AAV might be
able to be used. If the house already has a soil and vent pipe that vents
externally, then any additional soil pipe connecting to the same below
ground drain may be vented internally using an AAV. This is a proprietary
fitting with a valve which allows air to enter the soil pipe, but not to
leave it.

An AAV is commonly used within a kitchen or bathroom or in the loft space
and the waste pipes can be connected to the pipe it vents it the same way as
an externally vented soil and vent pipe. The valve should be placed higher
than the top edge of the highest unit (generally a basin or sink) and should
be in a place where there is plenty of air flow. If you wish to box around
this, then there should be an air gap left at the top and bottom to allow
the air in and out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"keith_765" wrote in message

"Tim" wrote in message

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately too late, I employed a very poor builder!

Tar on slates. Rick UK diy 9 June 21st 07 12:49 AM
slates not lying flat scunner UK diy 5 August 5th 06 08:22 PM
stainless steel clips for slates [email protected] UK diy 4 August 3rd 06 09:41 PM
Salvaged roofing slates Goedjn Home Repair 18 December 23rd 05 04:45 PM
Supply 5,8,10 Pair Clamp Module,Orbit Clamp Module,LSA Profile-Anschlussleiste [email protected] Woodworking 0 October 28th 05 03:26 AM