Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Breaking Big Slates

"Commish" wrote in message
I have some big slates rescued from a demolition project in my yard.
They are about 3' by 4' and about an inch thick. I'd like to re-
purpose them but I need them smaller than that size. If I could break
that large slate into 4 smaller ones, I'd be thrilled.

How hard is this? What tools would I need? And how would I go about
doing this?

Thanks.

slate isn't that hard. you could score the with a 4" diamond blade in a side
grinder, place a 1" dowel on the ground, and drop the score on the dowel.
clean up the broken edge with the side the blade.

you could cut all the way through the slate with the blade. it will just
take you a bit longer.

wear breathing protection (not a dust mask, but a real air mask rated for
small particulates)